Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 48

Author Topic: Treebanned: Gremlin-Hunting!  (Read 64444 times)

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting retarded ideals since 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Treebanned: Farmhouse shenanigans!
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2013, 06:06:39 pm »

Ask him if he would be willing to make a bargain:
offer to fix up the house a bit in exchange for the option to stay for the night. then suggest we mightbe willing to look into getting rid of his troll problem in exchange for the fertility potion (for when our relationship with the dryad rights itself[or when we find a suitable wife ;D]) and the analyze magic spell.
As for the trolls: they are VERY easy to beat in combat (their general stupidity makes it easy to cheat against them in a fight. plus, trolls HATE fire [kills their regen powers].)

(in response to the ninja)
ask about the book AFTER we take care of the trolls. (we want some good rep first)
+1 to all of your other questions

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2013, 06:31:46 pm »

ptw
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2013, 06:49:38 pm »

So ask him:
  • Why he wants our name
  • How much it's worth to him
  • If this is some magic stuff or if he just wants to start calling himself it
  • Would we get his name, if not what would we call our self
  • Where we can find gold

+1. Also, is he offering to teach us magic or is it one  of those "use scroll to learn fireball" shticks? How powerful does he look? Could we take him? Does he know the spells detailed above or is the scroll thingy?

As for the trolls: they are VERY easy to beat in combat (their general stupidity makes it easy to cheat against them in a fight. plus, trolls HATE fire [kills their regen powers].)

-1, ask him to tell us about the troll, we would be fools to assume them dumb and weak to fire, (most trolls in stories are very variable when it comes to powers/weakness, we need to know all we can about this one). Also,

fertility potion (for when our relationship with the dryad rights itself[or when we find a suitable wife ;D]) and the analyze magic spell.

A reluctant +1 to getting the potion, as It could be needed after whatever the effs that Wooden Woman did to us.

Ask more about the potion, would it allow us to impregnate unorthodox (but humanoid) races, (Like a certain dryad we know...  :P)

EDIT: Also (again), ask for a more detailed description of the spells.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 06:54:20 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2013, 06:57:40 pm »

Ask him if he would be willing to make a bargain:
offer to fix up the house a bit in exchange for the option to stay for the night. then suggest we mightbe willing to look into getting rid of his troll problem in exchange for the fertility potion (for when our relationship with the dryad rights itself[or when we find a suitable wife ;D]) and the analyze magic spell.

We could ask for a more permanent residence if we deal with the troll and the river issue, (close to our ex-lover, place can be fixed up, have company, and the "people" (possibly including the dryad) here would owe us for dealing with the river) and I have to agree with Kero on confirming weaknesses/strengths, and finding out if its scrolls or if he teaches us or whatever.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:00:36 pm by Cain12 »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2013, 08:12:17 pm »

You ask some specific questions of Nah. He seems willing enough to answer. Guess the little fellow just needed to warm up to you.

"I'd get your name, and you'd have to take mine" he says. "I don't care for mine. I found it in a book and it was the only thing that seemed applicable to me. I could make do with Jeffrey."

"A name exchange would add 100 ounces to your side of the bargain."

"You could find gold all over around this country. There are plenty of ruins where you could dig up some artifacts. Smart people like trolls collect gold, so they're a good bet too. I hear there's a ruined city downriver." (West)

"I can't really teach any magic. I just have this stuff ... that I found honest-like. You know, in hard-to-reach places where nobody would intend to leave something and come back for it." He thinks a moment. "Lost articles, you could say. I don't know how to cast Analyze Magic, for example, I just know enough to figure out what the spell is. So I can't really answer any other questions about my inventory."

You offer to help fix up the house. "I'm doin' ok around here. I figure, when the place finally blows down, I'll just skedaddle and find someplace else. Sometimes you just gotta be alone for a while."

You offer to help with the troll problem. "Oh don't go around sayin' I said it's a "troll problem"! I'm just sayin' it's a rumor I heard. All I know for sure is the river isn't runnin' like it should."

He comes back to your question about shelter. "Feel free to shack up here if ya want. Just try not to burn down the place is all I'm askin'."

During your conversation with Nah you get the impression he's very small, very slow, and very careful. If he weren't a dozen feet down a crawlspace and around a teeny corner you could totally take him. Maybe if you caught him out in the open.

Spoiler: Inventory: 15/20 (click to show/hide)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2013, 08:52:22 pm »

I don't know whether to trust this guy or not. On the one hand an exchange of names would seem to be an innocent, innocuous transaction. On the other though names are held in almost every culture to have a powerful magical significance, and by selling it we may be selling something more. Nah assured us we would just be switching our names, but we only just met the guy. Maybe his debts to this troll are tied to his name rather than to his person, and he's trying to trick us to take his debt for him.

Over-all we just dont know enough about magic and the significance of a name to risk it. There's no guarantee this... Cramp was it? Isn't some mischievious forest spirit out to screw us over. Despite this I think we should be safe sleeping in the house for the night if Nah is really as slow and weak as we observed.

Politely refuse to sell our name

Light a fire in the fireplace and shack up in Nah's house for the night, but remain alert.

When the sun rises in the morning grab our stick and head west for the ruined city

After we leave set Nah's house on fire.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:54:55 pm by LegendaryWoodBurner »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2013, 08:56:01 pm »

Do not sell your name. Sleep at Nah's shack for a while. Head towards the dried out river after waking.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2013, 09:01:49 pm »

Do not sell your name. Sleep at Nah's shack for a while. Head towards the dried out river after waking.
+1
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2013, 09:12:56 pm »

You gather some wood from the burning barn, which luckily hasn't spread to much of the brush, and with the fuel you make a cheery fire in the first floor fireplace. The wind still cuts through the house, and once it becomes clear Nah isn't going to make a deal today he goes on about his business in the innards of the house. You can't tell if the occasional scurry and scrape is him or some vermin in the walls. Once you're inside your torch is just about done for, but you have enough scraps to make another.

You're pretty hungry. The food in the kitchen is spoiled and awful at best. You're also rather thirsty.

In the morning you wake with a grumbling belly and a parched mouth, gather up your stick, and head into the forest to the north. The barn is still smoking but not on fire anymore. The weather is just like it was yesterday: cold, breezy, light snow flurries that don't collect much on the ground. You're basically wearing a big heavy fur blanket and a belt.

Try to pass by the Dryad's tree or steer clear of it? Any actions along the way?

Spoiler: Inventory: 16/20 (click to show/hide)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2013, 09:28:11 pm »

Set the dryad's tree on fire

In seriousness though, we need to focus on reaching the dried river as soon as possible. Considering Nah mentioned people complaining about the river drying up that means there is almost definitely some form of town or society up there.

Head north, Visit the dryad's tree on the way
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:30:13 pm by LegendaryWoodBurner »

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting retarded ideals since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2013, 09:33:07 pm »

before we make our next move, let us put together what we know about Nah

• he owes the trolls gold, then states the trolls are a rumor
  • he lives in abandoned houses and explicitly says he like 'being alone for a while'
  • he is selling items he found that no-one would miss
  • he is offering to swap names for a discount of 100 ounces of gold on whatever we buy.
  • he likes underground places

knowing these facts, I bet 'Nah' is a thief or one of the Fair Folk. either way, we should take whatever he says with a grain of salt. That doesn't mean, however that we should not investigate the trolls. they might pay a good price if we rat Nah out.

My new suggestion is: find trolls, meet troll leader (if he/she is not hostile) inquire about Nah the Cramp.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2013, 01:45:47 am »

Finally there is a suspicious one,
Do NOT trust this Nah, he seems wicked. An evil gnome or a kappa fairy will tell you anything to get what it wants. Nonetheless, the river shall be saved by us: Jeffrey. Also visiting the dryad tree might be a cool idea, but I highly doubt that we would find it again, so looking for it is most likely a waste of time.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2013, 05:27:28 am »

Well I still think he is just a small gray thing that fits into small spaces, but yeah we don't have to trust him just yet, he can earn that.
No to selling our name if that is still on the table, could make him a new name or get someone else to give up their name, wonder why he would pick a name from a book anyway, should ask him if we end up warming to each other enough to share back stories. Anyway we should try to get at least 100 ounces of gold, analyze magic sounds useful.
Also If Nah is a Fairfolk I don't think he would be in debt to troll, unless they managed to outwit a fey which without much confirming trolls being smart enough in this setting, I don't think would happen.

We should check on the dryad if we can find her, hope she doesn't already have another victim/lover.

Edit: I dont think we are ready to deal with the river, Should go look into gaining/finding some gold/magic/ruins, if we run into hostile trolls it will show us what to expect when we do go to deal with the river issue.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:07:34 am by Cain12 »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2013, 06:51:04 am »

You raise some good points there chap. I personally don't feel the importance of money as of now. We are in the middle of the forest afterall, we will do good enough fending for ourselves. So instead of finding money we should try to hunt, try to find a reliable source of water, and we should study magic (I guess a quick review will do, as we understood that the books were about basic magical study; so i guess we are trained in the magical workings, we just forgot it all) I wonder why you guys are so fond of the old dryad, afterall she made us forget and she threw us out of her house naked, so all she deserves is not paying any attention to her...

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2013, 08:15:45 am »

You raise some good points there chap. I personally don't feel the importance of money as of now. We are in the middle of the forest afterall, we will do good enough fending for ourselves. So instead of finding money we should try to hunt, try to find a reliable source of water, and we should study magic (I guess a quick review will do, as we understood that the books were about basic magical study; so i guess we are trained in the magical workings, we just forgot it all) I wonder why you guys are so fond of the old dryad, afterall she made us forget and she threw us out of her house naked, so all she deserves is not paying any attention to her...
It's more a revenge matter for me, I want to at least make her want us to come back to her. Plus she did give us good time. Also +1 to your stuff, no need to rush off to adventure, plenty to do around here if I could add anything it would be to fix up the house when we have
nothing better to do. (Suggest asking Nah where he gets water now that the river is dry)

Edit: Plus I think its normal for a 17 year old to get hung up on his ex and want her back.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:25:51 am by Cain12 »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 48