Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we work on next?

A tower to the sky!
A ridiculously complex trapped entrance!
A ginormous constructed somethingorother!
A monstrous terraforming project!
An ostentatious display of golden wealth!
A giant building in the shape of a Toad, in honour of ToadyOne!
Candy everything!
Exclamation point! (My idea will be posted below)

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40

Author Topic: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]  (Read 49729 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CharmCrafted, Citadel of Mechanisms[Game Open, still recruiting]
« Reply #360 on: February 24, 2014, 10:59:57 am »

I'm not blaming you. I'd mostly "blame" your predecessor; taking over a fort in a time of crisis is tricky at best, and there were a slew of problematic/endangering/pointless jobs lined up and active that eventually compounded the problems in my test-plays of the fort.

But even there, i'm hesitant to attach blame, the fort was facing problems that non-military forts are poor at dealing with, and fixing old oversights like insufficient troll-in-your-base protection is difficult if there's, you know, a troll in your base disturbing your dwarfs.

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 24, 2014, 12:07:06 pm »

I'm not blaming you. I'd mostly "blame" your predecessor; taking over a fort in a time of crisis is tricky at best, and there were a slew of problematic/endangering/pointless jobs lined up and active that eventually compounded the problems in my test-plays of the fort.

But even there, i'm hesitant to attach blame, the fort was facing problems that non-military forts are poor at dealing with, and fixing old oversights like insufficient troll-in-your-base protection is difficult if there's, you know, a troll in your base disturbing your dwarfs.

So you are blaming me for not calling Boromir over? Just kidding, just kidding....

Anyway, non-military forts ALWAYS will crumble much quicker than normal ones, unless we dig in and stay in the space between caves nr1 and surface.... but where is the !!FUN!! in that?
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 24, 2014, 01:45:25 pm »

Just for note-taking purposes: the crisis sparked from a couple of friendly-fire incidents in the defence system and spiralled to full tantrumation after a forgotten beast snuck inside?
Friendly fire and a few goblin archers that stuck next to their captured leader. Then tantrum, and then the beast joined the Fun, but to be honest it didn't do too much damage. A few burned dwarves, a half-destroyed hall... usual stuff, you know.

Not troll-in-your-base, but berserkers-in-your-bedroom that's who caused most of disaster.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 24, 2014, 07:47:01 pm »

Just for note-taking purposes: the crisis sparked from a couple of friendly-fire incidents in the defence system and spiralled to full tantrumation after a forgotten beast snuck inside?
Friendly fire and a few goblin archers that stuck next to their captured leader. Then tantrum, and then the beast joined the Fun, but to be honest it didn't do too much damage. A few burned dwarves, a half-destroyed hall... usual stuff, you know.

Not troll-in-your-base, but berserkers-in-your-bedroom that's who caused most of disaster.
Also i kinda used suicide teas to try to remove trolls. :P :P :P

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 24, 2014, 07:56:13 pm »

I for one, enjoy cleaning up the corpses restoring the fort  :D
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 25, 2014, 11:12:08 pm »

It's winter here.
We stuff any sutable corner with coffins, because cemetery is full. 41 dwarves left alive.
There are some ghosts everywhere. Shadowhammer's ghost carries a piece of crundle meat, don't know why. A ghost of Dishmab the Smelter tore the leg of our mason, but luckily was quickly put to rest.
4maskwolf found a hole to the hall occupied by fiery worm and giand cave spider and was killed by the latter. I have no idea why he went there, but al least we found that hole!

Human merchants left, dwarven ones came. And they brought goblin siege with them! Luckily, most of them were crushed by repeating bridge and traps.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 26, 2014, 06:59:53 am »

Hmm crundle meat welding ghost, now thats a strange sight.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 26, 2014, 04:41:06 pm »

Winter comes ot its end. Siege is lifted off, all bodies have been put into coffins. Population is 36 dwarves. The fiery worm beast was barricaded at the bedrooms, while cave spider got away.
Everything seems fime.

Except for one thing. There's a hostile war-trained Giant Olm sitting on the tree above our entrance. Looks like it was thrown there by our smasher, but I don't know how ot get rid of it. Everyone who gets out becomes so scared that he can't get back in the fortress.

I give up. Let anyone who's dumb enough rule this place.

save is here http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8447
nothing really changed in this place, my project of Magmatic Protection from Misbehavior is barely started and I think it will never be finished.
Enjoy

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 26, 2014, 06:29:54 pm »

A quick scan of the fort leaves me...
impressed?
depressed?

It's certainly a sight. 36 dwarfs, 16 of them children, six ghosts and well, that stupid Olm that only remembered it can't climb trees after ending up in one. Next overseer on the list is uber pye, who claimed to like cleaning up residues of fortress fun, so this could be just the right kind of save. Many projects were begun but not much seemed to get finished, i guess dwarfs were too busy getting eaten by forgotten beasts to put proper work in. Slackers. At least my dwarf is still alive and has no notable health problems. Other living named dwarfs are Exodius1 and Peregar, everyone else is dead, dead, dead.

On the upside, there's no shortage of bedrooms and x(cave spider silk sock)x now! Yay!

Thanks for the turn!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 26, 2014, 07:01:59 pm »

The fort is still alive. Hopefully we'll get back to !!!SCIENCE!!! once we get over the mild worker shortage we're currently experiencing. Maybe dig a pit underneath the olm tree and drop it down 12-20 z-levels with a cave-in?

EDIT: ^You'd have to dig out a large chunk of ground around the olm tree for that to be effective. Might not be practical.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:06:25 am by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 26, 2014, 09:57:35 pm »

got the save, I'll start posting this weekend, for today I'm just going to look around the fort to get my barrings.

My poor dwarf wasn't even named for one turn :'( If anyone else wants to be re-dwarfed just say the word!

X-MAS TIME!!!!!

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 27, 2014, 12:53:24 am »

The fort is still alive. Hopefully we'll get back to !!!SCIENCE!!! once we get over the mild worker shortage we're currently experiencing. Maybe dig a pit underneath the olm tree and drop it down 12-20 z-levels with a cave-in?

EDIT: ^You'd have to dig out a large chunk of ground around the olm tree for that to be effective. Might not be practical.

Not so hard.

Code: [Select]
WXW X marks a spot one z-level under the tree.

WOW Dig that spot and build a support there.

WRW
ROR Ramp every square marked R. Hook a lever to the support.
WRW

Pull the lever to drop the tree and the toad!
Hard to say what would happen, because I don't have any experience with cave-ins involving trees, but if that doesn't fix your problem, you've got some kind of levitating supertoad. Given the rate of abnormal experiences in this fort, I wouldn't be half surprised.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 27, 2014, 02:23:13 am »

The great problem with that giant olm is that the tree where it sits is right above the entrance! So, before we start caving in, we neew a new entrance. Or a new fort on the outer side of the river, maybe.

Or just wait for traders, who hopefully will be guarded with archers.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 27, 2014, 02:43:59 am »

Not so hard.

Code: [Select]
WXW X marks a spot one z-level under the tree.

WOW Dig that spot and build a support there.

WRW
ROR Ramp every square marked R. Hook a lever to the support.
WRW

Pull the lever to drop the tree and the toad!
Hard to say what would happen, because I don't have any experience with cave-ins involving trees, but if that doesn't fix your problem, you've got some kind of levitating supertoad. Given the rate of abnormal experiences in this fort, I wouldn't be half surprised.
But its sort of difficult to destroy the floor tile directly to the sides of the tree when the workers get panicked by the terrifiying olm on the tree every time they get too near to it.

Or just wait for traders, who hopefully will be guarded with archers.
That works too.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 01, 2014, 10:07:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

this is the journal of uber_pye_2.0. It is made of cat leather. It is written in crayon.

read? Y/N?

y

24th of obsidian

the grown-ups say that they must pick a new fort overseer soon, and they saying that the yuoth should rule the fort. I dont know what ruleing is but why does this seem like a bad idea?

1st of granite

Mommy said that im the fort overseer today and i must guide the fort back to glory.

the grownups are now looking to me for guidence.

3rd of  granite

The goast of 4maskwolf is breaking things, hes being mean and should take a nap.

i need to find a way to get all the people outside inside and away from the scary olm too.

9th of granite

i ordered them to close the front so that the panicking dwarfs outside can try to sneak inside through side entrances

other than that i dont know how to deal with the scary olm

14th of granite

Zefon is looking fay and is running pasted the scary olm!

but also this came

I'm glad we locked off the caves

18th of granite

i think more than half of the fort is stuck outside now so no one is inside to pull lever to save the people outside.

22nd of granite

she finished it!

7th of slate

we finaly made a way to get the outside dwarves in without facing the scary olm! YAY!

9th of slate

the first dwarf found her way in today! its my sister yay!

12th of slate

the dwarfs out there are still stuck, and today someone died of thirst, and they are getting angry out there...

but then a tantuming dwarf got though using the power of angryness! yay!

15th of slate

2 more dwarfs are in! and a bunny!

Its WORKING!!! yay!

OOC: ill end on a happy note, more tomorrow!

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 40