Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Duel at dawn (Illustrated bloodbath)  (Read 7069 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Duel at dawn (Illustrated bloodbath)
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2013, 11:48:46 pm »

Ok, so what exactly is it that everyone wants this game to be, then?
Roll to Die, only better, ostensibly.
Well, I don't want to do that.
That's why I made rules for this.
I know. I didn't say it was desirable. Still, the format is kind of overly rigid.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2013, 11:52:40 pm »

I know. I didn't say it was desirable. Still, the format is kind of overly rigid.
How do I make it less rigid, then?

It seems to me that either I let you guys have machine guns in a medieval setting, and ignore all the rules I've spent an entire week working on, or it's too rigid.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2013, 11:55:48 pm »

Well, lets remove the binary movement system, or at least make the squares bigger, only a suggestion.

Hogg, maybe a illustrated tactical shooter, with one team being the swat and another being the terrorists.

Sorry, anyway, that's all I really want, anything to speed up the gameplay would be nice, but once again, up to you.
Still, it is masthas game, it isn't overly ridged, it's like a turn based game, a slow one nonetheless but that's what comes with over forum games anyway, and nobody wants this to go to waste, I guess it's the fact that without dice, the rules have to be ridged to make up for the lack of dice based gameplay.

For example, a RTD game like this could have many different and unpredictable factors, with many new weapons and stuff because they modify the rolls, the lifeblood of the game, but with this, it has to be like this, as there aren't many things apart form how you attacks and how far away and as such you only get to work with a small base of weapons and stuff.

I like it, that's for sure, but anything to do that could help pick up the pace would help it, as it doesn't have the intristic randomness, nor the massive armoury or dynamic gameplay, and as such, we would need something that could make up for that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:00:54 am by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2013, 11:59:51 pm »

How do I make it less rigid, then?

It seems to me that either I let you guys have machine guns in a medieval setting, and ignore all the rules I've spent an entire week working on, or it's too rigid.
Nah, you just need to create a more fluid, yet realistic system. That tends to be really hard, though, unless you just make it hyperrealistic, which is kind of tedious. It's sort of one of those things you have to learn how to do to make better games. I typically help address the situation by writing some of the mechanics on the spot, but that doesn't really apply here, and that can occasionally end up messing up your systems because you didn't properly set something up within the fabric of the game. Still, it's something to consider, and I'll try and think over ways to help make the system more flexible. Again, you could hypothetically just get your players to act responsibly with their freedom, and not go crazy, but that again seems a bit inappropriate for the setting, and would work better in a new game.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2013, 12:03:50 am »

Well, lets remove the binary movement system, or at least make the squares bigger, only a suggestion.
Hogg, maybe a illustrated tactical shooter, with one team being the swat and another being the terrorists.
Sorry, anyway, that's all I really want, anything to speed up the gameplay would be nice, but once again, up to you.
Ok, these are suggestions I was hoping for.

The movement issue I can fix, while I'd rather not redraw all the hexes, I could make movement be your agility times 2 or 3, or something else similar to that.
The "illustrated tactical shooter" idea was actually one of those 3-4 games that would come after this to further test the system.
I was planning on making that one be more item oriented, and ranged focused, while this was to test close combat.
The Derail Thread

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2013, 12:11:26 am »

Ok, these are suggestions I was hoping for.

The movement issue I can fix, while I'd rather not redraw all the hexes, I could make movement be your agility times 2 or 3, or something else similar to that.
The "illustrated tactical shooter" idea was actually one of those 3-4 games that would come after this to further test the system.
I was planning on making that one be more item oriented, and ranged focused, while this was to test close combat.
Yhea, the agility part was a touch annoying, making it slow, well even more so than a normal forum game is but in any case:

Also, scince this game seems to be oddly absent of your normal to many names RTD fams so maybe you could add in a few enmities controlled by you? Just enough so it can get a bit more hectic, as this seems to be how it was designed, once again just a thought.
Alan help.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2013, 12:17:55 am »

Yhea, the agility part was a touch annoying, making it slow, well even more so than a normal forum game is but in any case:

Also, scince this game seems to be oddly absent of your normal to many names RTD fams so maybe you could add in a few enmities controlled by you? Just enough so it can get a bit more hectic, as this seems to be how it was designed, once again just a thought.
Yeah, the speed issue I can fix. I made it the way I did because I wanted a slower paced game in general, but I should have known better.

Honestly, I'm thinking about scraping this and going straight to the tactical shooter game that you mentioned, because I think that would work better at the moment.
The Derail Thread

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2013, 12:22:27 am »

Yeah, the speed issue I can fix. I made it the way I did because I wanted a slower paced game in general, but I should have known better.

Honestly, I'm thinking about scraping this and going straight to the tactical shooter game that you mentioned, because I think that would work better at the moment.
Well, it isn't the fact that it shouldn't be slow, it's just that even a fast game on these forums, is basically glacial to any D and D one, so making it slow is like chaining the glaciers to the seafloor, look, I'm sorry the game isn't working like you intended it to but I guess with the map being so large and there being quite few people, it's a bit tough to actually get to anybody, but your choice in the matter
Alan help.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2013, 12:35:00 am »

Well, it isn't the fact that it shouldn't be slow, it's just that even a fast game on these forums, is basically glacial to any D and D one, so making it slow is like chaining the glaciers to the seafloor, look, I'm sorry the game isn't working like you intended it to but I guess with the map being so large and there being quite few people, it's a bit tough to actually get to anybody, but your choice in the matter
Yeah, I agree with that.
That why a range-attack heavy set-up with faster movement would be better for testing than this.
And yeah, I expected more people to sign up, but I'm writing up a new map for a shooter game that I'll post once I'm done.

ALSO, to keep the game from being rigid, I won't set up that an attack needs one strength token, or a block needs one logic token.
I'll let people say what they want to do, and then decide if it would be more of a physical action or a mental action, and then if it needs 1 token or more.
So I'll just add moves into the game as they come up.

SO. Continuing in that vein, what kind of weapons would people have? And what would they do?

Assuming a modern setting.
Actually, sci-fi would give me more to work with.
The Derail Thread

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2013, 12:45:33 am »

edit: i have this saved, if you want it back, just ask.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:14:48 am by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
Alan help.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2013, 12:56:38 am »

While those all sound good, keep in mind that this isn't going to be super realistic, and I'm still trying to avoid dice.
Also, warm-up times aren't very good in games like this, I tried it in my Battle Arena game, and people had very little patience for them. Cooldowns work so much better.
Knock back probably can't be handled well, neither can accuracy, it's assumed you're a good shot.
The Derail Thread

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2013, 12:58:21 am »

no but that kind of stuff will just judge how many points you will use in the act of firing them, you dont need to roll, also, by warm ups, i meant cooldowns pretty much, also, im not trying to be super realistic, just making up stuff that would be cool.
Alan help.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2013, 01:07:04 am »

By points do you mean the strength/logic tokens? Because part of the idea I had was that items don't use those, they have their own, so that when you run out of tokens, you can fall back on items.
Or fall back to your normal powers when you run out of ammo, in this setting.
The Derail Thread

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2013, 01:12:19 am »

By points do you mean the strength/logic tokens? Because part of the idea I had was that items don't use those, they have their own, so that when you run out of tokens, you can fall back on items.
Or fall back to your normal powers when you run out of ammo, in this setting.
oh, really? hm, so each weapon has individual tokens? damn, well, thats annoying, thats a lot of work rendered null and void.
oh well, ill just keep it for when i want to run a game like this.
Alan help.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2013, 01:14:10 am »

oh, really? hm, so each weapon has individual tokens? damn, well, thats annoying, thats a lot of work rendered null and void.
oh well, ill just keep it for when i want to run a game like this.
Well, it was with the way you can use an axe 3 times, or a pistol once.
It's either durability or ammo, whatever you want to call it.
You can't magically create ammo from logic.
Even if you're Remuthra.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5