New materials.
- 9 (15.8%)
The language file.
- 9 (15.8%)
New creatures.
- 21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Norse Fortress Mod  (Read 42118 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Norse Fortress Mod
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2013, 07:07:09 pm »

The elves used to kidnap humans so I can't see them being properly friendly. They were meant to be one of the old folktale things that made hunters disappear and travelers vanish.

Dwarves are a bit weird. In some tales I've read they were frankly evil, using trickery and murder to get their hands on gold and treasure. But they also made magical items for heros and gods, like Mjolnir and the fetter that held Fenrir.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2013, 07:13:09 pm »

The elves used to kidnap humans so I can't see them being properly friendly. They were meant to be one of the old folktale things that made hunters disappear and travelers vanish.

Dwarves are a bit weird. In some tales I've read they were frankly evil, using trickery and murder to get their hands on gold and treasure. But they also made magical items for heros and gods, like Mjolnir and the fetter that held Fenrir.

They'd be like the humans in vanilla; they'll trade but they're equally likely to stomp you, nothing anal about wood. And aren't there elves and dark elves?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2013, 07:22:28 pm »

We discussed that a few pages back, Dokalfar/Schwarzalfar are generally assumed to be dwarves by another name since they live underground are are meant to be swarthy as opposed to the Alfar being beautiful and elegant.

EDIT: I think I'll make Alfar a race of human sized ambushers who steal children. They'll have metal, eat animals and chop wood with impunity but I'll also make them run easily like kobolds, who in many ways they'll be replacing for the mods purposes. Trapavoid ambushers who steal kids will be quite hard to deal with but [FLEEQUICK] will make them run when they get resisted.

The Dvergar will be friendly by default and I'll make them have access to a variety of useful things, rare metals, special creatures and the like.

I might try to make Nair (undead from helheim) a proper race in addition to Draugr (who will be the necromancers).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 07:42:30 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2013, 07:54:40 pm »

We discussed that a few pages back, Dokalfar/Schwarzalfar are generally assumed to be dwarves by another name since they live underground are are meant to be swarthy as opposed to the Alfar being beautiful and elegant.

EDIT: I think I'll make Alfar a race of human sized ambushers who steal children. They'll have metal, eat animals and chop wood with impunity but I'll also make them run easily like kobolds, who in many ways they'll be replacing for the mods purposes. Trapavoid ambushers who steal kids will be quite hard to deal with but [FLEEQUICK] will make them run when they get resisted.

The Dvergar will be friendly by default and I'll make them have access to a variety of useful things, rare metals, special creatures and the like.

I might try to make Nair (undead from helheim) a proper race in addition to Draugr (who will be the necromancers).
I was just going to say they should be added. Now, we need to have someone to substitute for the elves...

... I got it but its stupid...

We need an anal race that hardly tolerates us. They may not be elves, but they're jerks to us and probably don't want anything to do with Norsemen and some of their wares. But they'll gladly deal them stuff that they won't back in a heartbeat.

What am I talking about?

...We make the Saxons the equivalent of Elves

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2013, 08:03:08 pm »

Not sure if there's a reasonable way to make them like that but it would be entirely within realism for other human factions to dislike the Norse in some fashion. Maybe I can make them have different ethics to do with personal freedoms which might cause wars in long world gens.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2013, 08:17:41 pm »

It'll be like swapping the years for elves/humans, making the default humans Saxons with more changes to appear like the Anglo-Saxons, ethics included, and have them declare war at the first moment of a seize goods or merchant lost. Make it REALLY tight strings the Norsemen walk with them, because they were both VERY edgy to one another

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2013, 08:43:50 pm »

Not sure how to make them react badly to caravan loss. I think I could give them diplomats to make them need a better guard when they arrive since it doesn't matter how a diplomat dies as far as their home civ is concerned, no matter what it's still your fault.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2013, 12:08:48 am »

Not sure how to make them react badly to caravan loss. I think I could give them diplomats to make them need a better guard when they arrive since it doesn't matter how a diplomat dies as far as their home civ is concerned, no matter what it's still your fault.
I thought it was default when an elven/human caravan looses a man/elf they go and raid you

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2013, 05:30:05 am »

As far as I know a diplomat getting killed is instant war, but I've never actually had any myself.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2013, 08:13:18 am »

As far as I know a diplomat getting killed is instant war, but I've never actually had any myself.
I recall in CaptainDuck's tutorials, he explained that instant war is declared if they loose a merchant in a non-dwarven caravan. I never tried because I've never lost a merchant before because they always kick the shit out of anything that shows up until my army arrives

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2013, 08:19:29 am »

If that were true then all of my forts would be at war with the elves. Since they aren't then I doubt that caravan loss is enough.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2013, 08:22:13 am »

If that were true then all of my forts would be at war with the elves. Since they aren't then I doubt that caravan loss is enough.
I know seizing doesn't do that, but after like 3/4 times, they get angry and attack

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2013, 12:08:52 pm »

I've got dwarves dealt with for now, they still need some unique creatures to bring, I was thinking boar constructs since those exist in the folklore, and some special gear and plantlife.

After that I'll do the fire giants since they'll be nice and easy.

EDIT: Decided to give dragons a tweak, they now have more colour variation, are bigger, have a child token, fly and their blood imparts great resilience on those who bathe in it or drink it.

Altered elves, made them lightning fast, have no armour except mail shirts, reduced weapons, no bows, metal use and babysnatcher, plus some ethics changes and made them human size.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 02:00:23 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2013, 03:31:35 pm »

Just don't let the dragon get it's own blood on it!

Fafnir was bad enough...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2013, 03:38:31 pm »

Fafnir was the inspiration for it. :)

I made dragons immune to the effect. Not much fun cutting a dragon only to make it nigh invulnerable is there.

Though from arena tests I've found elves beat the crap out of berserkers. Same thing as human vs jotunn, too many actions at the start, granted if an elf does get walloped he's prone to losing limbs but still.

Dragon blooded berserkers on the other hand can kill a ton of elves when both sides have iron gear, since the berserker is nigh immortal after drinking dragons blood the elves attacks mostly bounce off. Add in the pain immunity and berserkers can just slash them up at their leisure with nothing to worry about except bloodloss from nicks and cuts.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16