Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87932 times)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #285 on: December 25, 2013, 07:55:19 am »

Enough with the tombs, Since teledwarf already agrees on moving the time a bit forward, Do the other dwarves agree on moving the time forward?

I suppose. I can think of any issues that need discussion right this minute, so unless the others have anything they wish to discuss, then I'm fine with going forward a few months.

just so you know what is our current burial design, which I called a peasant-grade grave:

Code: [Select]
Surface: HS
-1:      ^n
H - Masterwork hatch cover over a down ramp.
S - Masterwork slab with a name of deceased.
^ - Up ramp.
n - Masterwork casket with the remains.

I like it, though d o we really have access to so many master-work items? How are our masons and carpenters, skill wise? Suppose by th time we need so many graves, we'll have enough. So do we have a graveyard for these people?

Would be fine with burial on spot if it can be contested, would think the tombs would end up underground in case of legacy, say Kerod the Thrid and Fourth would be buried in a tomb near or below Kerod the First and Second, so they have to pass there predecessors on the way to their resting place (possible space for possessions, wife and faithful servants that did not earn their own tomb).

Oh Cain, we really do think along similar wavelengths, want to help plan my manor? You may not be High architect or anything yet, but I feel a tad uninspired today, and if you could take time from your other planning work, It would be most appreciated. I'll PM the plans later.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 25, 2013, 07:58:52 am »

Would be fine with burial on spot if it can be contested, would think the tombs would end up underground in case of legacy, say Kerod the Thrid and Fourth would be buried in a tomb near or below Kerod the First and Second, so they have to pass there predecessors on the way to their resting place (possible space for possessions, wife and faithful servants that did not earn their own tomb).

Oh Cain, we really do think along similar wavelengths, want to help plan my manor? You may not be High architect or anything yet, but I feel a tad uninspired today, and if you could take time from your other planning work, It would be most appreciated. I'll PM the plans later.
Well it is Christmas and that, and I have other stuff to design, so will take a look if I feel like it and have the time.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 25, 2013, 08:00:01 am »

I suggest a mass grave, divided into small rooms as follows, only much bigger:
WWFHC
C HFWW
WWFHC

With W=wall, C=casket/slab, H=hatchcover and F=floor.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 25, 2013, 08:00:38 am »

just so you know what is our current burial design, which I called a peasant-grade grave:

Code: [Select]
Surface: HS
-1:      ^n
H - Masterwork hatch cover over a down ramp.
S - Masterwork slab with a name of deceased.
^ - Up ramp.
n - Masterwork casket with the remains.

The improvement options are limitless: Halls of the dead, underground chambers among the mines and sewers, crypts under the noble palaces and immurement into fortification walls and/or holy temples, catacombs under such temples, small-scale family shrines, graveyards near the temples, etc...
Real estate is less of an issue due to the really large map we have.

Enough with the tombs, Since teledwarf already agrees on moving the time a bit forward, Do the other dwarves agree on moving the time forward?
Those pauses are mainly beneficial for you, dwarves, as whatever is not clearly decided upon - I will decide myself as an overseer. So the more you discuss - the more control you wield over our settlement. Basically I can advance time every day at european evening, but that would leave too little time for you guys to react, act and react to other's acts.

I updated this post a bit, so be sure to read it again. Masterwork wooden items were done by late Urist, so we will have to put up with inferior quality items for some time. Our only mason Cain was training on blocks, up until the mining incident. No masterwork slabs are done yet.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 25, 2013, 08:00:57 am »

Neblime Inkydances (+10) Proposes a law (The dignified Burial act)
Council Votes:
For: 1
Against: 0
I have noticed alot of disagreement and arguing about what to do with the remains or Urist McDwarf, and while discussion is all well and good, it is only to the detriment of urist's remains, and by extension the sanity of his survivors.
I propose we decide and standardize now once and for all how to deal with our dead.  The provisions i propose may seem luxurious, but for those who perish at the cost of our mission, can we really put a price on their sacrifice, or cram them into such small graves?
The Dignified Burial Act:
All citizens, no matter what their social status, upon death which preserves the body in a recoverable state/location, must be buried in at least a 2x2 stone room (rough-hewn stone is acceptable) with a coffin or casket.  (slabs and other additional furniture are not legally required)
Any citizen found guilty of directly obstructing the burial of a deceased citizen shall be sentenced to have the corpse in question placed inside their house or bedroom until it rots into a skeleton.
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 08:04:18 am by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 25, 2013, 08:05:05 am »

So do we have a graveyard for these people?

It is located to the east of the place where road turns from south to east. You can look it up on the map.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 25, 2013, 08:07:40 am »

So do we have a graveyard for these people?

It is located to the east of the place where road turns from south to east. You can look it up on the map.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 25, 2013, 08:10:26 am »

Council Votes:
I have noticed alot of disagreement and arguing about what to do with the remains or Urist McDwarf, and while discussion is all well and good, it is only to the detriment of urist's remains, and by extension the sanity of his survivors.
I propose we decide and standardize now once and for all how to deal with our dead.  The provisions i propose may seem luxurious, but for those who perish at the cost of our mission, can we really put a price on their sacrifice, or cram them into such small graves?
All citizens, no matter what their social status, upon death which preserves the body in a recoverable state/location, must be buried in at least a 2x2 stone room (rough-hewn stone is acceptable) with a coffin or casket.  (slabs and other additional furniture are not legally required)
Any citizen found guilty of directly obstructing the burial of a deceased citizen shall be sentenced to have the corpse in question placed inside their house or bedroom until it rots into a skeleton.
IC
I agree with this decision. A 2x2 room is a perfect room to bury the dead, although i am sad that the more important people must have the same burial rooms as the peasants, I suppose it would do. Also 2x2 wont take a lot of room, So that's another plus.

OOC
EDIT: Just noticed that it's council votes and my vote doesn't count, So since Dwarf4explosives voted, It's only 2 votes for...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 08:14:06 am by Hahayeah »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 25, 2013, 08:12:22 am »

What about citizens whose remains were unrecoverable? In any case, I vote pro Dignified Burial act.

For: 3

Maybe we should make the area a sort of museum for dwarves to learn about their ancestors? This area could have important artifacts and similar stored there...

Hmmm...

Dwarf4explosives (+10) Proposes a law (The Dwarven Culture act)
Council Votes:
Dwarves are noble creatures, and as such, their hard work should be honored. If done properly, this area can also serve as a simple overview of past acts.
The Dwarven Culture Act:
A long hallway shall be dedicated to historical events. (Important/valuable) artifacts shall be put behind glass walls. Sieges shall be marked with two goblin corpses, snatchers with one (again, behind glass). Important dwarven historical figures shall also have a slab here. Large engineering projects shall be marked with either miniaturized versions, or small lava or water circulation systems if these are deemed to unwieldy to miniaturize.This hallway will present these items in chronological order.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 25, 2013, 08:19:02 am »

Maybe we should make the area a sort of museum for dwarves to learn about their ancestors? This area could have important artifacts and similar stored there...

Hmmm...

Dwarf4explosives (+10) Proposes a law (The Dwarven Culture act)
Council Votes:
Dwarves are noble creatures, and as such, their hard work should be honored. If done properly, this area can also serve as a simple overview of past acts.
The Dwarven Culture Act:
A long hallway shall be dedicated to historical events. (Important/valuable) artifacts shall be put behind glass walls. Sieges shall be marked with two goblin corpses, snatchers with one (again, behind glass). Important dwarven historical figures shall also have a slab here. Large engineering projects shall be marked with either miniaturized versions, or small lava or water circulation systems if these are deemed to unwieldy to miniaturize.This hallway will present these items in chronological order.
IC
Hmm, This is a good way to tell the future generations what their descendants have done in the past. The successors to our bloodlines shall follow in our footsteps and continue to peacefully control the fortress. We should give them all the information we can using the slabs. Overall, I agree with the idea although my vote doesn't count

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 25, 2013, 08:21:46 am »

Council Votes:

Current peasant-grade graves are 1x2, dug in soil, but have an advantage of having an easy-accessible slab for mourning relatives to mourn.
requiremetn of a square 2x2 room for every single useless serf sounds a bit far-fetched to me, especially the requirement to do it in stone. It would be tolerable to have such arranements for important members of society (legendary, influential, rich, etc...), but for those piss-poor workers? I have to oppose:
For: 3
Against: 1

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 25, 2013, 08:26:12 am »

For: 2
Against: 1
Zargoth's vote doesn't count, according to himself so, ftfy

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 25, 2013, 08:28:04 am »

Council Votes:

IC: Whilst I agree to the idea of standardised graves, and by extension the act as a whole, It is my belief that our current burial arrangement is suitable for the dead, as proposed by Teledwarf. I note that I intend to make my own funeral arrangements prior to my demise. 1x2 is plenty of room, and could easily hold the dead at ease for their eternal slumber. We are an efficient people, the dead have no need of extra space for the mass grave. If you insist, I suppose I can accept the compromise of maintaining my right to a personal tomb, to preserve my family line. It is one thing to live and work with the commoners, but be buried along side them? I simply must disagree.

OOC: So, in case I was too vague, that's a 'no, unless we add a clause that excepts me' vote. Yes, it is hypocritical, I figure it in-character for kerod to try and do such a thing, supporting equal rights (for the commoners) but using his status to help himself. Besides, we of the noble class must have some way of being above our fellows, yes? 

So the overall number, discounting non-council votes:

For: 2 (D4X, and Niblime)
Against: 2 (Kerod, and Tele)

« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 08:41:11 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 25, 2013, 08:31:55 am »

OOC:
There are 3 other guys who can vote on this but it seems they're inactive as i've yet to see a post of them since i joined this.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 25, 2013, 08:34:21 am »

OOC:
There are 3 other guys who can vote on this but it seems they're inactive as i've yet to see a post of them since i joined this.
Fire is sometimes about, been having some rl stuff IIRC.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 60