Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Duel at dawn (Illustrated bloodbath)  (Read 7066 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Duel at dawn (Illustrated bloodbath)
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 06:27:34 pm »

Bah, rules!
Make it so when you use physcoanalysis, you roll and the opponent rolls, and the... Mean, I think? I don't think so, anyway, I'll give you a example to make it easier:
Physcoanalysis guy uses his weapon and rolls a 6, right? He aims for agility of opponent, which is 4
Opponent rolls a 3, take 3 from six and you decrease the agility by 3 for 3 turns, backlash can happen, in which if the opponent rolls a higher number, then you lose the amount dependent on the difference between the numbers!
That's horrendously overpowered.
And Remuthra, your rule is also overpowered, as it ignores the ways items and the token system work.
-snip-
(That went somewhere, I have no idea why I wrote that anyway,I sometimes go drunk like that anyway, still, just a suggestion.)
But I made this system with the intention of trying to get away from that insanity.
Yeah, insanity is fun, but not all the time, not for me. I like rules.
I think what you all are failing to realize is that there are no dice used in this game.
It was made for me to be able to run with minimal amounts of headache and calculations and stat logging, which is why it uses a graphical interface instead of a huge info dump spoiler at the end that always ticks me off having to cross-check and update, when just being able to see the stupid thing makes so much more sense, particularly when it's easier for me to work with.
I made this game to do two things.
One: run a game that won't give me a headache with a dozen stats per player, while still having plenty of stats per player to work with.
Two: test a new game idea that doesn't use dice, and uses tactics and forethought instead.

I realize that most roll to dodges are designed so that you never think ahead more than just the current turn, and heck, I even designed the targeting system with that in mind! But I don't have fun with constant mindlessness.
At least not when I'm the one running it.

This was actually supposed to be the first of 3-4 games that use this new rule system, so I could fine-tune it for a larger project I've been planning for weeks.

I realize that it may not appeal to some people, but it's fun for me, and it's how I wrote it.
I didn't spend a week trying to figure out a proper way to run everything just to throw it away because nobody died in the first three turns.
Look, at no point am I saying I dislike it, I enjoy this kind of game, it's nice, but at least could you expand the spaces so there isn't so much space between people? Once again, I can't tell if what I'm saying sounds offensive because I'm not trying to be, at all.

i am sorry about that big speech, it came out more drunken and ramble than I intended, looking back at it, I really am sorry about that.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 06:32:07 pm »

Look, at no point am I saying I dislike it, I enjoy this kind of game, it's nice, but at least could you expand the spaces so there isn't so much space between people? Once again, I can't tell if what I'm saying sounds offensive because I'm not trying to be, at all.

i am sorry about that big speech, it came out more drunken and ramble than I intended, looking back at it, I really am sorry about that.
Well, the reason the spaces are so small is because I expected more people to be on the map.
I can change that one.

And I'm sorry, I'm just on edge because I haven't felt like updating my other games, and it gets too me a lot, and someone told me that I should be doing these games for my fun, not for others, and so it bothered me being told that and then having people say that they want me to change the rules in my game.

It's not your fault, you had a genuine opinion, and I respect that, I'm just on edge, and this game was made for me to have something to get me back in the spirit of running games again.

I'm sorry.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 06:34:50 pm »

If there are no dice, shouldn't this be in the forum games section?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 06:36:40 pm »

Well, I find that most of the things in the forum games section aren't multiplayer style games, moreso suggestion games.

I take "Roll to Dodge" as a style of game, not just because it uses dice.
The Derail Thread

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 06:42:46 pm »

Well, the reason the spaces are so small is because I expected more people to be on the map.
I can change that one.

And I'm sorry, I'm just on edge because I haven't felt like updating my other games, and it gets too me a lot, and someone told me that I should be doing these games for my fun, not for others, and so it bothered me being told that and then having people say that they want me to change the rules in my game.

It's not your fault, you had a genuine opinion, and I respect that, I'm just on edge, and this game was made for me to have something to get me back in the spirit of running games again.

I'm sorry.
(Trust me on this one, it likely my fault, I'm not really what you might say, the most capable of figuring out intentions and emotions, and in a forum, it gets even worse, but, I understand now, and I will happily stand back and watch as you construct your own game, you can always feel very stressed when you are doing something for someone else as you could feel that you might not be doing it right, or that you aren't doing it fast enough.

At least I hope so, so I'm sorry too.)
Alan help.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 08:12:57 pm »

(Trust me on this one, it likely my fault, I'm not really what you might say, the most capable of figuring out intentions and emotions, and in a forum, it gets even worse, but, I understand now, and I will happily stand back and watch as you construct your own game, you can always feel very stressed when you are doing something for someone else as you could feel that you might not be doing it right, or that you aren't doing it fast enough.
At least I hope so, so I'm sorry too.)
Yeah, that's pretty much what it is. You don't have to be sorry, I just take things too personally.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2013, 08:53:10 pm »

Dumbo's action is rather vague.
I mean, just take the fastest route to the one guy that doesn't have a gun! If I can't reach you and attack, I can be plonked away to your hearts content.
He has one bullet, and can't reload.
That is incredibly underpowered. And kinda absurd; what non-flintlock pistol can only fire one shot? And why can't I ever reload? And don't get me started on the range...
Of course, it looks like melee weapons are made of glass, so it's silly all around.

I think what you all are failing to realize is that there are no dice used in this game.
...In the Roll to Dodge subforum?

Well, I find that most of the things in the forum games section aren't multiplayer style games, moreso suggestion games.

There are suggestion games using the Roll to Dodge system in this subforum, and a good number of multiplayer games in the main FGaR subforum.
Roll to Dodge is a (flexible) game system, not a game style.

This game isn't bad, it's just...well, a first draft.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 09:02:43 pm »

Dumbo's action is rather vague.
I mean, just take the fastest route to the one guy that doesn't have a gun! If I can't reach you and attack, I can be plonked away to your hearts content.
He has one bullet, and can't reload.
That is incredibly underpowered. And kinda absurd; what non-flintlock pistol can only fire one shot? And why can't I ever reload? And don't get me started on the range...
Of course, it looks like melee weapons are made of glass, so it's silly all around.

...In the Roll to Dodge subforum?

There are suggestion games using the Roll to Dodge system in this subforum, and a good number of multiplayer games in the main FGaR subforum.
Roll to Dodge is a (flexible) game system, not a game style.

This game isn't bad, it's just...well, a first draft.
Well, this is a game he wants to do, because the others were going too insane, and it must be a headache trying to roll every time for every turn, like in wizards and whiskey, yheesh, still, it is his game and there are plenty others around anyway, and it just needs to get running anyway for this to get going. Sorry if I took what you said wrong.
Alan help.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2013, 09:10:57 pm »

Hmmm...

Perhaps we could create a freeform Roll to Dodge where we all behave in a rational manner?

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2013, 09:15:56 pm »

Hmmm...

Perhaps we could create a freeform Roll to Dodge where we all behave in a rational manner?
i dont see how that could possibly work, what kind of rational would you suggest?

i think a RTD in which a realistic (fake) town would be where you spawn in, and this adhears to the rules of the rolls, you can do whatever you want, make your own mafia or make a castle out of glass, you just have to get the right items first off.
Alan help.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2013, 09:17:47 pm »

Hmmm...

i dont see how that could possibly work, what kind of rational would you suggest?

i think a RTD in which a realistic (fake) town would be where you spawn in, and this adhears to the rules of the rolls, you can do whatever you want, make your own mafia or make a castle out of glass, you just have to get the right items first off.
Emulate GreatWyrmGold and agree to act calmly and orderly for the sake of the GM?

That sounds pretty good for a premise. I wouldn't even have to get rid of Joe.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 09:21:04 pm »

Hmmm...

Emulate GreatWyrmGold and agree to act calmly and orderly for the sake of the GM?

That sounds pretty good for a premise. I wouldn't even have to get rid of Joe.
Now that I think about it, my premise would basically the sims, if it was text based and you are drunk, so you could get a scuentest job and create a zerg like race obedient to you, or you could be a chef and piss in people's sandwhiches.

Or create a castle made entirely out of sponge.
Alan help.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2013, 11:44:27 pm »

Ok, so what exactly is it that everyone wants this game to be, then?
The Derail Thread

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2013, 11:45:17 pm »

Roll to Die, only better, ostensibly.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2013, 11:47:05 pm »

Roll to Die, only better, ostensibly.
Well, I don't want to do that.
That's why I made rules for this.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5