Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Author Topic: A Storm's Coming Turn 28) Um, what are we doing again?  (Read 58237 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: A Storm's Coming.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 07:53:42 pm »

You can't go below zero on a stat gwg, and i really, really suggest you have at least a 1 in everything. remember at 0 you're taking a -5 penalty on all rolls. you can't even stand up under your own weight at zero.
In that case I have a fundamental misunderstanding of how stats work.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 07:54:55 pm »

Attributes:each point in an attribute gives +1 to that type of die roll, starting from a -5 for having 0 points in a stat. average humans have a 4 in all stats.
It's right on the character sheet itself...
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 08:03:03 pm »

Attributes:each point in an attribute gives +1 to that type of die roll, starting from a -5 for having 0 points in a stat. average humans have a 4 in all stats.
It's right on the character sheet itself...
I never said the misunderstanding was your fault.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 09:13:04 pm »

...I'm pretty unsure about the stat allocation-is there a predefined amount to which we should distribute (I see the general beginning have 30 points allocated, but the rest are..different) or are we free to balance according to our personal lore and how we see our character?

Also I'm pretty much against BFEL's character :S Throwing 'radiation' is too general, and very very prone to abuse and... "'hilarity'".

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 09:20:29 pm »

...I'm pretty unsure about the stat allocation-is there a predefined amount to which we should distribute (I see the general beginning have 30 points allocated, but the rest are..different) or are we free to balance according to our personal lore and how we see our character?
Yup. Then Lenglon gives us +Luck or -Luck to try and balance the gods with the small children.

Also I'm pretty much against BFEL's character :S Throwing 'radiation' is too general, and very very prone to abuse and... "'hilarity'".
*checks*
+1, reminds me to finish my sheet.
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 02:11:31 am »

He doesn't "THROW" radiation he KICKS it. Into people. With his foot. And "radiation" is just the radiation from his gun. So its not THAT crazy.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 02:54:15 am »

You're free to use as many points as you want. Just remember that especially powerful characters will have bad luck.
Trust me. BFEL isn't overpowered. Honestly, I'm probably going to end up giving him better than average luck to give him at least a chance at not killing himself.

Here's the major issues:
first, radiation is a piss-poor weapon of choice. the problem is stopping power. it doesn't have it. at all. radiation takes several minutes even in the best of conditions to take an opponent down. combat is measured in seconds.
second, how do you think undead will be affected by radiation? Joe's luck is going to matter a lot here.
third, miniguns. are. HEAVY.
fourth, miniguns take a couple moments to spin up before they can be fired.
fifth, miniguns are very loud and flashy.
sixth, his minigun is going to pump radiation into himself too.
seventh, radiation damage lasts even after the radiation has been removed from the body. all that kicking the radiation out of himself is going to do for Joe is keep himself from getting worse. of course, with the delay between taking the damage and symptoms showing, he's probably going to kill himself all the same.
eighth, radiation damage is cumulative. pouring more radiation into himself is going to make him worse, faster, each time he does it.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 05:05:49 am »

Ah. Thank you Lenglon!

You're free to use as many points as you want. Just remember that especially powerful characters will have bad luck.
Trust me. BFEL isn't overpowered. Honestly, I'm probably going to end up giving him better than average luck to give him at least a chance at not killing himself.
...What I don't like is that he kicks gamma particles at anyone he wishes to >_> The concept screws my knowledge so hard it hurts. From a gun and..yeah. Ok.

Just hope you know what you're dealing with and what radiation exactly is and how it functions :v.

second, how do you think undead will be affected by radiation? Joe's luck is going to matter a lot here.
> Define undead.
> Define radiation.
:P

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 05:15:05 am »

Just hope you know what you're dealing with and what radiation exactly is and how it functions :v.
I'm no expert, but I have a chart to work with.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 06:21:22 am »

Well crap. I had kinda intended/imagined that the radiation DAMAGE was what was transferred. I.E. that he kicked things and he immediately stopped puking up his spleen. I'm fully ok if the damage isn't immediately transferred to the enemy, but I certainly don't want him to get progressively more dead every time combat starts (well, at least not without actually getting hurt normally :P)

Ah. Thank you Lenglon!

...What I don't like is that he kicks gamma particles at anyone he wishes to >_> The concept screws my knowledge so hard it hurts. From a gun and..yeah. Ok.
But the reality screwing is what makes it so AWESOME!

EDITFOREXTRACLARITY: Ok so this is turning out HILARIOUSLY hard to actually convey, but basically I see the "pumps rads into the user" as a sort of "clip" in this case. Basically the gun has infinite ammo, but if Joe fires it too long then instead of the gun just not shooting any longer, Joe doubles over and develops cancer :P
His "kicking" ability exists so that he can use the gun without progressively dying as the game goes on. It still has the limiter that its very much a melee attack and I'm perfectly amenable to the idea that a miss with it doesn't transfer the rad damage.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:29:55 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 06:34:20 am »

well, the problem is radiation damage is comparable to a nanoparticle shotgun. even after you've got the radiation out of your body, you've still got millions of tiny holes left in your cells and your DNA that compound upon each other as millions of tiny bits and pieces of your vital organs fail at roughly the same time.

radiation is some nasty stuff.

actually he'd vomit all over the gun, have violent diarrhea, get a severe headache, suffer seizures, grow lethargic, develop tremors, have trouble with even the most basic of thoughts, and keel over and die, all well before developing cancer.

and I can work with your character working like that, but I hope you find live targets to transfer the radiation damage too before using the thing. and you need to keep in mind the delay before symptoms begin to show.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:39:50 am by Lenglon »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 06:46:22 am »

well, the problem is radiation damage is comparable to a nanoparticle shotgun. even after you've got the radiation out of your body, you've still got millions of tiny holes left in your cells and your DNA that compound upon each other as millions of tiny bits and pieces of your vital organs fail at roughly the same time.

actually he'd vomit all over the gun, have violent diarrhea, get a severe headache, suffer seizures, grow lethargic, develop tremors, have trouble with even the most basic of thoughts, and keel over and die, all well before developing cancer.

and I can work with your character working like that, but I hope you find live targets to transfer the radiation damage too before using the thing. and you need to keep in mind the delay before symptoms begin to show.
Well if I understand correctly, then I win. YAY.
If anyone's head is still hurting from how he can have the rad damage healed by kicking then basically: MAGIC.
Both Joe and the gun are MAGIC. From MAGIC Incorporated. The inventors of Pizza-Flavored Bullets and Bulletproof Guns.
(Said guns are so bulletproof they can't load bullets to fire :P note: Joes minigun is NOT bulletproof)

Indeed, I do this.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 06:48:47 am »

um, Magic and tech(space magic) do not mix in this setting. attempts to force the issue often have... impressive... results.

Minigun is tech

kick is magic

I suggest not kicking your minigun.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 07:05:49 am »

um, Magic and tech(space magic) do not mix in this setting. attempts to force the issue often have... impressive... results.

Minigun is tech

kick is magic

I suggest not kicking your minigun.
Works for me.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 08:45:57 am »

Well-said.

Out of curiosity, how does that work? If you had, say, a self-heating cauldron and installed it instead of a coal-powered boiler in some steampunk machine, what would happen? What about if you had the cauldron a hundred feet away, and transferred the heat via water-filled pipes or something? What, exactly, causes this malignant interaction?
Sig
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33