Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Duel at dawn (Illustrated bloodbath)  (Read 7077 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Duel at dawn (Illustrated bloodbath)
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 04:22:53 pm »

Logic is a dump stat because we'd rather attack than block, I guess.

Dumbo's action is rather vague.
Go east far enough that I can hit Dumbo with the pistol. Shoot him.
You can't shoot this turn, attacks are aimed before movement, so even if he were in range after you move, you can't shoot him because he's not in range right now.
If he were is range now, and moved out of range as you shot, though, you'd still hit.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 04:40:07 pm »

I mean, just take the fastest route to the one guy that doesn't have a gun! If I can't reach you and attack, I can be plonked away to your hearts content.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 04:45:20 pm »

I mean, just take the fastest route to the one guy that doesn't have a gun! If I can't reach you and attack, I can be plonked away to your hearts content.
He has one bullet, and can't reload.
The Derail Thread

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 05:07:41 pm »

He has one bullet, and can't reload.
So that's what the item tokens are for, they are pretty much the durability, sorry about that, I'm going very rough in this game for some reason.
Alan help.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 05:35:52 pm »

GWG chases after E/D!
E/D chases after scap!
scap goes up! (I'm just having you do this since you're nowhere near them, and I want to get an update in. If you wanted to do something different, I'll retcom it.)

The Derail Thread

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 05:37:33 pm »

Stats: Joe Bridger
- Strength: 1
- Agility: 1
- Vigor: 1
- Logic: 4
- Focus: 4
- Willpower: 1
Weapon: Psychoanalysis!- Like a pistol, but it uses mind bullets which consume a logic token instead of an item token.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:46:11 pm by Remuthra »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 05:39:31 pm »

keep running and slicing at scap!
Alan help.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 05:42:05 pm »

You can't attack him, you're not in range.

Stats: Joe Bridger
- Strength: 1
- Agility: 1
- Vigor: 1
- Logic: 1
- Focus: 4
- Willpower: 4
Weapon: Psychoanalysis!
Having a focus that's higher than your strength and logic combined is useless, as the excess tokens will get wasted.
Also, read the rule on choosing a weapon that doesn't exist.
The Derail Thread

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 05:44:21 pm »

You can't attack him, you're not in range.
I'm just guessing as I can't see the pic, so that action means just run to him constantly and attack him as much as possible if he comes in range.
Alan help.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 05:46:25 pm »

Bah, rules!

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 05:52:23 pm »

Bah, rules!
Make it so when you use physcoanalysis, you roll and the opponent rolls, and the... Mean, I think? I don't think so, anyway, I'll give you a example to make it easier:
Physcoanalysis guy uses his weapon and rolls a 6, right? He aims for agility of opponent, which is 4
Opponent rolls a 3, take 3 from six and you decrease the agility by 3 for 3 turns, backlash can happen, in which if the opponent rolls a higher number, then you lose the amount dependent on the difference between the numbers!
Alan help.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 05:54:49 pm »

Bah, rules!
Make it so when you use physcoanalysis, you roll and the opponent rolls, and the... Mean, I think? I don't think so, anyway, I'll give you a example to make it easier:
Physcoanalysis guy uses his weapon and rolls a 6, right? He aims for agility of opponent, which is 4
Opponent rolls a 3, take 3 from six and you decrease the agility by 3 for 3 turns, backlash can happen, in which if the opponent rolls a higher number, then you lose the amount dependent on the difference between the numbers!
That's horrendously overpowered.
And Remuthra, your rule is also overpowered, as it ignores the ways items and the token system work.
The Derail Thread

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 06:05:27 pm »

Bah, rules!
And Remuthra, your rule is also overpowered, as it ignores the ways items and the token system work.
Well, I'm not the GM, and therefore don't have an understanding of how the token system works. For instance, how are item tokens gotten and refilled? Why would you block if you can deal more damage than you would take? What do these systems have to do with rolls?
Or, in fact, just tell me specifically why it's overpowered, so I know how to fix it.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 06:06:48 pm »

Bah, rules!
I'm sorry for giving no cents, it was just my thought in the matter.

Honestly, the idea of this game is suited for a minimalist type but you are squeezing it into the rigid uniform of a complex one, let us play like that roll to all those words, but keep It in a degree of realism, take the grid away but keep the other skills, maybe add phycic defensive for in game physics, let us do some stuff, like throw blades like a badass, find a ak and do a 360 clip empty, let us go insane for the game such as this should be should not be rigidly conformed, because you know what we used to be in the other game? Badasses.

For that is what it has been nay, should have been! A minimalist swordfighter with awsome skills and things you gain from being a badass and not from following the rules! IT NEED NOT BE INSANITY INCARNATE, BUT WHAT IS IT SO THAT IT MAY NOT BE RELEASED TO SHOW ITS FULL POTENTIAL AS SUCH ONCE WAS, FOR WE MOVE TO SLOWLY AND THE TRUTH BE THAT WHAT WE WANT AND COULD HAVE FROM THIS WAS THAT MINI GAME THAT HAD TO MANY NAMES, BUT MORE REFINED! YES! THE TRUTH BE THAT WE SHALL NOT BE HINDERED BY RULES, AS IF ONE WANTED TO DODGE A HAIL OF BULLETS, ONE COULD DO SO! IF ONE WANTED TO RELEASE A RAIN OF FIRE, ONE COULD DO SO! AND MOST OF ALL, SO THAT ONE COULD BE E ONE. TRUE. BADASS.

(That went somewhere, I have no idea why I wrote that anyway,I sometimes go drunk like that anyway, still, just a suggestion.)
Alan help.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 06:23:06 pm »

Bah, rules!
-snip-
(That went somewhere, I have no idea why I wrote that anyway,I sometimes go drunk like that anyway, still, just a suggestion.)
But I made this system with the intention of trying to get away from that insanity.
Yeah, insanity is fun, but not all the time, not for me. I like rules.
I think what you all are failing to realize is that there are no dice used in this game.
It was made for me to be able to run with minimal amounts of headache and calculations and stat logging, which is why it uses a graphical interface instead of a huge info dump spoiler at the end that always ticks me off having to cross-check and update, when just being able to see the stupid thing makes so much more sense, particularly when it's easier for me to work with.
I made this game to do two things.
One: run a game that won't give me a headache with a dozen stats per player, while still having plenty of stats per player to work with.
Two: test a new game idea that doesn't use dice, and uses tactics and forethought instead.

I realize that most roll to dodges are designed so that you never think ahead more than just the current turn, and heck, I even designed the targeting system with that in mind! But I don't have fun with constant mindlessness.
At least not when I'm the one running it.

This was actually supposed to be the first of 3-4 games that use this new rule system, so I could fine-tune it for a larger project I've been planning for weeks.

I realize that it may not appeal to some people, but it's fun for me, and it's how I wrote it.
I didn't spend a week trying to figure out a proper way to run everything just to throw it away because nobody died in the first three turns.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5