Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: BM: Sprint Redux! - The Age of Lead - Day Three - GAME OVER - MAFIA WIN  (Read 52052 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners Mafia: Sprint Redux! - The Age of Lead - Day One - The Blood Rain
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2013, 11:39:48 pm »

Ninja'd.

Are we not allowed to.... Extend?
We can only do it once. And can you explain what you were saying to elephant.

Also, the handy list of abbreviations can be found =http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133728.0here because I was wrong about them being in the OP.

BROKEN LINK OF THE YEAR AWARD.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2013, 11:43:11 pm »

Puffer: What do you think was the best play you did in the previous game.

Uh. I'd say it was while talking to Imp and keeping them from lynching me for so long. As I saw it, my role was already doomed to the lynch.

Why do you think the accusations of MakeInu are a band wagon?

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2013, 11:48:02 pm »

I second the nomination....

Elephant: It was more of a if No one replies, I don't do anything, ( and 3pm GMT is like 8 here, and I'm at school then) by the end of this. I want someone to die.

MakeInU seems genuinely nooby, it has said that it was a noob and that it thought however it played was correct.

You seem to think that you are not a noob, even though you haven't played in a while, maybe you do think that you are a noob, I'm not sure. But you seem to want to kill it (make in u) for a reason that is... Halfway suspiscious at most, attacking her for things that you seem to be doing, since you haven't done much other than tunnel on it, after your initial startup.

BW means bandwagon.

Tunnel means completely focused on attacking it.

Ninja post:

Puffer: I think that the accusations against MakeInU are easily nooby, and not worth killing over. It seems to me that Elephant wants someone dead, and he finds Make the easiest to get rid of. I'm sure it has been scummy, but all of it can be explained by pure nooby-ness, and I'm not up for lynching it (Unless something drastic happens) Until tomorrow, D2. (Where it should be more familiar with how this works).

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2013, 11:48:31 pm »

easily nooby means could be easily said to be a noob move.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2013, 11:50:43 pm »

Makeinu:

After Elephant, who do you think is the most scummy, and why, Are there any that you think is more scummy than Elephant? Which person thus far's play style do you like the most?

After Elephant, I'm inclined toward Pufferfish. No, there aren't. So far, Persus and Tiruin. I feel that I could learn much from them.

Makeinu, What do you think are the advantages/disadvantages of NL.

D1, we're 7:2. D2 we're guaranteed to be 6:2 if there's no D1 lynch. With a mis-lynch, which is always a strong possibility, D2 opens 5:2, a big scum advantage. So, barring good information, a D1 lynch stands mathematically to give advantage to the scum. Thus, the back-and-forth of D1: information seeking. But, at the end of the day, if all you have to go on are feelings and hunches, you're still more likely mis-lynching than not.

flavor text
???

I was curious to see whether anyone would catch it, and how they'd react.

Yes, you're getting rid of someone who's not contributing to the discussion, but it's longer odds that you're lynching a lurking scum, so in the end, you're giving advantage: scum.
Except that lynching a lurker is still better than lynching an active, non-scummy player.

See my response above, to SBC. Just because someone seems scummy doesn't mean they are. Playstyles vary, and what is scummy here is not necessarily elsewhere.

I've read elsewhere that a D1 "no lynch" gives an inherent advantage to the scum. I'm of mixed feelings on this, largely because I believe that goes more to how balanced the game is.
It does, because you don't get information.

As for the second sentence, do you mean that how much of an advantage it gives the scum depends on game balance?

Is the information you gain, which you only gain if there's an informative post-death flip, worth tossing the scum a free kill? After all, the devil's greatest trick was convincing the world he didn't exist. The scum always look to turn the town on themselves. Always. Every game. Every venue.

It's convincing the town to do their work for them: kill townies.

As to rthe second sentence, yes. A mis-lynch can very easily turn the advantage strongly to the scum. Hypothetical: what if your target for lynching happens to be the town Doctor who just doesn't happen to be playing well? Sure, he looks scummy as hell, and you sleep well at night knowing you've done the right thing in removing an "unhelpful" player, because you don't know he's scum, but who won in that transaction?

I'm not going to justify the first question with a response beyond this
That was pretty much my reaction when this happened to me for the first time. The problem is that denying the accusation is the intended goal. However, your answer made me think that you don't realize how scummy to us your playstyle is at the moment. It's a very scummy playstyle on this forum.

Apparently, I don't, because I don't see my playstyle as scummy. Live and learn, I guess.
Basically your playstyle could easily be interpreted as trying to be active without actually doing anything. That's a scum tactic, and you seem to be doing quite well.

Fair enough. Again, playstyle differences. Eventually, I shall learn them all.

Tried to hang me with what, exactly?
If we can't find anybody more suspicious, I say we lynch him. A mislynch is bad, but he's not doing much.

Given his reaction to my statement regarding how suspicious I find him, and having had the chance to go through and reread posts, I felt that changing from FoS to vote was entirely appropriate.
My point was that you may know your motivation, but no-one knows if you are telling the truth.

Always a risk one takes. On the surface, we're all lying to one another.

PPE: Thank you both for the link to the acronym thread, and I presume BW to mean bandwagon. <--ninja'd

SBC: He. It's on my profile.

Pufferfish: I find your CamelCase on my name amusing, for some reason.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2013, 11:52:18 pm »

Also, the handy list of abbreviations can be found here because I was wrong about them being in the OP.
What the? Fixed.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2013, 11:53:17 pm »

Just another thing I forgot to tack on their.... How exactly does notify work. It's not working for me.

Makeinu: But if you think it another way, if you NL, on D3 you come up to the exact same 5/2, except both deaths were chosen by mafia instead of town. whereas, lynching town gets to choose one.

Also, I really want to say she for some reason :<

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2013, 11:54:14 pm »

@Superblackcat: I was attacking makeinu because they were active lurking. I slowed down my attacks as they started posting more.

I have never played Mafia on a forum. I know a few techniques from reading games, but that's it.

I know what tunnel means; I just hadn't run into BW before.

PPE: ...Ninja'd.

@makeinu: From the games I've read, a no-lynch D1 is generally considered to be a bad thing simply because of how vital information is.

Also, I probably won't be active tomorrow before the lynch. Timezones.

PPEE: ...Ninja'd again. But it doesn't matter this time.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2013, 11:56:17 pm »

Elephant: Do you think seeing what the mafia kills based on the information during the day is important?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2013, 11:59:26 pm »

Elephant: Do you think seeing what the mafia kills based on the information during the day is important?

Kinda. I'm not sure how much it should be read into, though. Anyway, in my opinion a 1/7 (or 1/6, depending on your viewpoint) chance of getting scum is better than none.

Superblackcat: You haven't been using a lot of quotes in your questions. Too lazy to bother, or afraid that somebody will find a lack of truth behind your arguments?

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2013, 12:06:27 am »

MakeInU seems genuinely nooby, it has said that it was a noob and that it thought however it played was correct.

Clarification: Not noob, just new to here. Different playstyle requires some  adjustment.

But if you think it another way, if you NL, on D3 you come up to the exact same 5/2, except both deaths were chosen by mafia instead of town. whereas, lynching town gets to choose one.

I take your point, but how does that result in a difference if the D1 lynch is a townie? Yes, there's the fact that one of the lynches was chosen by everyone, in theory, but the scum are part of that, and it's certain that they'll have voted for that mis-lynch, which simply means they've temporarily recruited the town to help do their job.

Also, D3 only comes up 5:2 if there's no lynch two days in a row. If the D2 lynch is also a mis-lynch, D3 starts 3:2; if the town gets good info, and lynches scum on D2, then D3 starts 4:1.

So a mis-lynch on D1 is very harmful to the town unless the flip and N1 town actions provide good info. Which is entirely dependent upon the mod and the game setup. You simply can't count on the D1 lynch/no-lynch to always benefit one side or the other; it's subjective.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2013, 12:09:34 am »

Elephant: Lazy actually.

And people rereading this can be less lazy and scroll up 2 posts to your post if they want to.

Makeinu: You realize nl d1 and then lynching d2 is about the worst move you could do....

Since if you mislynch d2... we lose? So if we are lynching, it would be 100000x smarter to NL again if you NLed d1 to go to d3, see who dies, cross that person off the could be scum list, and try to figure it out from there.

No point in lynching d2 if NL. If ML, we must lynch d2 to win.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2013, 12:12:50 am »

Superblackcat: Looking over your posts, you have not formed a single proper argument. The only person you've at all attacked is me, which could be considered OMGUS.

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2013, 12:14:25 am »

Depending on the setup (starting player count, info reveals on night kills, et  cetera), yes, you're right. Doesn't really alter my view on whether a D1 no lynch is inherently beneficial to the scum.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2013, 12:16:57 am »

Depending on the setup (starting player count, info reveals on night kills, et  cetera), yes, you're right. Doesn't really alter my view on whether a D1 no lynch is inherently beneficial to the scum.

Use @player or quote when responding. Otherwise, you have to look for the post you're responding to.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19