Fight the power!

Row!
- 0 (0%)
Row!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 16, 2013, 01:03:36 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: ☼SILVERGOOSE☼ Of Masterworks, Mephs and Magma.  (Read 24036 times)

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
Re: ☼SILVERGOOSE☼ Of Masterworks, Mephs and Magma.
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 05:25:40 am »

PTW

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2013, 10:07:49 am »

I'll be alternating seasons between this and the noble succession fort, so first update should be tonight or tomorrow.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2013, 10:41:51 am »

I'm glad the fort stabilized. As messed up and crazy as it is, I have lots of fondness for it and want to see it developed for sure. Can I be redorfed? As an axedwarf if possible.

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2013, 01:47:48 pm »

I liked it and also thought this had meant the fortress met its end. Can I be dwarfed again? I ask only for a dwarf that drinks.
Umm... That shouldn't be too hard...

The key to being happy in life is having low expectations. :)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2013, 09:31:33 pm »

Journal of Grimmash, Overseer of Silvergoose

Spring

When we arrived in this cursed swamp, one of my first tasks was to help provide for the souls of our dwarves.  Through all the trials and tribulations we have endured, I prayed.  I’m not sure if my entreaties have been answered, but the fort has survived this long.  But with the deaths of all of our previous overseers, it is my lot now to take off the robes of an apostle.  What good is immortal salvation when our bodies can barely hear the word of Armok?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1st Granite

Looking over the rolls, 74 dwarves have died in this place, and 52 remain alive.  Most of our doctors are dead, yet we have many dwarves still waiting on treatment.

I have adjusted our work details.  We had no farmers, so the Farmer’s Guild members here have been reassigned.  I promoted a few likely candidates into the hospital, to help treat our injured.  I have also ordered a Furniture workshop to be built, in order to help provide cabinets and other furniture for our dwarves.

That done, I decided to look at the state of the fort.

Our losses have left us with almost no leaders.  We have no broker, bookkeeper, manager, chief medical dwarf, or psychiatrist.  I have filled the positions as needed.  Our militia also stood at 20 of our 52 souls.  I have returned the vast majority of our troops to civilian life, and created smaller squads to enhance training gains.

Here is our main hall, filled with almost all of our buildings.  This will not do.

This is the dining hall, and the location of our temporary hospital.

The well contains two dead drakes.  The rest of the fortress, if we can call it such, is a long vertical staircase and random tunnels branching off into the darkness.

My first major task will be relocating our religious buildings into a proper wing, with room for two shrines, two alters and the temple and monastery.

23rd Granite

Work progresses on the Abbey.  I also dug out office space for our newly appointed nobles.  Digging is nearly done, so I will designate new space to relocate the researcher’s offices and labs.

4th Slate

Migrants have come to the fortress.  I can only hope they are mostly able-bodied dwarves and not a horde of children. 

5th Slate

24 arrived, with almost none of note.  I have drafted more miners and made sure the rest can haul. 

7th Slate

One of the migrants is a vampire.  At first I thought it one of the new migrants, but now I believe it is one of the priests who came last year.  I took a look at the records, and found this to be rather strange:

I have locked him into a warren, and made him bookkeeper.  I also built him a shrine to Armok.  If he feels no hunger, we’ll know for sure.  In the case that he is a vile fiend, at least we can take solace knowing his only task will be counting our stocks and prayer for salvation until madness overtakes him.

14th Felsite

The elves have sent a few traders our way.  I sent goods out to them, no wood items among them, and they refuse to trade.  If the tree lovers are going to act with such oblivious ignoreance to reality, they leave me no choice.  We need the drink and food they have to survive with all our migrants.  A few lives given to Armok will save the entire fortress.

18th Felsite

While I tried to enact a plan to trap the merchants, a siege appeared. About thirty dark stranglers have come to our borders.  I have ordered our dwarves to close the bridge and hole up.  We haven’t the time to deal with these fiends.  Thank Armok for the wall that protects us.

25th Felsite

Spring has come near to its end.  I am still engrossed reorganizing our fortress, behind our barricades, waiting for the stranglers to lose interest.  Just in case they do not, I am building a device which should allow us some safety from the beasts.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2013, 09:42:44 pm »

Great! I was envisioning a dedicated wing for the religious structures, but just didn't get to it fast enough. I really enjoyed reading the update, this fort has seen devastation, thats for sure.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2013, 01:42:50 am »

Ok - Question time:  Do marksdwarves just not work in Masterwork?  On this fort, and a few others, even when I have ammo, quivers, and crossbows, when I station marksdwarves across fortifications from something, then give a kill order, they do nothing.  So damn annoying.

In other news, Summer and Autumn will be one update.  We've been staying mildly ahead of starvation for 4 months now.  I am curious, what happened with farms?  Are they still on hard mode?  Did no one plant anything?  I started the save with just some steeloak planted, and a few empty farms and about 300 food.  Haven't been able to actually get a caravan yet, and none of the crops planted in spring have come up yet, which is odd if hard mode was turned off.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2013, 03:21:19 am »

Ok - Question time:  Do marksdwarves just not work in Masterwork?  On this fort, and a few others, even when I have ammo, quivers, and crossbows, when I station marksdwarves across fortifications from something, then give a kill order, they do nothing.  So damn annoying.

In other news, Summer and Autumn will be one update.  We've been staying mildly ahead of starvation for 4 months now.  I am curious, what happened with farms?  Are they still on hard mode?  Did no one plant anything?  I started the save with just some steeloak planted, and a few empty farms and about 300 food.  Haven't been able to actually get a caravan yet, and none of the crops planted in spring have come up yet, which is odd if hard mode was turned off.

I actually have that problem in vanilla DF more often then in masterwork.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2013, 09:16:49 am »

Harder farming is on, whether its intentional or not, I saw crops only once in my year, right at the end. Not sure how things developed for Maskwolf's turn.

I'm not sure about the marksdwarfs, I can always get them to work, so its not Masterwork as such. Are they standing right next to the fortifications? Cause you have to be a certain level of skill to shoot through if you arent right next to them.

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2013, 09:43:20 am »

From my experience military dwarves in general tend to do whatever the hell they please. Just try to station them somewhere appropriate and hope they do their job. Or enlist 4 times as many dwarves in the hopes that a fraction of them will do their job. I find that making 2x2 rooms with doors along the fortification wall will force them to station right next to the firing ports.

In regards to the food and having looked over the 4f changelog it seems that many launcher GUI things didn't work right in 4e...so harder farming may be on along with many other things that were not intended. It also seems as if disabling vampires did nothing because "fear the night" vampires are still spawning. So basically, we have a game with vampires, hard modes and 900 times the normal amount of necromancers.

From the screenshots it looks like farms had been destroyed since the turn I played - maybe from tantruming? Come to think of it that might just be the source of the food woes. Either way, an entire level will probably have to be devoted to agriculture and the number of farm plots will have to be quadrupled. The problem with this fort was that its population grew way faster than its number of farms/farm workers did. It just seems like the damn migrants keep coming...even despite the danger...and often in large numbers.

At this point locking further migrant waves out may be preferable to letting them into the fortress to socialize, starve and cause more tantrums. Or maybe just turn migrants into impromptu militia, have them wrestle the stranglers and various wildlife to death, and then keep them from getting into the fortress proper.

On the plus side this is the most desperate fortress I have ever witnessed/played. It makes everything more fun to be at least a day or so away from starvation at all times. After all is said and done, and if we can make it, we will be blessed with a fortress full of traumatized dwarves who no longer care about anything anymore.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2013, 09:47:06 am »

Ok.  Farms duly noted, and I'll expand the crap out of them.  I'm no longer eating vermin exclusively, but it's going to be a fun trip through the end of the turn.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2013, 10:30:05 am »

Marksdwarves: I’ve never experienced a problem with any ☼Masterwork☼ version.  Javelins trump crossbows, by a lot.  It’s line of sight so targeting should be automatic for anyone outside those wooden walls.  Scarecrows take the place of pastured kittens in vanilla.  Scarecrows don’t last long but they’re cheap and a lot faster to set up than a stone decoy on a 2z pillar.   

Grimmash:  ahh … g’luck.  Please try to keep me alive long enough for my turn.   :)
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2013, 11:38:36 am »

Ranged units without a valid path to their target will not shoot if set to "kill" order. But if you just station them there, they should shoot at everything that comes in sight.

And I like how people completely freak out, just because farms are slower. Why not order a trade licence, buy food for hard cash in form of coins, or build 10 fishfarms underground, or go hunting in the caverns with your military? ;) I also saw a lot of pets in one screenshot. Better to eat them, than to starve.

PS: The Herbalists Lab can cultivate plants instantly, if you have the ingredients.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2013, 12:27:55 pm »

Ranged units without a valid path to their target will not shoot if set to "kill" order. But if you just station them there, they should shoot at everything that comes in sight.

And I like how people completely freak out, just because farms are slower. Why not order a trade licence, buy food for hard cash in form of coins, or build 10 fishfarms underground, or go hunting in the caverns with your military? ;) I also saw a lot of pets in one screenshot. Better to eat them, than to starve.

PS: The Herbalists Lab can cultivate plants instantly, if you have the ingredients.

We are freaking out not because farming takes longer, but because we didn't know it would take longer and thus did not prepare adequately. Honestly, harder farming is really cool and actually feels appropriate, you just have to plan a little more and have way more farms and farmers in general which usually is not a problem. If pets were eaten dwarves would probably tantrum.

Question about fish farms: are nets and poles used up when farming? In the raws it looked like they were but I could have sworn I had used it before and they persisted. Admittedly, I kinda always forget about those things, but now would be a good time to build about ten or so. I am also curious if the ponds on the inside of the wall are being fished out.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2013, 01:29:12 pm »

They have a 5-10% chance of being used up, if I remember correctly. They break at some point, but can be used multiple times.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13