Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online: Removing Subscription Requirements  (Read 60152 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: A Thing That's Happening
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2014, 03:04:08 pm »

Dammit, Kazerad, I want to play that game. So much.

The sad thing is that a lot of its ideas would be relatively easy to implement as a MMO. Admittedly the stuff about leveling, progression and quest rewards wouldn't be used in a MMO, but the stuff with the main towns being different daedric planes? Or the quests/dungeons being small instances/levels in the real world? That is frankly a rather brilliant idea for a MMO.
Chiming in as someone who would love to see that game made, and agreeing that every thing in that fake review is totally plausible for an MMO. As for everything being tradeoffs and mitigations of hindrances instead of outright improvements, that's how FPS games have done it for two decades.

Why do we see games with such poor game design, when all we hear is that everyone wants to do game design and that skill is worthless because everyone doing real work on the project also has game design ideas? That's like saying the programmers can just do the art and sound also because who cares if the sword looks lame or makes a derpy noise when it hits.

I guess what I'm saying is, someone like Kaz should have been hired to do game design for TESO, because even if his personal idea wasn't what the suits wanted and didn't focus-group well, someone like him would have almost certainly done a better job.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2014, 03:24:20 pm »

Adding to Greiger's previous wall of text:

There are lots of little, unmarked secrets scattered around (i.e. lorebooks), so exploring isn't completely unrewarded.

The RvR area is reasonably big and castles reasonably spaced out. The landscape is mostly hilly, so there are plenty of potential routes between locations, and sneaking deep into enemy territory is very possible. Respawn points are placeable and destroyable like any siege structure, and castles have more than one entrance, so defenders should be sneaking out and ambushing the siege group rather than staying holed up in the castle waiting for the gates to fall. Some players in chat were comparing the RvR to Dark Age of Camelot's, though not having played that game myself I can't say how reasonable that comparison is.

The combat is fairly active. You can block any attack, and interrupt any special attack if your timing is good. There's no auto attack, and constantly running through your abilities will quickly drain your magicka and stamina. You can only slot five skills and one ultimate, so selecting skills that synergize well while distributing the load between your magicka and stamina pools is important. (You get a second skill bar at level 15, but I never made it that far so I can't say if swapping mid-combat works.)

You can buy multiple horses, and level them by spending gold at the stables. Horses have three stats: speed, stamina, and carrying capacity (which is applied directly to your character), so you can do a little practical customization there, with different horses for different purposes.

Crafting is ridiculously straight-forward. There's technically nothing preventing one character from mastering all crafts, though spending skill points on crafting skills means you have fewer skill points for combat skills. You'd also have trouble with inventory space if you try to do most of the six trades on a single character and aren't willing to put up with mules. (Mules are easy to use as the bank is account wide.)

Armor styles look decently reasonable, and there are a wide variety of them at all levels. There are two styles that can be skimpy (bosmer and argonian), but they are equally so for males and females.

There will be discounts for bulk subscriptions so you don't have to pay $15/month if you think you'll be playing for a while.

There's no way to graphically indicate targets, and players in a large group can look same-ish. There's also no way to target healing spells. This makes group PvP different, and communication more important. Small, organized groups may be more viable here than in Guild Wars 2, but I've only clocked about ten hours in TESO's RvR, and the zergs during beta were probably larger than what would be normal post-release.

There is the matter of the cash shop. So far, the only thing they've indicated they'll be selling there is the Imperial Edition upgrade, but that's arguably a reversal from their original position of only selling account services. They have said they'll be providing additional content to subscribers on a regular basis, but they haven't gone into any detail on what that content will be like.

Ignoring the TES lore, it's a fairly standard fantasy MMORPG. It tries to do some things differently, mostly in order to be more immersive, and some of it is problematic (the phasing), while some of it is stuff players will have to get used to (the lack of nameplates). The RvR is better than most recent games, but it's not for everyone. The main uncertainty here is Zenimax; this is their first MMO so there's no telling how they'll manage the game in the long run, and their business model and approach to beta has been somewhat strange.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2014, 01:43:51 pm »

So here's some gameplay footage from Angry Joe: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/aj/parprev/42345-elder-scrolls-online-impressions

It really looks promising at the beginning, once he actually gets into the game. A "low budget Elder Scrolls game." But as he goes on it gets more MMO-ey.

The PvP war stuff actually looks pretty cool, but IDK if it's worth $15 a month.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 02:12:14 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2014, 03:11:30 pm »

But as he goes on it gets more MMO-ey.
It is an MMORPG after all, so this shouldn't be surprising.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2014, 03:50:50 pm »

The PvP was actually a big draw to me and that's what ultimately convinced me.  It's kinda like how GW2 did it's WvW except without overdoing the siege engine range, and without enemy players taking so long to load that they are on top of you before you even see them.   

I love the random scouting missions you can do while solo too, though I wish that actually did something to help the cause instead of just getting you loot.  Maybe if completing a scouting mission spawned a small group of Raider NPCs that try to take the camp, putting up a conflict marker to draw enemy attention, or maybe even take it with a couple players.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2014, 04:16:37 pm »

The PvP was actually a big draw to me and that's what ultimately convinced me.  It's kinda like how GW2 did it's WvW except without overdoing the siege engine range, and without enemy players taking so long to load that they are on top of you before you even see them.

Same here. The influences from DAoC were apparent and that was a game that I consider one of the classics in MMOs. Though it does tend to wear on one eventually. I can't really see the point of guild ownership of keeps when they can change hands at the drop of a hat.

I'd advocate ESO to anybody who's interested in organized alliance objective-based PvP, but otherwise it is kinda lacking once you get over the initial "whee Elderscrolls" factor.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2014, 06:26:27 pm »

Has anyone besides Kazerad had the chance to play as a daedra?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2014, 06:28:15 pm »

Considering the stuff you're told about in the tutorial quest, I'd guess that the player character is a Daedroth of sorts...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2014, 06:36:15 pm »

Well you are kinda a souless creature held prisoner in a plane of oblivion.  So...maybe?  That's probably a question for the philosopers, like the people who figure out the LoZ timelines or figured out that humans are probably pokemon.

...Of course we all know Kazerad was being completely facetious through the whole review right?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2014, 06:49:39 pm »

Yes.

Anyway, I'm a philosopher of that sort! :I

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2014, 06:54:07 pm »

I wouldn't say you're exactly a Daedra. More like some kind of weird lich thing.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2014, 03:52:26 am »

You do realize that Kazerad's entire review was a lie, right? All of it except for one sentence at the end. I wouldn't normally say this, but other people have made that mistake as well.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2014, 04:40:17 pm »

You do realize that Kazerad's entire review was a lie, right? All of it except for one sentence at the end. I wouldn't normally say this, but other people have made that mistake as well.
But it was such a delicious lie. Even I would have seriously thoughtof playing it, lore rape or not.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2014, 06:17:36 am »

So here's some gameplay footage from Angry Joe: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/aj/parprev/42345-elder-scrolls-online-impressions

It really looks promising at the beginning, once he actually gets into the game. A "low budget Elder Scrolls game." But as he goes on it gets more MMO-ey.

The PvP war stuff actually looks pretty cool, but IDK if it's worth $15 a month.
I'm not sure what he means in the first video with "tons of content". Just few minutes before he says there's not much to do between quests? Or does by content mean actual quests?

I'll confess I'd play just for the PvP though. Lore butchery, race-locking-stupidities and price aside, it looks like fun.

But 60$ starting price AND 15$ a month? Thanks but no thanks. I'll rather look/wait for some other MMO with a PvP like that.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2014, 11:02:21 am »

Lore butchery

:I

It's far better than Oblivion in terms of lore, a bit better than Skyrim I'd say. Almost Battlespire levels. It's really, really good.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31