Fight the power!

Row!
- 0 (0%)
Row!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 16, 2013, 01:03:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: ☼SILVERGOOSE☼ Of Masterworks, Mephs and Magma.  (Read 24024 times)

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
Re: ☼SILVERGOOSE☼ Of Masterworks, Mephs and Magma.
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2013, 05:07:19 pm »

You cant undo mental damage in DF. Once babbling, babbing till die of thirst. Vampire will babble forever. Keep him as a mascot. :)

Off topic but I have to ask: is there anyway, modding wise, that mental damage can be reversed?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2013, 05:30:39 pm »

No. Maybe dfhack, but I never heard of it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2013, 05:54:32 pm »

Y'know...

You could crush him, forbid the corpse, then flood his room with water, make a well, and in case of emergency, tell everyone to drink the cool-aid.  Then we have the first, to my knowledge, Masterwork Vampire fortress.

Silvergoose: Studded with pointy fangs and an insatiable thirst?

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2013, 06:02:25 pm »

Well, if he babbles forever then we're still an immortal fortress.  I tell ya, that first month I was really tempted to pick four or five of the more stable dorfs and take some seeds and picks to a hasty bunker. 

That would have made for a good story, come to think of it.  I feel guilty for not writing a narrative ... there's still two weeks of game time left, wonder if that's enough time to manage Grimmash's idea of the Iron Maiden?  Gold Maiden, maybe. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2013, 07:38:56 pm »

6th Timber, Late Autumn.
The fortress now has plenty of gold.  The year is nearly finished and I didn’t write up a narrative for the Overseer.  Actually, after the first week of Spring, I wasn’t confident we’d make it through the month let alone the year.  That doesn’t make for an interesting thread so, sorry for that. 

9th Timber.
We have a were-bunny!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He’s pretty good with the new Centaurs come to join the fun:

But against a Giant DrowSpider, not so much a contest.

9th Timber.
Dang.  Nish Dugan, our level 5 Diagnostician, is running around and babbling.  No red message yet but clearly he didn’t find the Tree of Life for his artifact.  18, soon.

19th Moonstone, Early Winter.
Not much to report, just working on projects as labor allows.  70 Orcs and bats still hanging around outside the walls.

14th Opal, mid-Winter.
Now our Vampire, Urvash, is running around babbling. 

20 Opal.
Dugan Shus was Guilded as a Farmer.  That’s double duty because he’s also a level 7 Cook.  He’s also a level 11 Engraver but that’s not of immediate use.  Since we have so few laborers, it seems more important to maximize stack size yield of the farm plots.

18 dwarves plus 4 infants and children.  Nobody is hungry or thirsty.  The vampire is miserable, 2 are happy, 1 Fishworker is inexplicably ecstatic and everyone else is content.

2nd Obsidian, late winter.
Kogsak Lal, child, is taken by a mood.  A fey mood.  Finally!  And then he naturally grabbed 5 wooden logs, half our remaining supply.  We now have a one-year old, level 10 Woodcrafter.

17th Obsidian.

Just tapped out on the charcoal for working the gold.  7,000 coins currently in stock, 4 logs and perhaps a dozen trees on the surface within the walls, should be enough.  The broached cavern is barren of moss but purple shrubs are showing up on the sand.  The Giant Drowspiders outside are breeding!  One more week, next Overseer’s problem.  Anyway, the Elite Orcs are bored and using them for target practice.

Year End Summary:
18 dwarves, 4 infants and children.  Booze and food in stock.  Barbarians at the gates (76 Orcs and bats).

Workshops added:
- Embassy.
- Guildhall.
- Garrison.   For someday.
- Tavern. Waiting on instruments for mood.
- Stonecrafter’s Shop: we have no wood, so …
- Prison.  For the next tantrum spiral!
- Crematorium.  Burning crawfish shells for ash => potash.
- Apothecary.

Other:
Some workshops were moved closer to raw materials (Farmer’s next to Pig Tails). 
Potash placed next to strategic farm plots.
Pig Tails are now being spun to threads and woven to cloth.
Pig Tails, Plump Helmets, Strawberries and Cave Wheat are now cycling.
Plenty of gold and more discovered but not mined.  Mensrea: no cheating but I don’t consider DFHack digv to be a cheat since the dwarves would mine it anyway one tile at a time.

It may not have been those gold-rock mugs which brought the invaders: there are several high value artifacts including one Orichalcum large dagger worth 102K.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Notes for the next Overseer.
- Sorry about the invaders, not much I could do about it.
- Most of the farm plots were removed but nothing that had plants growing.  A smaller plot tended by an experienced planter and fertilized gives more than enough of anything, anyhow.  I was concerned about the booze so there’s a 3x5 strawberry plot on the surface and another for bloated tubers come Spring.  Lots of steeloaks (good, because this embark has no flux).  There’s no Thatchery or Library system yet in place.
- Most of the wood was turned into hundreds of planks before my turn so energy will be your biggest constraint.  The Bloody Gem is visible on level 121 just outside the drawbridge.  I never found any coal or anthracite.  Ores, plenty.  Levers are marked.
- Most everything in stocks was forbidden last Spring.  It’s unforbidden now (except ammo) since that makes it easier to collect if you should ever get a caravan.
- Fish ponds are incredibly productive.  We haven’t fished since summer, have been putting ‘em up ever since before they can rot. 
- The Mayor is not particularly pleased with the quality of his quarters.  I didn’t care that much and was short-handed all year. 
- Doctors all succumbed to infection, tantrums or insanity.  You might want to pick somebody and Guild them.
- There are large, general stockpiles; I broke some up but not all of them.
- Some of the caverns go off-screen.  It was suggested to use those for caravans.  I considered it but without a militia, who knows what’s first to come through?
- Labor is in short supply so I had to use most everyone for everything.  You’ll likely want to adjust Therapist right away.
- Since we’re no longer eating the vermin, they’re making a comeback.
- Late Winter, I’ve just noticed the well and cistern are fed directly from surface water without a pump.  It’s stagnant water.
- You aren’t getting many dwarves but some of them are quite skilled.  Good luck!

Ending stats:

Here’s the save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8255
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2013, 08:02:54 pm »

The well issue is compounded by the fact that a drake died in there.

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2013, 08:28:17 pm »

Great job, jimboo. I think you have restored some semblance of order to our madness. Now that food is covered we can begin to think about perhaps growing some tree plots for fuel. I'm pretty sure I embarked with lots of fungiwood seeds so the next overseer can get some of those planted for our renewable energy.

I also don't consider digv to be a cheat: it does the same thing a player could do but without all the tedious micro. I also don't consider having kids do certain labors to be cheating; throughout history and all across the world there are jobs that kids as young as 4 or 5 do. Honestly I think its fucking ridiculous that they are just allowed to lounge around and suck up resources until 12 in vanilla (I think masterwork changed it to a much more reasonable eight). I mean what the hell is this? Some kind of progressive, liberal society or something? We don't need no stinkin' values!

Pi_age, your turn is up. Will you take SILVERGOOSE into its golden age of prosperity and rampant violence? Whatever happens just don't let the vampire out; he is our insurance. As long as he's trapped in his cell secluded bunker the fortress will persist.

On another note: I believe the Human historian Monty Python once documented the horror that is the WERE-RABBIT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

pi_Age

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2013, 06:21:28 pm »

The old and the new mayor.

Asen Hexchopped, the mayor, was interrupted by Othsal Spewprofane while making a rock pot.

- What is it Othsal?

- Make me mayor!

- Why should I?

- I… I will bring greatness to Silvergoose! It will be splendorous . And I… I have a plan against the invaders.
Asen stops and stare at Othsal, clicking his tongue. She stands still, making no motion, as if turned to stone, intimidated by his stare.

- Tell me Othsal, what is your plan?

After a long pause, no words, Asen shouts: Spit it out!

Shaking and babbling,  Othsal replies, in a single breath:

- See, we have lots of lakes in the fortress’ surrounding and our reservoir has only stagnant wate; we can make a trap, drown them while making a jolly waterfall in our meeting hall and the water in the reservoir will run again with all of this!

Asen stops clicking his and takes a deep breath.

- Well, Othsal, I think we have a new mayor. Let’s see if your creativity will do us good.

----------------------
I went to rearrange the mayor's holdings. The mayor requests it's holdings to be decent, and they were standard.

check the before and after of the dining room:

Yes, all I did was resize the room and it goes from standard to decent. As we can see, the walls being part of the room makes a difference.

And I put 2 alunite statues in the bedroom.

For the waterfall I'll make 2 pump screws out of copper. I'm still thinking of a way to lure and drown the invaders, my main focus.

--------------
Now, is my writing good enough? English is not my native language, please point me any mistakes I'm making.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2013, 06:58:26 pm »

Orcs are goblin-kin.  Doesn't that mean they breathe through osmosis too?  (Goblins don't drown, although the DO freeze.)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

pi_Age

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2013, 07:12:10 pm »

Then it's time for !SCIENCE!. Let's see if the orcs can die by drowning. If they live, a fall many z-levels high should do the trick.

The orcs have dozens of drowspiders with them. And they are breeding, real quickly.

Would be awesome to trap a pair (or more) of the spiders for it's rare silk tough. Any ideas on how?

Alas, we have a ghost even with 2 memorial slabs engraved to it. I fear more will rise.

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2013, 07:22:19 pm »

Your English is better than the English of most English speaking people I know. Murica'

pi_Age

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2013, 07:23:55 pm »

Just received a blessing from Armok seven z-levels below cavern floor, at level 114.

Wood! and our hidden volcano leading to the great magma sea (and cotton candy from level 104 and below).

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2013, 07:46:31 pm »

Your writing is fine, don’t give it another thought. 

Before and after screen shots of the Dining Hall: you meant before and after shots of the Mayor’s quarters, right?  Cuz, that’s not the Dining Hall.  It’s in one of the many large open spaces.  Tables and chairs across the top, a few statues scattered around.  Roll the Q across the tables and one of them on the right side designates the entire area as the Dining Hall.  There are a couple of statues in there which I kept replacing when ghosts toppled them, which is the reason for one of the Notes on the craftsdwarf workshop adjacent to the large stone pile.  For whatever reason, ordering a slab to be engraved at an upper workshop is met with “As soon as we have a slab” while ordering it from the stone-adjacent workshops get a “Sure, right away” response.  That reads like a dedicated stockpile but it isn’t.   

Your new guy has an ambitious plan for the stagnant water.  If I’d noticed it in time, I’d have dug a new cistern a level up, deconstructed the wells and sacrificed the buckets and ropes, floored over the one presently open tile, then used a pump to bring the fresh water up to the new cistern and rebuilt the wells.  I never saw anyone complain about the stagnant water, probably because they were all babbling and screaming and tantruming about dead relatives and decaying loved ones.   :)   But it couldn’t have helped the overall mood.  I still think your top priority has to be energy: either use that Bloody Gem or break the siege with your drowning plan to get to the many trees growing outside the walls.  I chopped the few remaining inside so you can make the extra 3,000 coins without burning the steeloaks, should you want to go that route.  (Mensrea: last screen shot I posted shows no fungiwood seeds.  No steeloaks, either, but they’re all planted and a few saplings are ready.)  By now, you’ve noticed a large percentage of the workforce is busy just staying alive; I tried to give you a cushion of booze and food to free up some labor for not-so-boring stuff.  I’m still thinking I maybe should have bunkered up early with a half dozen dorfs, picks and seeds, released the vampire, opened the cavern drawbridge and changed the storyline of Silvergoose.   

… and while I was typing that, you posted another screenshot.  You found the magma pipe and you’re excited about the WOOD?!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2013, 07:47:47 pm »

You found the magma pipe and you’re excited about the WOOD?!
He is excited about raw adamantine.  8)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2013, 07:55:17 pm »

I'm thinking the fungiwood seeds got eaten then. However, magma! Hallelujah!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13