Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 43560 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Begins!
« Reply #165 on: November 01, 2013, 02:48:58 pm »

After playing Magicka, inspiration struck me!

I guess I'll go with Fantasy Adventure again, but with a good dose of comedy.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 01, 2013, 02:54:59 pm »

4186. Now i realise i have urgent schoolwork to do.....
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2013, 03:16:42 pm »

Am I doing my humor right?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
An adventure of a wizard, shunned by his peers and banished from his order. For now, it's gonna be a series of adventure stories till I figure out how it ends.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2013, 03:19:04 pm »

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2013, 03:27:06 pm »

Am I doing my humor right?
An adventure of a wizard, shunned by his peers and banished from his order. For now, it's gonna be a series of adventure stories till I figure out how it ends.
Love it :D
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2013, 03:35:16 pm »

I got up to 1857, letting it stop there for tonight. Starting is always the hardest part for me. Now that the story is rolling a bit, it should come a little easier. I just have to fight off the desire to edit everything six or seven times before moving on. It's worse than heroin, this editing addiction.

It doesn't help that I haven't finished my research. I was hoping I could meet a particular Czech friend this week and discuss traditional fairy tales, stories, random bits of history, life in a village (I have only lived in Prague), and various other details that I will need, but she was too busy. She said she should be able to find some time next week. I hope so, otherwise I'll surely have to rewrite loads of stuff once I have the correct information.

My "buddy list" on the site seems to feature 2 kinds of users: the ones who have written 4000+ words already and the ones who have hardly started yet. I seem to be the only one who went just a little over the minimum and then stopped. We'll see how it goes. I suppose that in many parts of the world it isn't already 9.30 at night.

I can't resist the temptation to share a snippet as well. It always helps my motivation when I know people are reading something, even if it's unfinished.

Spoiler: Excerpt from Day 1 (click to show/hide)

As a vehement cat lover, I feel it is important to have a character who doesn't like cats so that she can learn the error of her ways over the course of the story. Also, this character is nine years old.

I'm having fun already. : )

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2013, 03:41:00 pm »

Starting is always the hardest part for me. Now that the story is rolling a bit, it should come a little easier. I just have to fight off the desire to edit everything six or seven times before moving on. It's worse than heroin, this editing addiction.

Haha, are you me? Starting on a blank page is infuriating. Sometimes I type motivational sentences, pump myself up, and then start off doing my actual writing. It helps sometimes. This time, though, I forced myself to dive straight in with my story. Also, my internal editor is quite the hellhound too. Incredibly hard to tame. Even tends to break out of his cage, from time to time. It's a struggle. :P

I'm right at 2143 words; decided to cut myself off before I ran out of steam. Going to keep it bottled for the next day. And the next. I'm hoping things work out better than last year, when I petered off after a few days and gave up.

I guess since everyone is giving excerpts, I figure why not throw up a paragraph without any context:
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2013, 03:45:05 pm »

A bunch of people like to get head-starts in the beginning. It does make me jealous though when I see someone on day 2 or 3 that already has 14000 words. Maniacs.

I like that beginning. All characters must discover the virtues of cats. The main plot in my story is about a guy searching for his beloved cat. Through uncounted dreamworlds.

Which basically means I can take the plot anywhere. Somehow he's in a mental hospital atm. :) Fun, fun...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2013, 03:47:04 pm »

A bunch of people like to get head-starts in the beginning. It does make me jealous though when I see someone on day 2 or 3 that already has 14000 words. Maniacs.

I like that beginning. All characters must discover the virtues of cats. The main plot in my story is about a guy searching for his beloved cat. Through uncounted dreamworlds.

Which basically means I can take the plot anywhere. Somehow he's in a mental hospital atm. :) Fun, fun...

That... sounds amazing. Want to swap stories? : D

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #174 on: November 01, 2013, 04:47:43 pm »

I'm shadenight123.
And this is Jackass.

I...got up to 12.796.
I know I should feel ashamed of myself.
I know.
But...writing fanfiction helps. A lot.

excerpt of "The Investigator
And
The Case of the Missing Brain"

“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 01, 2013, 04:49:49 pm »

I have a very bad cold, I stayed up entirely too late last night, I'm on some fairly strong medication, I haven't eaten anything all day. LET'S DO THIS!

Hallucinations can only help the writing process, yes?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2013, 04:49:56 pm »

...well. I enjoyed my wordcount superiority while it lasted. I'll just go sob in the corner now, shadenight.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2013, 04:52:36 pm »

Consider that once, writing fanfiction of Naruto...
I wrote two 16K chapters.
In a single day. (One finished early in the morning, the other in the afternoon)
It's no wonders I have the writer's cramps though and my wrists ache in moody weather.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2013, 04:55:07 pm »

I have a very bad cold, I stayed up entirely too late last night, I'm on some fairly strong medication, I haven't eaten anything all day. LET'S DO THIS!

Hallucinations can only help the writing process, yes?

YES.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2013, 06:00:58 pm »

http://nanocountdown.com/

I'll post my own status later.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32