New materials.
- 9 (15.8%)
The language file.
- 9 (15.8%)
New creatures.
- 21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Norse Fortress Mod  (Read 42119 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Norse Fortress Mod
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2013, 05:29:26 pm »

I thought it was bathing in dragon blood, not drinking it?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2013, 05:49:15 pm »

I decided to make both work. Standing in the arterial spray as you cut into the beasts flesh, drinking deeply of it's sundered veins and paddling through its blood with no shoes all work just as well.

EDIT: Fire giants pretty much done. Different skin/eye/hair colours from normal jotunn. Bigger, can breath fire over short range and have more armour. Come a lot later than normal giants.

Have thrown together boars made of bronze that roam the cavern layer 1-2. Intended to be brought by dwarven caravans. War trainable, based on Gullinbursti.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:03:19 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2013, 07:09:38 pm »

I decided to make both work. Standing in the arterial spray as you cut into the beasts flesh, drinking deeply of it's sundered veins and paddling through its blood with no shoes all work just as well.

EDIT: Fire giants pretty much done. Different skin/eye/hair colours from normal jotunn. Bigger, can breath fire over short range and have more armour. Come a lot later than normal giants.

Have thrown together boars made of bronze that roam the cavern layer 1-2. Intended to be brought by dwarven caravans. War trainable, based on Gullinbursti.
Sweet... And at least they're not like fortress defence eldjotun that THROW fireballs

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2013, 07:10:40 pm »

I figured that since fire was meant to follow in their wake fireballs wouldn't be sensible. I don't know if Immolate automatically sets fire to grass though.

EDIT: Have updated the copy of the mod that was on DFFD, put a link to it in the OP.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:40:37 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2013, 08:55:41 pm »

Got this mod this morning, and I just finished my second year. I like it a lot, but I did notice a few problems. The only one that's really damaging though is that I don't seem to be able to make shields. Other than that, the only issue was that almost half of my norsemen are called Fingr, and the other half called Horn. There were a few others in there, but only a few. Blank spaces also abound, I even had a fish cleaner show up with no name at all. It's a minor quibble, but it did make it difficult to find the vampire that showed up, even though I got the "Fingr has drained Horn of blood," that didn't narrow it down much. I haven't been sieged yet and no megabeasts have shown up, so no word on those yet. I did get an elven caravan though, is that supposed to happen?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2013, 09:14:39 pm »

I noticed the shields thing while doing a bit of playtesting myself earlier today. I think I forgot to put them in as permitted items in the entity file, so I need to fix that. I'm tempted to just take out the language until I get it finished to stop the blank names problem.

As for the elven caravan, if you left the standard entity file in your raw/objects folder then the vanilla stuff will still be around, so normal elves and dwarves (not that there's many differences between the dwarves yet) would still be able to be found. Unless it was a Ljosarlfr caravan that showed up, in which case no that's not meant to happen.

EDIT: Have gone through the RAWs and done a bit of quick bugfixing. Some of the plants weren't spawning because I had done the biome tags wrong, which was also causing problems for some of the civs. Also fixed the shield problem the norse were having. Made the Norse use the normal human language for now to stop the blank names problem until I can get the language finished and work out a way to fill out the words they don't have that the game needs. Maybe use Norwegian or Swedish when there's a gap.

Will have the updated version on DFFD soon.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:40:50 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2013, 12:53:08 am »

Use Faroese, it's the closest thing you can use to the actual Nordic language since both cma have a conversation in the same language and they understand each other

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2013, 03:50:09 pm »

I just had a good idea for cave and normal dragons.

Have the land dragons appear like Fafnir and the cave dragons like Nhiddog. Though he may not gnaw on the roots of the world tree, but it'd be a cool flavour for them

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2013, 06:18:10 pm »

I read something about potatoes, those don't fit at all. We're talking 16-17th century, meaning some 500-600 years after the Viking age ended. Also, I was looking for info on peat usage during the Viking age, and came across this site: http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/bog_iron.htm
Using bog iron collection as a possible/regional alternative to iron ore could be interesting, say if it's small enough to fit into a bag, and once you've got some five to ten units you can process it into iron bars and then whatever you want. Peat in itself could be used to build houses and to provide top notch fertilizer (not sure if the fertilizer bug can be fixed through modding or not, but maybe it could be built somehow as a floor-like construction which you could then farm quicker over somehow, if that's doable, or maybe it could be built over stone and rock for emergency farms). Its primary use has always been heating, but that's not really happening, I guess.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2013, 06:18:31 pm »

Note to self: Don't try to modify posts when tired, because I will press the wrong button. Well, may as well make use of it anyway... How about making some kind of item-bound reaction to create Berserkers who gain some measure of supernatural power from enhanced wolf and bear pelts? No idea if this is true or anything, but I've read that werewolf myths may have their root in berserk warriors wearing animal pelts when going crazy, so perhaps that could make an interesting kind of situation where you need to kill certain dire animals (and maybe collect other reagents) to take to a ritual workshop that creates these equippable pelts, and you need one pelt for each Berserker. That way you have to risk your regular warriors to gain stronger ones, meaning you can't just wall yourself off since you might need them later to fight Fire Jotuns and the like. And if one dies, you'll still have the pelt, which could create a fun situation. Maybe even make them artifacts so they can't be destroyed, and they all get unique names and a history.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:28:09 pm by coldmonkey »
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2013, 05:36:09 pm »

Peat is something I plan to do. Just not certain how to make it be useful but not wind up as a clone of stuff like coal.

Potatoes would make less sense if the native biomes that it comes from (tropical mountainous regions) weren't in the game anyway. I just need to spend a bit of time making the plants have more in depth biome tags. I intend to add rice and a few other things to some biomes, this way we can get crops based on the real world equivalents to biomes and I can try to restrict medieval european crops to the biomes the vikings will live in normally.

Bog iron might be doable, but I don't know how to make it more common than normal iron is. Or make it spawn in specific places since stones don't have biome tags.

The wolf/bear pelt thing was an actual thing. Ulfsarks is the name I've seen associated with it. There isn't a way to make an item have a specific effect without using dfhack functions (autosyndrome I think) but I don't know much about those. Artifacts are more or less beyond standard modding as far as I know.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2013, 06:50:20 pm »

Bog iron might be doable, but I don't know how to make it more common than normal iron is. Or make it spawn in specific places since stones don't have biome tags.
I was thinking of some kind of invisible immobile vermin-like thing to be gathered from bodies of still water, then a reaction to allow a certain number to become iron bars. The method of gathering bog iron is mostly the same as fishing as it works in DF, and it would allow biome tags that way.
The wolf/bear pelt thing was an actual thing. Ulfsarks is the name I've seen associated with it. There isn't a way to make an item have a specific effect without using dfhack functions (autosyndrome I think) but I don't know much about those. Artifacts are more or less beyond standard modding as far as I know.
Putnam has a guide here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123817.0, but then again you already have a functioning thematic method with the dragon blood. But the gist of Putnam's explanation seems to be that you need to attach the DFHack item syndrome to materials, but I know nothing about DFHack so I'll keep my mouth shut regarding the difficulty of this whole procedure. But the main reason I thought of it is because it fits the setting and is less easy to exploit than the dragon blood method, since you get an item that can only be used by one creature at a time.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2013, 07:24:59 pm »

A pretty easy way to make bog iron is how I did it in Genesis. Make "peat" which is [SOIL] and [AQUIFIER], and add "goethite" which spawns in it, and make it to be a low ore of iron.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2013, 10:07:31 am »

I like your idea for the bog iron Deon. Think I'll make peat clay as well though and put in a reaction to make it into fuel since that was a major use for it, granted it wasn't hot enough to work metal with but I think I can let that slide seeing as we don't need fuel to cook or keep warm yet.

I'm not sure what I would do about a material that itemsyndromes people to berserkers. I like the idea, and I've considered making it a temporary syndrome gained by eating a slow growing crop (I remember reading that some berserkers were meant to partake of hallucinogenics to 'rage') but there's no way to stop that being randomly munched by non-combatants. I could put in a reaction to make wolf pelts into a special kind of leather that grants the raging ability, but that just means hunting wolves when available becomes a big thing while berserkers become rare in embarks without wolves. Perhaps I could make a reaction that requires some stuff made by the dokalfr to complete it.

I will be using itemsyndrome in the unique materials for the fire giants, dokalfr and frost giants though.

I won't be doing much work on this for a few weeks though since my exams are coming up and I need to study.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2013, 02:56:44 pm »

I'm not sure what I would do about a material that itemsyndromes people to berserkers. I like the idea, and I've considered making it a temporary syndrome gained by eating a slow growing crop (I remember reading that some berserkers were meant to partake of hallucinogenics to 'rage') but there's no way to stop that being randomly munched by non-combatants. I could put in a reaction to make wolf pelts into a special kind of leather that grants the raging ability, but that just means hunting wolves when available becomes a big thing while berserkers become rare in embarks without wolves. Perhaps I could make a reaction that requires some stuff made by the dokalfr to complete it.

I will be using itemsyndrome in the unique materials for the fire giants, dokalfr and frost giants though.

I won't be doing much work on this for a few weeks though since my exams are coming up and I need to study.
I wasn't suggesting regular wolves as much as some kind of rare solitary monster wolf/bear that lives forever. Perhaps something like large predatory animals that have been touched by a dead dragon's blood, making them crazy predatory monsters. Kill 'em, skin 'em, get pelts that pass on some of that dragon blood power. Could also be that the pelts have weaker benefits than direct dragon blood, but you can take them from your dead for further use.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16