Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 43561 times)

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2013, 06:14:29 pm »

Just under 5 hours to go for me, I'm gonna try to knock out my word count before I head to sleep, and if I have nothing tomorrow, knock out Saturday's word count on Friday. I'm shooting for 2k words per day, give or take 250. So I either I struggle to hit 1750 or stop mid-sentence at 2250... probably the former.  :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2013, 06:35:18 pm »

Just under 5 hours to go for me, I'm gonna try to knock out my word count before I head to sleep, and if I have nothing tomorrow, knock out Saturday's word count on Friday. I'm shooting for 2k words per day, give or take 250. So I either I struggle to hit 1750 or stop mid-sentence at 2250... probably the former.  :P

Yeah I'm hoping to do about the same. I think it was about 1670 words per day to finish on time, minimum, and I was hoping for at least 2k depending on how much action happens that day. I hate dropping off mid-sentence, though.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2013, 06:41:42 pm »

Anyone having second thoughts about their ideas? I'm starting to want to go with something totally new that I haven't been planning for a couple weeks, but that'd probably be a bad idea...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2013, 06:58:38 pm »

So. Any ideas? I procrastinated.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2013, 07:01:16 pm »

To be honest, I wasn't even going to do NaNo this year. It just so happened that I have a novel that I really need to get written at the exact same time as it's happening. Sort of a happy coincidence. So I can't really toss out any ideas to help people who don't have them because all I've got is this.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2013, 07:18:43 pm »

Anyone having second thoughts about their ideas? I'm starting to want to go with something totally new that I haven't been planning for a couple weeks, but that'd probably be a bad idea...

Yes.

Create a setting which takes the usual tropes of Science Fiction fleet battles- shields, fighter squadrons, energy/system management, deadly environment- and mashes it into a Magitek Steampunk thingy with Airships and a dash of Lovecraftian horror. Add a swashbuckling Pirates of the Caribbean style storyline with a healthy dose of Star Wars IV. Character driven plot is for those who prepare, crazy-premise-and-go is for the rest of us!

"Use your Mana, Luke! The Great Old One can interfere with the Crystals, but it cannot disrupt your innate sorcerous gifts!"
"Luke Skysprinter, this is Sky Command. You've disabled your Divinations Crystal. You won't be able to pierce the Great Old One's illusion-field without it!"
"Sky Command, this is Luke. There's no problem. This will be as easy as shooting flying lemurs back at the Mountaintop Monastary!"
"Arise, my mutagenic Minions! Turn your accursed ships toward the attacking cloud-dwellers! Only in victorious death can you win release from our dark lord Kilkdlibugauh!"

I'm trying REALLY hard to stick to my original plan.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2013, 07:20:01 pm »

Hmm. Make Jack Sparrow a Jedi/Sith hybrid and have him fuck up a vaguely Haloish universe.
Perfect!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2013, 07:35:48 pm »

Uhmmm. A quick browse of some prompt sites turned up some good ones:

Unsinkable and Undead - A zombie plague erupts on the Titanic
News anchor is told to "spice up the show" and starts making up fake stories.
Take a story you already like and are familiar with, and add monsters (cross-reference: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, both of which are real books)

And a few off the top of my head (I have no idea what you like to write, have a wide selection):

A vegan falls madly in love with a dairy farmer. Mutual values dissonance ensues.
Pick a work you like and write about what happens AFTER the story is resolved.
Sunnytown (country, province, or state) has had perfect weather for 50 years, but suddenly the rain starts and doesn't stop for 3 months. Why? How do they cope?
Vacationers stay in a beautiful old hotel, but it is literally alive (and aware) and all the employees are service parasites.
A generational colony spaceship is sabotaged - but the efforts go unnoticed for 3 generations. What happens to the ship? Do you punish the descendents of the saboteurs?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2013, 08:12:25 pm »

Woop, got my word count up to par for today. Not sure if I should keep writing now or get some sleep. Meh, it's nano. What is sleep?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2013, 08:34:52 pm »

I'll start writing tomorrow.

Crap what was I going to write again? ???

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2013, 08:38:24 pm »

Yeah I'm hoping to do about the same. I think it was about 1670 words per day to finish on time, minimum, and I was hoping for at least 2k depending on how much action happens that day. I hate dropping off mid-sentence, though.

1667 per day, and you'll come out just over 50k. And eh, I actually prefer dropping of mid-sentence, as it bugs me enough to force me back into writing the next day while giving me more time to plan ahead, short term, for the story. To each their own, though.

I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to write about, I keep trying to think of new ideas but I feel uninspired.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2013, 08:40:52 pm »

I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to write about, I keep trying to think of new ideas but I feel uninspired.

I'm swimming in the same boat as you are, my friend. A bunch of half-concepts but no ideas that I really want to write about.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2013, 08:56:44 pm »

I'm trying to keep to a target of 4-5k words per day for the first week. Having a little room to breathe is great for those days when something comes up and you have to be out all day... Falling behind in nano is usually the reason I give up "oh crap, I have to finish 8k before I'm back up to par?? Whatever, I'll do it next year..."

Not this time, dammit.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2013, 09:19:49 pm »

No staying up past midnight for me. Got work in the morning :P

Still, I'll do what I can. If I can beat last year's word count, I'll consider this year a success.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2013, 09:28:30 pm »

I'm trying to keep to a target of 4-5k words per day for the first week. Having a little room to breathe is great for those days when something comes up and you have to be out all day... Falling behind in nano is usually the reason I give up "oh crap, I have to finish 8k before I'm back up to par?? Whatever, I'll do it next year..."

Not this time, dammit.

My first year (last year), I remember I would just skip days because "Well, it'll only add 30 words per day to my words per day requirement." But then it went to 50, then 100. Eventually I had to write like 10k words a day, and then I gave up. This time it's going to go well, though.

Except I only have one character and a basic plot and I have no idea what else is going to happen and ah!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32