Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online: Removing Subscription Requirements  (Read 60134 times)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: A Thing That's Happening
« Reply #165 on: March 22, 2014, 03:30:33 pm »

Well, reading the linked rant posted a few pages ago, it DOES seem like some pretty stupid mistakes were made lore-wise and this is what I based my impressions on.

That being said, I am no expert in TES lore nor have I played TESO.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2014, 04:18:08 pm »

The stupid mistakes are skin-deep and add to the experience as a whole.

Let's just say that the mistakes are made mostly by characters, not writers. The writers pretty clearly know their shit.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2014, 08:14:38 pm »

I have decided not to buy this game.
Already got enough MMORPGs for this decade.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2014, 10:12:20 pm »

Unless a miracle happens and some of my friends decide to play this, I won't.

First there is the thing with the collector edition giving you exclusive stuff in game (like the imperial race and the possibility to play any race in any alliance, not like those peasants who only payed $59).

The preorder thing to get early access.

The $15 sub.

AND on top of that the cash shop, with lots of useful stuff like inventory expands.

The one thing that would make me favor a $15 sub, is that typically, it means that everyone is equal in game, and you can't pay with real money to get more stuff. Adding a cash shop to a sub is just greedy. And the game is not THAT good anyway. The storyline gets in the way, the enemies are bland, the combat system is nothing to write home about... maybe the crafting system is slightly less lazy than usual, and the character progression has a few good ideas, but it's not enough to make me want to play.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2014, 10:58:19 pm »

Digital edition can be upgraded to Imperial edition after launch. It's the pre-order bonuses that won't be made available again (play any race in any alliance, mud crab pet, bonus treasure maps). The 'play any race in any alliance' isn't an issue except for PvP, and the racial passives may be irrelevant at higher levels due to soft caps.

'Pre-ordering for early access' (the phrase) is mostly a gimmick; since it's impossible to order a non-pre-order edition before launch, you may as well think of launch as being three or five days early.

$15/month was normal a decade ago. If it's too expensive for someone, that's one thing, but it's not like this is some unprecedented extortionary price.

Cash shop does NOT have inventory expands. The only things confirmed for the cash shop so far: Imperial edition upgrade, character name change, possibly some pets. They have clarified that gameplay content will not be cash shop purchases / will be free for subscribers.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2014, 01:17:40 am »

All pre orders get play as any race in any alliance, even regular ol digital.  Pre orders get the explorer's pack free which is probably going to be cash shop.  From what I saw bag and bank expansions are all bought with coins.

Imperial edition playing as imperials and starting with a horse are exclusive, but the horse will be rendered moot once people have more than 3 days to get coins, (and I saw quite a few people by the end of the last beta with non imperial horses) and the imperial racial skills are very specialized. 

Shield Affinity - 15% increase in experience gain with the One-Handed and Shield Skill Line.
    Tough - Increases Max Health by 4%. 3 ranks. 4/8/12%
    Conditioning - Increases Max Stamina by 4%. 3 ranks. 4/8/12%
    Red Diamond - Melee attacks have a 10% chance to restore 3 Health. 3 ranks.

They make good tanks but don't have any racial skills helping any other aspect.  They MIGHT be the best tanks available, but I don't see those skills making that much of a difference compared to the other racials. While they might last a little longer in a stand up fight being able to tank is not a high demand PvP skill traditionally.  They can take one or two more hits but that's all they can do.  And they do it with the loss of some of the arguably more useful racials.

I honestly think this whole cash shop worry is a big bunch of nothing.  They certainly aren't pushing it ingame as much as you'd expect if they were going to make it more than just the odd utility purchase, unless they were just completely hiding it during the betas.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:21:31 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2014, 01:55:41 am »

My biggest gripe is the $15 monthly fee. I believe if they adopted Guild Wars 2 model (pay once), they'd have more traction.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2014, 01:58:35 am »

$15/month was normal a decade ago. If it's too expensive for someone, that's one thing, but it's not like this is some unprecedented extortionary price.

Eh, a decade ago there was no where near as much competition for MMO's. So while it may have been justifiable 10 years ago, it's somewhat harder to justify now.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 23, 2014, 04:59:59 am »

So because there are a ton of f2p MMOs these days, all future MMOs must be f2p just to get anyone's attention. Meanwhile, everyone complains about how the f2p trend is killing gaming as we know it, and how publishers are monetizing everything to the point that they only see customers as money pots. I find this amusing in a farcical kind of way; it's like we don't even know what we want as gamers anymore, so we sheepishly allow ourselves to be herded along to the trends concocted by various marketeers, all while complaining about how horrible it is.

/soapbox

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 23, 2014, 05:17:33 am »

Or they could drop the price to 10$ a month.
Or they could drop the initial purchase and just charge some-ammount a month (which would work for me as I probably wouldnt play this for longer than a month)
Or they could charge an initial purchase and not charge anything a month.

Its not just F2P or TESO.

Also, personally I havent seen anything in this to elevate this above f2p MMO (except for the novelty of it being TES themed) so in that context 15$ is a real turn off.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 23, 2014, 06:05:13 am »

Or they could charge an initial purchase and not charge anything a month.
And thank you for proving my point. MMOs can't survive on the pay-once revenue stream alone, hence why games like Guild Wars 2 have massive cash shops filled with all sorts of crap that they're constantly pushing on their players instead of developing decent amounts of content. Yet here we are considering it as the preferred alternative to p2p while simultaneously denouncing cash shops. Brilliant way to go with the flow without thinking about it.

If you want the game to be cheaper, fine; its certainly your right to voice your opinion. But there would be consequences if they were to reduce the price enough to significantly impact their revenue, and it's a safe bet that one of those would be an expanded cash shop. People in this thread are already in a tantrum spiral over the current version of the cash shop, as tiny and purely-out-of-game as it is. Simultaneously tantruming about the game being too expensive is simply just cognitive dissonance, and distracts from the very real issues that TESO does have.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 23, 2014, 01:10:24 pm »

Eh, a decade ago there was no where near as much competition for MMO's. So while it may have been justifiable 10 years ago, it's somewhat harder to justify now.

To be fair, 15/month now is equivalent to 12/month 10 years ago.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 23, 2014, 04:07:06 pm »

To be fair, 15/month now is equivalent to 12/month 10 years ago.
To be fair, real wages were higher ten years ago.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 23, 2014, 05:00:30 pm »

Has anyone besides Kazerad had the chance to play as a daedra?
You do realize that Kazerad's entire review was a lie, right? All of it except for one sentence at the end. I wouldn't normally say this, but other people have made that mistake as well.

I assumed it was, actually, I was just hoping to be proven wrong ;-;
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 23, 2014, 05:01:12 pm »

To be fair, any currency not made of indentured souls is worthless in the long run.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31