Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19

Author Topic: BM: Sprint Redux! - The Age of Lead - Day Three - GAME OVER - MAFIA WIN  (Read 52031 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners Mafia: Sprint Redux! - The Age of Lead - Day One - The Blood Rain
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2013, 06:56:08 pm »

How successful do you think that has been? Do you think anyone is scummy enough to warrant a lynch?

Inconsistencies, no, not yet.

FoS @ ElephantParade (is that what the dark blue is used for here?). He seems overly eager to point fingers at others and accuse them of not scum-hunting. That could be a product of many things, but of all so far, he seems most suspicious to me.

@Luke: funny, but dangerous.

Have I accused anybody other than you of not scumhunting? Remember, this is RVS. The entire point is to accuse random people.

You, on the other hand, are either useless town or scum. Unvote, vote makeinu. I may unvote you if you begin actually doing stuff.

If we can't find anybody more suspicious, I say we lynch him. A mislynch is bad, but he's not doing much.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2013, 08:27:06 pm »

Have I accused anybody other than you of not scumhunting? Remember, this is RVS. The entire point is to accuse random people.

You, on the other hand, are either useless town or scum. Unvote, vote makeinu. I may unvote you if you begin actually doing stuff.

If we can't find anybody more suspicious, I say we lynch him. A mislynch is bad, but he's not doing much.

Elephant Parade, everything you've done so far just screams "I'm trying too hard" to me, and your post above really doesn't jibe with this:

Joining, I guess. I've never played Forum Mafia before, but it should be fun.

Nor does this one:

This is RVS. You vote people to get their attention. Somebody is more likely to notice their name if it's in red; also, this way they can't dodge questions.

I think you're playing us, and I think you're scum.

Frankly, I am weary with arguments. But, since you want to engage in a semantics argument, the words "scum-hunting" have only crossed your lips with regards to me. That does not mean that you haven't back-hand accused others of the same:

Superblackcat: Hasn't done a whole lot. Overly friendly, which is kind of suspicious. Might be scum, but might just be new.

Pufferfish: Dunno. Hasn't done much, but did ask questions.

And then, when I do start asking questions, which you apparently see as the only valid scum-hunt technique, you double down with what looks to me to be an OMGUS vote?

Hmmm.....

I was wrong. I have found inconsistencies. And you never answered this question:

Your questions so far have been not-so-useful. Almost actively lurking it feels like. I understand we do not know each other or what is happening just yet, but how have your questions been constructive in terms of finding scum?
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2013, 08:34:22 pm »

To me this sounds very similar to ElephantParade's earlier attack on makeinu. Do you think he is scum because of little contribution?

He is either scum who is lurking or a townie who is not contributing. Both are dangerous. And both need to be eliminated in order to get a clearer story of what's going on.

It is very similar to Elephant Parade's earlier (and current) accusations of MakeInu, because it's what is happening. He is answering questions directed at him, and asking little, which is even less constructive to a town win.

Are you trying to accuse me of Band Wagoning?

FoS @ ElephantParade (is that what the dark blue is used for here?). He seems overly eager to point fingers at others and accuse them of not scum-hunting. That could be a product of many things, but of all so far, he seems most suspicious to me.

So because he found a fault in your play, and is questioning about you while pressuring you with a vote, that makes him suspicious? How so? How does a person being suspicious of you make them a target?

@Pufferfish: Do you fear being eliminated? By either town or mafia.

Elimination is no fun, but so long as I play to my WinCon, I do not fear being eliminated so long as the WinCon is achieved. Shouldn't that be how this game is played? Not to elimination but to WinCon? There's no survivor role in this game so survival is secondary to weeding out the scum.

PPE

Makeinu:

And you never answered this question:

Your questions so far have been not-so-useful. Almost actively lurking it feels like. I understand we do not know each other or what is happening just yet, but how have your questions been constructive in terms of finding scum?

Actually he did.

@Pufferfish: I don't know what questions to ask, but I figured weak questions were better than no questions. I was hoping somebody would say something the tiniest bit suspicious.

Also, I nearly forgot to unvote.

That's an inconsistency for you, MakeInu.

Another few questions, then. How is being silent helpful for your fellow town players? What are other viable scum-hunting options aside from actively asking constructive questions?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2013, 08:38:37 pm »

> The vote was part of an RVS as I considered you as an able player--one who could take down and rationalize anyone else in a clear format. The person lurking--given this game context--I discarded as someone either busy due to RL or timezones. In truth, I..didn't check the profiles for lurking (..I mean, lurking D1? >_> Nice work guys. This is a BM and then you do such things?)
Who is that one lurking--how or what did he do, and why do you think he is a prospective target?

What I mean is why did you vote for the loud player who appeared to be wanting to get somewhere and not the lurker who was quietly shadowing the whole game?

That's a good enough answer. I was talking about Squill's lurking and now I am talking about MakeInu who has, recently, been actively lurking. He's a target as he's added little to no constructive comments, answers, or questions to the discussion. Which, funnily enough, is constructive in itself hee hee.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2013, 08:47:23 pm »

That's an inconsistency for you, MakeInu.

Another few questions, then. How is being silent helpful for your fellow town players? What are other viable scum-hunting options aside from actively asking constructive questions?

Thank you for pointing that out. I had missed it, but it's pretty much a non-answer, in my opinion. My point still stands. As does my vote.

I wasn't aware that I'd been all that silent, and again, it still stands that he doubled down after I started scum-hunting by his "never played forum mafia before" approved method of scum-hunting. Whether my questions are useful to the town or not, I don't know, but they've been useful to me, as has watching. And if you want to know how that can be useful to the town, then consider that sometimes, it's necessary to see the bigger picture to catch the tiny details.

And I'm not the one who pointed out that EP's questions have not been constructive ones, you were.

Do you now assert that EP has been asking constructive questions all along?

Because it strikes me that he's merely flailing about with random accusations that go far beyond the norm for an RVS strategy. As I said above, trying too hard. That, to me, is a scum-tell. "Look at how Town I am! I'm scum-hunting! A lot! Are you scum-hunting? I don't think you're scum-hunting enough!"
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2013, 08:57:45 pm »

How successful do you think that has been? Do you think anyone is scummy enough to warrant a lynch?

Inconsistencies, no, not yet.
So you were scum planning on lurking your way to victory until Elephant voted you? Why did you just FOS when you have a vote you could use?

-snip-
I'm sorry, but I fail to see what's inconsistent about those posts. Can you explain it to me? You seem fairly scummy right now.  And just because someone voted you doesn't mean they're scum. Town v. Town and Scum v. Scum voting are fairly common.

I do think you're throwing your vote around too fast and makeinu has a point. Your vote can be used as pressure, but if you move it too quickly the pressure isn't always felt. Leaving it on someone to see how they react is another good tactic. Also, voting someone does say you think they should be lynched so using it too lightly isn't the best.

Why do you want to lynch makeinu so bad. You scumbuddies with Puff looking for an easy lynch?

townie who is not contributing. Both are dangerous. And both need to be eliminated in order to get a clearer story of what's going on.
So you think lynching town is acceptable if their useless.

No, I'm trying to whether that was bandwagoning or you just agreed with him and came to your own conclusion.

And I'm not the one who pointed out that EP's questions have not been constructive ones, you were.

Hmm, interesting.

Luke_Prowler: I'd like hear more from you. What are your thoughts on the game so far?
Tiruin: Same with you.
Day ends soon and I don't want to waste it.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2013, 08:59:48 pm »

And by soon I mean it seems like its going to end in 13 hours.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2013, 09:34:03 pm »

MakeInu:

Thank you for pointing that out. I had missed it, but it's pretty much a non-answer, in my opinion. My point still stands. As does my vote.

I don't think it was a non-answer. He understood my question and responded in a way that made sense of his motive to me. He told me he was flailing about with weak questions and understood that they went nowhere.

I wasn't aware that I'd been all that silent, and again, it still stands that he doubled down after I started scum-hunting by his "never played forum mafia before" approved method of scum-hunting. Whether my questions are useful to the town or not, I don't know, but they've been useful to me, as has watching. And if you want to know how that can be useful to the town, then consider that sometimes, it's necessary to see the bigger picture to catch the tiny details.

So not contributing can be considered scum-hunting? Are you saying that it is impossible to see the bigger picture by asking questions and looking for motive?

Because it strikes me that he's merely flailing about with random accusations that go far beyond the norm for an RVS strategy. As I said above, trying too hard. That, to me, is a scum-tell. "Look at how Town I am! I'm scum-hunting! A lot! Are you scum-hunting? I don't think you're scum-hunting enough!"

I now do assert that, at the very least, his questions and responses have been vastly more helpful than anything you've contributed.

Spoiler: inconsistencies? (click to show/hide)

I do not see any inconsistencies within those posts. He performed his RVS, saw you acting scummy by deflecting questions and trying to lurk, and started to question why. I don't see an OMGUS here.

Also the fact that you missed his response which was directly below mine strikes me as odd, as if you only spent a very small amount of time even thinking about looking for the answer.

I'm finding you pretty guilty of scumminess, Makeinu. How does staying silent benefit your allies, of which you do have, in any way, shape or form? How does staying silent help convince us that you are not scum, or at least, that others are scummier than you?

Persus:

townie who is not contributing. Both are dangerous. And both need to be eliminated in order to get a clearer story of what's going on.
So you think lynching town is acceptable if their useless.
If htey are not contributing to the town victory, then absolutely. The Play or Die is a thing literally because of this. If they are lurking, they are scum or useless. If they a scum, we got a scum. If they are useless, it eliminates dead weight, narrows down the suspects, and we can finally read their posts in a non-scum manner.

No, I'm trying to whether that was bandwagoning or you just agreed with him and came to your own conclusion.

I can tell you I came to my own conclusion, as much as you are willing to believe me.

Hmm, interesting.

The question was meant to pressure EP and he gave me an acceptable response, and has since then been asking much more constructive questions.

Now, Who are you considering to be your top three suspects?

Luke:

What in the name of Armok possessed you to vote yourself? Why aren't you trying to find out who scum is, unless it's actually you?

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2013, 09:42:26 pm »

So you were scum planning on lurking your way to victory until Elephant voted you? Why did you just FOS when you have a vote you could use?

I'm not going to justify the first question with a response beyond this, nor your post-question comments save to say that I didn't vote EP because he'd voted me; if that were to have been my reaction, I'd have done that long back earlier in the day. As to the second, I don't believe in throwing down votes wildly; I prefer to voice suspicion first when I haven't had the opportunity to properly weigh the facts in evidence as I see them.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see what's inconsistent about those posts. Can you explain it to me?

First he claims never to have played forum mafia, and then he's tossing around terms and strategies as though he were a pro at it? And that doesn't strike you as inconsistent?

Color me baffled, then.

Hmm, interesting.

I'll leave this one to stand.

Luke_Prowler: I'd like hear more from you. What are your thoughts on the game so far?
Tiruin: Same with you.
Day ends soon and I don't want to waste it.

Same from me.

@Pufferfish: I had seven tabs open scanning the thread to look at all the replies at once and be able to quote from them as needed. Missing one post ought to be understandable, but even if it's not in your eyes, that was still a total non-answer in my eyes. YMMV.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2013, 10:07:31 pm »

I do think you're throwing your vote around too fast and makeinu has a point. Your vote can be used as pressure, but if you move it too quickly the pressure isn't always felt. Leaving it on someone to see how they react is another good tactic. Also, voting someone does say you think they should be lynched so using it too lightly isn't the best.
Thanks for the tip, good sir.

Why do you want to lynch makeinu so bad. You scumbuddies with Puff looking for an easy lynch?

No. If I was scum, I might target him, but I might also target Superblackcat, who needs to start posting.

Makeinu: Please start actually scumhunting. All you've done so far is OMGUS the crap out of people. Unless I missed something, of course.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2013, 10:15:16 pm »

Makeinu: Please start actually scumhunting. All you've done so far is OMGUS the crap out of people. Unless I missed something, of course.

I am, ahthankyuh. And one person does not people make, nor does a vote with reason an OMGUS make.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2013, 10:20:21 pm »

I am, ahthankyuh. And one person does not people make, nor does a vote with reason an OMGUS make.

Pretty sure you've only asked questions of the people who've targeted you. That's pure OMGUS.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2013, 10:24:46 pm »

The Play or Die is a thing literally because of this. If they are lurking, they are scum or useless. If they a scum, we got a scum. If they are useless, it eliminates dead weight, narrows down the suspects, and we can finally read their posts in a non-scum manner.
So you support a policy lynch of lurkers?

Hmm, interesting.

The question was meant to pressure EP and he gave me an acceptable response, and has since then been asking much more constructive questions.[/quote] Okay, but you are suddenly defending him.

Now, Who are you considering to be your top three suspects?
Ladder of Scumminess from greatest to least:
1. Elephant, makeinu
2. Puff
3. SBC, Tiruin, Luke
4. Me

Right now I think you and Elephant may be the scum team. I think makeinu is scummy but I think a poor playstyle is mainly responsible and that hopefully this game will cause him to improve. After all, that's the goal of a BM. Everyone else hasn't really done much recently.

I'm not going to justify the first question with a response beyond this
That was pretty much my reaction when this happened to me for the first time. The problem is that denying the accusation is the intended goal. However, your answer made me think that you don't realize how scummy to us your playstyle is at the moment. It's a very scummy playstyle on this forum.

I didn't vote EP because he'd voted me;
Well, the thing is we can't see your motivation. I saw you, who seems scummy to me, go from being somewhat suspicious of a player to voting him and attacking him after he first seriously voted you and tried to hang you.

I prefer to voice suspicion first when I haven't had the opportunity to properly weigh the facts in evidence as I see them.
Ah. Okay, its just not voting anyone but being suspicious of someone is a scumtell. You should always vote either the person you think is the scummiest or at the end of day pick someone you wouldn't mind lynching. It's not like you can't unvote or change it if you change your mind.

First he claims never to have played forum mafia, and then he's tossing around terms and strategies as though he were a pro at it? And that doesn't strike you as inconsistent?
Okay, that makes sense, but he could have read some other games. That's how I picked up how to play.

If I was scum, I might target him, but I might also target Superblackcat, who needs to start posting.
True, but in general it's easier to get someone scummy lynched then someone lurking.

All you've done so far is OMGUS the crap out of people.
He's only done that to you, but other than that I'd agree.

PPE: THis is the third time now.

Pretty sure you've only asked questions of the people who've targeted you. That's pure OMGUS.
Usually OMGUS is only applied to votes.
Sigtext

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2013, 10:26:28 pm »

Then you need to look again.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2013, 10:35:00 pm »

Then you need to look again.

Maybe I do. However, I'd appreciate it if you would quote some things targeted at others, since I don't remember any.

@Perseus & Makeinu: I've probably read around 8 or 9 Bay12 mafia games, so I know terminology and stuff.

Luckyblackcat: Are you not around? Why aren't you doing stuff?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19