Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87885 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #270 on: December 24, 2013, 04:45:42 pm »

I suspect a watchtower would be the best use of a vampire. Do vampires avoid pathing into water as much as normal dwarves? If so, we could set up a system which would cause the vampire to flee into water at the sight of invader, activating a pressure plate and, through it, some of our defenses (the water is to prevent the pressure plate from being activated at other times).
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 24, 2013, 06:17:31 pm »

And I too wonder how our fair settlement bodes. Do make sure to tell us when the next years starts, yes? I have plans (regarding Kerods house) that I would like to propose, and would like a time of relative safety at which to suggest them, after working out a suitable blueprint.
Overseer is just a humble servant of the council, so he prefers not to proceed before he is sure that council discussion is over (unless issue at hand is fast-passing in nature, like combat)
We have three votes so far, if there will be no further discussion we can venture forward and actually advance time a bit.

Or maybe some dwarves are just biding their time to propose some construction project?
Cain, you wanted a list of things we need to build? It is more of a proactive thing that dwarves need to figure themselves and pass through governmental bureaucracy, but here are the few from the top of my head:
Smelters,
Forges,
Lumber mill(where dwarves make wooden blocks en-masse),
Masonry(where dwarves make rock blocks en-masse),
Farm(milk, cheese, plant processings, egg harvesting, crops storage...),
Slaughterhouse(butcher, tanning),
Carving mill (or whatever the place where bone carvers work is called.)
Loom(making of cloth, dying, making clothes)
Kitchens,
Distilleries,
Fletching...

Basically all the facilities we have unsheltered. Perhaps not all of them are needed, or some skill-sensitive or limited throughput industries will be better off in smaller scale personalized crafting houses (like the one Urist enjoyed), it is all up to you to decide. King wants to have his city. Medieval-Human style. He even said something about personally visiting the place. Or was it moving his court here? No... That would be too unheard off.

EDIT: How big are the houses allowed to be? I just realized what I have planned is less a manor and more a medium sized house. I suppose Kerod is the sort that prefers a simplistic little retreat from the bustle of the town hall, but I may try to make it slightly bigger. Maybe build servant quarters in the basement, for a chef to cook the food brought in by the haulers? Or maybe a smaller, separate home for the staff. Ah, back to the drawing board...  :).

No limits really, but we have to be realistic. Unless Kerod wants to live among the vampire outcasts in the sewers - his house will have to be built above ground. And that usually means MASSIVE resources and labor investments. You remember how it took us two years to finish the fairly simple Longhall? The most cost-efficient way to handle this stuff is to start from the bare minimum and then expand as need and resources allow.
Also a good way to cheat yourself into an easy home owning is to design public buildings and then cramp your quarters in as an addon. Sharing a wall here, sharing a corridor there... This can make your house much cheaper to build and thus to pass its construction charter in senate.

Also do not forget about the late Urist's house. I kind of surprised how little attention this choice piece of property attracts. Is it considered cursed or something?

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 24, 2013, 08:38:15 pm »

Will take a look at doing some of those things, will probably start either now or in two days time. Some may take a bit since they need to actually be efficient and look alright.

Edit: Quick query of the two previously mentioned qualities, which should I prioritize?
Edit:Cain would go for the house, but someone described it as lakeside IIRC, so I figure he would pass.

Edit:Smelter/Furnace, thinking Furnace, not really fine tuned yet but I'm planning to get some sleep now so take a look, say what you like or hate or think I missed. If you feel like it.
Spoiler: Rough Design 1 (click to show/hide)
and
Spoiler: Rough Design 2 (click to show/hide)

Not shown are possible considerations like a downstairs somewhere to the side for indoor storage, I personally like Design 1 but 2 is probably the better of the two.
To be honest I haven't really put much designing effort into this.

The idea was to be something like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
or
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:23:34 pm by Cain12 »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 24, 2013, 10:47:03 pm »

I approve of the furnace plan, however, and I definitely think some kind of dedicated industrial infrastructure is what we need next.
Also, about the house of poor deceased urist, it will remain in his family unless a council member (with council approval) deems it necessary for the mission.
Spoiler: OOC. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:53:25 pm by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 25, 2013, 05:32:49 am »

I also approve of the furnace plan, But what good is a furnace when the mines are not usable. I think that teledwarf should first get the mines back before building a furnace. Without the mines we can't get the iron and stone needed for the furnace.  We might have some iron and stone stocks but they will run out eventually when we do build the furnace. I suggest mines first, furnace later.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 25, 2013, 06:29:18 am »

Khanaris Rutodral `Dashedsilver' Etestdodўk has been quite content lately.  He has witnessed death. He has complained about the draft lately.  He slept without a proper room recently.  He dined in a legendary dining room recently.  He had a fine drink lately.  He was caught in a snow storm recently.  He has been annoyed by flies.  He has been satisfied at work lately. 
He is married to Ast Copperwhips and has 4 children:  Ducim Swampbusts, Reg Bucksacks, Zuglar Masteredtome and Dumat Flaxtongs.  He is the son of K–buk Guildfriendly and Logem Gorgepride.  He is a worshipper of GasЌs Cloisterhammers, an ardent worshipper of Kidet Blazedsquash and a faithful worshipper of Das‰l. 
He is a citizen of The Lustrous Trades.  He is a member of The Romantic Corridors.  He is a former member of The Portal of Theaters.  He is a former member of The Denomination of Roars.  He is an enemy of The Torment of Fierceness.  He arrived at Eribneb‚l on the 18th of Hematite in the year 128. 
He is fifty-nine years old, born on the 17th of Obsidian in the year 70. 
He is corpulent.  His sideburns are clean-shaven.  His long moustache is arranged in double braids.  His very long beard is neatly combed.  His very short hair is neatly combed.  His ochre eyes have thin irises.  His ears are somewhat broad.  His skin is sandy taupe. 
He is rarely sick, but he is flimsy and really slow to heal. 
Khanaris Rutodral `Dashedsilver' Etestdodўk likes gypsum, zinc, light yellow diamond and the color chestnut.  When possible, he prefers to consume capuchin, shad, river spirits and dwarven wheat flour.  He absolutely detests moon snails. 
He has great analytical abilities, an iron will, a very good sense of the position of his own body and an ability to read emotions fairly well, but he has a shortage of patience, quite poor focus and very bad intuition. 
He is unassertive.  He is not a risk-taker.  He is open-minded to new ideas.  He is immodest.  He is confident.  He strives for excellence.  He has a very distinct laugh for when he's excited.  He needs alcohol to get through the working day. 

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

His family whereabouts are unknown.(OOC: We ran out of single males. We have one single female though.) His only kin on-site is uncle Cain.
(OOC: Speaking o which, the "Player+Law Summary" is a legal document used for various legal things (determining family influence, making npc actions, etc...), and appearance of mentionables that cannot be used can be a bit messy. not mentioning the hardships of extracting this info(as it is nephew/uncle lists can span through several pages). Also this kind of relationship is no closer then grandparent/grandchild or cousin, so should we also add them into consideration? )

Cain, we all know what is the most efficient design - a group of workshops cramped together in an open field pierced with up/down stairs with raw materials right on top of the workshops. I think we should strive for beauty and authentic design here, to make it as immersive as possible.
So you basically propose smithy to be of the very same design as smelter? I like the smelter design a lot. It looks really nice with grated chimney, but I am not sure if it will be prudent to use same design for smithy. won't it look rather bland?

Zargoth, building plan and building permit are two different documents. Normally Architects, lead by High Architect, create the library of building plans. They do so long before actual construction and with variants for every situation imaginable (OOC: and hopefully thus enrich DF community as a whole).
Then Urban/Rural Commissioners prepare the district plans and area plans and such: metal works will probably need a couple of smelters, some smithies and housing for workers; Access alleys, storage warehouse and stuff like that; And probably it will have to be placed conveniently among other industries and fortifications and same-such.
Then council(or other ruling body, as I can quite imagine Zargoth couping the government and installing a dictatorship) decides upon current priorities and gives orders about what exactly to build.

Neblime, your OOC post looks truncated.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 25, 2013, 06:37:04 am »

I think we should move time just a bit cause i really want to know what's going to happen now at 129. We only have pictures of 128, I want to find out what 129 has in store for us. Goblins? Death? Fun? Teledwarf, Would you mind?

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 25, 2013, 06:45:10 am »

I think we should move time just a bit cause i really want to know what's going to happen now at 129. We only have pictures of 128, I want to find out what 129 has in store for us. Goblins? Death? Fun? Teledwarf, Would you mind?

I have no problems with that, if other dwarves agree.

Also, do we need some kind of special tomb of Urist? or a peasant-grade grave is good enough? What do you guys think about starting the practice of burial on the spot of death?

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 25, 2013, 06:56:53 am »

Council members and soldiers should get rooms for their tombs, Not graves. They are very important people and thus should have tombs of the highest quality. Council members get tombs because of them keeping order and helping the fortress develop over time. Soldiers because of their devotion to protecting the fortress,people and council members,Risking their own lives for others. So yeah, A tomb not grave for urist.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 25, 2013, 07:08:27 am »

I have no problems with that, if other dwarves agree.

Also, do we need some kind of special tomb of Urist? or a peasant-grade grave is good enough? What do you guys think about starting the practice of burial on the spot of death?

If we go this way, then how about we bury warriors and those slain by the enemy at the spot (but maybe allow people to contest the decision if the spot is inappropriate), while putting those who die indoors or of thirst/hunger/old-age in a mass grave room.

Alternatively, we could make a tomb for the dead underground, and have split chambers depending on circumstances of death (i.e, In glorious battle, serving the settlement, unfortunate struck down in his prime, old age, poverty, dishonoured dead, etc). Though that may not work regarding spouses, and I'm sure that nobles would wish to arrange their own resting place.

Council members and soldiers should get rooms for their tombs, Not graves. They are very important people and thus should have tombs of the highest quality. Council members get tombs because of them keeping order and helping the fortress develop over time. Soldiers because of their devotion to protecting the fortress,people and council members,Risking their own lives for others. So yeah, A tomb not grave for urist.

Imagine how much underground space would be wasted on so many people over the years. Perhaps a 'Hall of the Honoured Dead' where the warriors are kept together (in a mass tomb slightly fancier than that of the workers) , but only the bravest of champions should be retire to personal tombs there. Think about how awe inspiring the row upon rows of our brave soldiers bodies in high quality coffins, their spirits guarding over the fort for the rest of time (metaphorically of course).

EDIT: I suppose tombs are the one of only thing besides basements that should be underground. Dwarfs are mountainous creatures, they should be buried among stone and dirt. (smoothed or constructed stone/minerals, but stone nonetheless.)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 07:14:33 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 25, 2013, 07:09:14 am »

Well it was more I didn't remember which one it was meant to be, a metal smith would probably feature a proper building, entrance, side are with forge, resources and finshed products kept in a different room like storage, may need to look at some images, Merry Christmas btw, so I guess that means you prefer the small one for the smelter design.

Only exceptional soldiers, heroes of high caliber or earned the nobles favor, deserve tombs, would be fine with a solider's graveyard for the rest but a tomb per solider is spoiling them a tad.

Hahayeah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 25, 2013, 07:18:31 am »

Enough with the tombs, Since teledwarf already agrees on moving the time a bit forward, Do the other dwarves agree on moving the time forward?

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 25, 2013, 07:45:31 am »

just so you know what is our current burial design, which I called a peasant-grade grave:

Code: [Select]
Surface: HS
-1:      ^n
H - Masterwork hatch cover over a down ramp.
S - Masterwork slab with a name of deceased.
^ - Up ramp.
n - Masterwork casket with the remains.

The improvement options are limitless: Halls of the dead, underground chambers among the mines and sewers, crypts under the noble palaces and immurement into fortification walls and/or holy temples, catacombs under such temples, small-scale family shrines, graveyards near the temples, etc...
Real estate is less of an issue due to the really large map we have.

Enough with the tombs, Since teledwarf already agrees on moving the time a bit forward, Do the other dwarves agree on moving the time forward?
Those pauses are mainly beneficial for you, dwarves, as whatever is not clearly decided upon - I will decide myself as an overseer. So the more you discuss - the more control you wield over our settlement. Basically I can advance time every day at european evening, but that would leave too little time for you guys to react, act and react to other's acts.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 07:57:33 am by TeleDwarf »

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 25, 2013, 07:46:27 am »

Don't start a discussion if you won't go through with it. Besides we haven't came to a final conclusion as to what to do with Urist, a tomb could take time to make and her body isn't likely to last long before rot and has she really earned one? Other than that artifact and doing nothing in the council, Urist did next to nothing of note. Could argue it is a matter of principle that nobles get tombs but it is debatable considering how little she did.

Would be fine with an update, just think we should actually finish discussion first.
Kero, I like the idea of a hall of honored dead, for warriors.

Would be fine with burial on spot if it can be contested, would think the tombs would end up underground in case of legacy, say Kerod the Thrid and Fourth would be buried in a tomb near or below Kerod the First and Second, so they have to pass there predecessors on the way to their resting place (possible space for possessions, wife and faithful servants that did not earn their own tomb). But would otherwise be above ground unless specified otherwise by the builder.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 25, 2013, 07:48:51 am »

We could at least afford urist a dry, dark chamber in the mines in which to put a coffin?  I have an idea...
Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 60