Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 43558 times)

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2013, 10:16:13 pm »

And - thank goodness! - close to the last moment, I've come up with a setting I want to explore in detail. An hour left until midnight. I'm sitting here mulling over a page of brain vomit notes on the setting.

It's a far-future medieval-esque scifi setting where knowledge of technology, industry, and even history has been lost to time and warfare. Technology is patchwork and vaguely understood at the best of times, unreliable garbage at the worst.

The setting ranges from melange starships, to knights on horseback; from the rarest laser rifle, to the commoner's sword; from the towering skyscrapers of an emperor's personal demesne, to the crumbling walls of a backwater farming colony.

I have to say, I'm excited about this setting. Now I just have to come up with exactly who the character is, the situation he finds himself in, and what goes on from there.  :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:20:43 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2013, 10:17:06 pm »

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2013, 10:22:14 pm »

horseback infantry
Wat.

Meh, corrected it. My mind and my words didn't quite work together well on trying to express what I intended. Brain farts stink.  ::)
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2013, 11:21:00 pm »

horseback infantry
Wat.

Meh, corrected it. My mind and my words didn't quite work together well on trying to express what I intended. Brain farts stink.  ::)

To be fair, horseback infantry is a thing; it's the original meaning of the word Dragoon. Basically they use the horses to get to the battle quickly, then dismount to fight. They were pretty much gimmicks before ~1600, but I imagine a fair amount of that had to do with the social status associated with horsemanship, which wouldn't be given to conscripts lightly (quite apart from the expense of the feat.) That said, it's easy to think of half a dozen settings where Dragoons would be the order of the day, particularly if they're mounted on speeders and jeeps instead of horses (which would technically be motorized infantry, but heck, Dragoon is a fun word. Dragoon Dragoon Dragoon.)

Also hey, it's NaNo in my time zone! Think I'll go to bed though, I do nothing tomorrow so I'd rather get a good night's sleep and be rested for a day of writing.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2013, 02:34:36 am »

I got some sleep, woke up at 7.00, thought immediate of NaNo. Now it's 8.30 and I'm still procrastinating. I suppose although I know what I want the story to be about, I don't know how to start it. I'm trying to persuade myself that it's okay if I don't start with the very beginning, if I just start somewhere slightly into the story then go back and write the beginning later, but it bothers me to start anywhere but the start.

Typical block, unable to find the words for the first page. And in a few hours I have to go to work for the afternoon. So I'd really like to get started before then...

By the way, here's the description of my story, which I posted on the "Czech Republic and Slovakia" forum on the NaNo site:

Also, I like that part of the advice in the latest "pep talk" is "Lie to yourself."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2013, 02:42:34 am »

First insomniac word sprint of inspiration came to 800 words. I'm sort of making myself call this a good stopping point, because I want to keep going, but know I'll need some motivation tomorrow.

@Sappho: Start at the beginning. The kids step off the plane and are greeted by their grandfolks. You get some time to develop the characters before the conflict occurs that sets of the rest of the story in motion that way, and if you want there's room for foreshadowing commentary on Prague from the kids' and elders' perspectives.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2013, 03:05:58 am »

I'm torn on where the start should be. I had imagined originally that I should start in America, establishing what the kids' lives and family are like before dropping them in Prague. Now I'm thinking that maybe I should start in Prague, then later the kids can remember various things that happened in America, and the background will be revealed that way. I'm remembering that sometimes I start reading a book that I know will be good, but first I have to slog through two or three chapters of background before the fun stuff happens, and I don't want to create a book like that.

Anyway, I think it's okay if I write whatever is easiest to write first. Later on I can rearrange things so that the parts in America come at the right time.

It would help if my cat would stay off the damned keyboard!

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2013, 04:05:18 am »

Coffee failed me. Now, at 9:00, it begins.

EDIT: 2 hours, 2,800 words. I may need to pick up the pace a tad to be able to finish once school starts.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:45:30 am by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Begins!
« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2013, 10:53:02 am »

Year 2 for me. I don't think I broke 20k last year. This year though!! My plan of attack this year like last is PLAN AT ZEE START OF NOBEMBAH!! I'm aiming for a half marathon. 50k. Easy enough. Right?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2013, 12:55:40 pm »

It'll be several more hours before I can even begin writing. Such is working life :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2013, 12:59:08 pm »

4020 words today. Did most on my school skip. Pretty good feeling. I have a bit more overall cos I cheated and wrote a prologue beforehand because I am a bad person. Still, 4020 words, oh yes. My plan is to double my rate on every day.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2013, 01:07:57 pm »

Holy wow. 4020 is too many words for the first day! You're making the rest of us look bad!

I'm up to 1484 now, trying to push through to 2000 but I'll stop short of that if I need to as long as I reach the minimum. There's a meetup of local NaNos in Prague tomorrow at a really cool pub/cafe place, so hopefully I'll make some new friends and get some work done there. Naturally I'll be drinking plenty of beer. Not at all sure if that will make me write more or less. Probably more, but worse. : )

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2013, 01:29:55 pm »

Day 1: 2242 words, with plenty of daylight left. I wasn't sure which story thread to pick up, so I started a new one by casting one of the main characters into the Infinite Horrors of the Abyss. Very definitely not based on that time a kobold with a dagger of distortion banished me on D:6 in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup no sir.

Spoiler: excerpt (click to show/hide)

Also, I got to add the word "kobold" to Open Office's dictionary, so that's a plus!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2013, 02:04:33 pm »

I managed to sneak in a bit of wordsmithing this morning. Sadly, I only got up to 1200 words or so, but I decided to add in a new character and the beginning was my least-planned segment. I'm sure things will pick up later once I can get some distraction-free time.

Spoiler: Apocalypse Ambience (click to show/hide)
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 01, 2013, 02:07:53 pm »

Well, I've pretty much abandoned my idea and gone back to the one I used last year (and didn't get far with). However this time I'm writing it in a kind of memoir style that I like (mostly because it's long-winded and rambly) so I should be able to make 50k words if I put in the effort. Whether the novel will be any good is something that is secondary at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32