Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35

Author Topic: The Bay12 Pokemon League: Journey of the Rivals [accepting players!]  (Read 39079 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Pokemon League: Journey of the Rivals [accepting players!]
« Reply #420 on: December 20, 2013, 02:59:11 pm »

didn't occur to him to ask though, very convenient.

he did not post fastest after his pick, he simply did it all at once. This defeats the purpose of picking fast altogether, he has had all the time in the world to make his choice, and nobody to rival his choice. It's like winning a circular race by taking first a step forward, then turning around and simply walking through the finnishing line from the wrong direction.

if he genuinely misunderstood, well, too bad for him.

edit: random number generator? so I just *roll* some numbers and thats the order it is chosen then?

fine, the order for choices is Bluerobin, Akroma, Kansa, GWG
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:00:55 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 20, 2013, 03:00:12 pm »

You never established a 1 Pokemon per post rule and didn't clarify beforehand either (people have been drafting 2 Pokemon at once all throughout). The burden of rule clarification lies with the person who starts the tourney. Just redo the round with a new mechanic for choosing who gets to choose when.

Edit: Preferably just using a random number generator for maximum randomizing.
Plus, in my opinion, it was rather open to abuse in either case.  My first thought was that you could just open two windows, make your picks in each, then submit both posts one after the other, in which case the delay is precisely as long as it takes to click through the "one new post" warning. 

EDIT: And since arguing incessantly over this is just going to lead to another acrimonious breakdown and possible thread closure, which we have already dealt with before, I strongly suggest that it be allowed to rest in peace.  A random roll set, if you all want it:

4 - Kansa
1 - Akroma
3 - GWG
2 - Bluerobin
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:03:44 pm by Culise »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 20, 2013, 03:00:35 pm »

Redo the round or I withdraw from the minibattle.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 20, 2013, 03:04:44 pm »

You never established a 1 Pokemon per post rule and didn't clarify beforehand either (people have been drafting 2 Pokemon at once all throughout). The burden of rule clarification lies with the person who starts the tourney. Just redo the round with a new mechanic for choosing who gets to choose when.

Edit: Preferably just using a random number generator for maximum randomizing.
Plus, in my opinion, it was rather open to abuse in either case.  My first thought was that you could just open two windows, make your picks in each, then submit both posts one after the other, in which case the delay is precisely as long as it takes to click through the "one new post" warning.

not the word "abuse". I was slapping out a 2-minute idea for a small battle and tada, people immediatly pick out loopholes to abuse the rules that were written in less than 2 minutes, and then I get blamed for not making them an airtight legal document? For daring to try and defend the rules from being abused? That's my job.

Fine then

Culise, you pick an order in which the redone round picks pokemon. but seriously, you guys should not let this become a habbit. GWG was abusing the rule loopholes, and even if it was not on purpose, he clearly refused to show any will to reconsider correcting his mistake.

edit: oh hey, he already did. Kansa, you are up
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:11:28 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 20, 2013, 03:10:58 pm »

Butterfree
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 20, 2013, 03:11:51 pm »

munchlax

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 20, 2013, 03:28:25 pm »

No, you will not get to autoclaim two picks in a row when you had all the time in the world to make your choices, while everybody else was slapping F5 legitimately, it entirely undermines the point of posting fastest. You are subject to the same rules and circumstances as everybody else, and tried to circumvent the rules via a loophole, and are now even asking the GM of the tournament to logicaly rebuke your reasoning as to why you deserve special treatment?

No.

Make a different pick, or this becomes a 3 vs 3
It's not that I'm ignoring the rules, it's that those rules were poorly-explained.
And what makes you think that anyone was refreshing the page constantly? That's an awfully high opinion you have of your little game.

Frankly, that whole idea of "First to post their pick gets it!" was a bit...jarring. Everything else, we knew who was picking ahead of time. But this one...free-for-all!

We're going to have to redo the round now that the rule's established.
Ideally with a different rule.

didn't occur to him to ask though, very convenient.
Hey, Akroma, do I get to pick my Pokemon?
Hey, Akroma, can I pick a Pokemon twice?
Hey, Akroma, are we counting by time online or time since joining?
Hey, Akroma, can I pick a Pokemon someone else picked?
Hey, Akroma, am I allowed to give my Pokemon items?
Hey, Akroma, do I get to choose my Pokemons' gender?
Hey, Akroma, do I get to pick their moves?
Hey, Akroma, are TMs allowed?
(Imagine I typed a bunch more because I'm getting sick of this and I think I made my point.)

Hey, Akroma, why the heck would I waste time asking a question about how the TIMED PICKING ROUND works?

not the word "abuse". I was slapping out a 2-minute idea for a small battle and tada, people immediatly pick out loopholes to abuse the rules that were written in less than 2 minutes, and then I get blamed for not making them an airtight legal document? For daring to try and defend the rules from being abused? That's my job.
Oh, sorry, you're right, it's unreasonable to expect you to think things through. And even more so that we asked you to think through the unlikely scenario of someone posting in the round before

You can hardly blame me for your lack of forethought.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 20, 2013, 03:36:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GWG, please, leave it be.  We're here to have fun, not bicker and argue about who killed who.  The use of a random list as per Bluerobin's suggestion has already been adopted.  Akroma's picked, so it's your choice, then Bluerobin. 

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 20, 2013, 03:42:40 pm »

So what, Akroma gets to call me a filthy cheater and/or an idiot and I just have to sit here and take it?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 20, 2013, 03:48:14 pm »

For the sake of the thread, yes.

I apologize if my reasoning was insulting. To avoid further fueling the flames, I shall refuse from saying any more words on the matter.
As the OP of the thread, I ask you to please do the same.

Take Munchlax, I will not participate in this battle.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:51:04 pm by Akroma »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 20, 2013, 03:54:53 pm »

As the OP of the thread, I ask you to please do the same.
I feel a bit insulted that you felt the need to edit that in...
Sig

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 20, 2013, 03:56:41 pm »

Don't

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 20, 2013, 05:30:21 pm »

Now I can say I saw everything. Yesterday a magikarp, and today a shedinja.

Aaaand swiftcheroo with choice scarf is annoying.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 05:50:45 pm by Praefectus Screptum »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 26, 2013, 12:54:04 pm »

Akroma tests a monormal team.

AkromaBay12: yeah, for a team that has all it's main statmoves resisted, vs a mega and an ex-uber, the result was fine
Sig

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 27, 2013, 12:23:05 pm »

Akroma tests a monormal team.

AkromaBay12: yeah, for a team that has all it's main statmoves resisted, vs a mega and an ex-uber, the result was fine
AkromaBay12: wat
AkromaBay12: how is it faster?
Mega Evolution occurs after move order is calculated, so the Mega Evolution's speed and ability do not get taken into account.  This benefits M.Garchomp, which ignores its speed drop, and completely knocks over M.Banette, which loses Prankster. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 12:24:39 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35