Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 48

Author Topic: Treebanned: Gremlin-Hunting!  (Read 64413 times)

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting retarded ideals since 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Treebanned: Farmhouse shenanigans!
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2013, 01:09:04 pm »

Examine books, look for interesting stuff there. Move the picture to see if there is anything behind it
+1

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2013, 01:31:57 pm »

Nothing behind the picture. It's attached to a nail in the wall with a length of wire.

The books have soft pages of parchment and wooden covers wrapped in leather, each book bound with straps built into the cover. Despite these protections they've all been opened and put back haphazardly. The few you skim through are about elementary magical concepts like the Property of Isolation, Robert's Icosahedric Corollary, tables of basic and contrived sympathetic resonance between common materials. Nothing special.

Wait. What?

Spoiler: Inventory: 10/20 (click to show/hide)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2013, 01:41:38 pm »

OOOH! very important books. I think that the previous inhabitant of this house was a wizard or witch.

to do list:
1. check to see if there are spells in those books (specifically: an unlocking spell)
2. go back to uncovered hatch downstairs
3. open hatch
4. explore!

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2013, 01:46:43 pm »

1. check to see if there are spells in those books (specifically: an unlocking spell)
3. open hatch
4. explore!
+1
Take one or two of the books first, more stuff to burn, something to read, trading/leverage, whatever works.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2013, 01:50:02 pm »

OOOH! very important books. I think that the previous inhabitant of this house was a wizard or witch.

to do list:
3. open hatch
4. explore!

+1

The way they talk about it, It sounds like magic is more of science in this setting, yes? But if their are any specific spells, look for mind-controlling ones (nothing evil, just pacification, stunning, sleep, etc). If the books subject matter seems too complex for now, stash some smaller ones in our backpack to look over, could at least help us deal with magic encountered later. In particular, anything about disrupting or countering magic.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2013, 02:06:39 pm »

You don't find any spells. These are more like reference materials and study aids. There's nothing here you don't understand - which is actually the weird part. You sure don't remember casting any spells before!

You pick what's probably the most useful, comprehensive reference text. There's no more space in your satchel - the locked book already fills it up - and now with this book you're almost maxed out on items. If you find another container you can carry more stuff.

You head downstairs to the front room that had the hatch. It squeals as you open it but it's sturdy.

Beneath is a crawlspace that you could just barely wriggle into. You peek in. It's a long stretch of space between two parallel floor beams. It's very dusty. The floorboards are a couple thin layers of wood on top, and below is probably the ceiling of the cellar. There are small holes in the beams that you can see ahead and behind. Peeking out of one of those holes, some distance down the crawlspace, you see a little grey face with big ears, watching you. It yelps, "Whaddaya want?"

Spoiler: Inventory: 15/20 (click to show/hide)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2013, 02:11:43 pm »

Well introduce ourselves for starters, explain that we are seeking shelter, ask if anyone else lives round here. Then inquire into the creature before us.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2013, 02:21:34 pm »

Well introduce ourselves for starters, explain that we are seeking shelter, ask if anyone else lives round here. Then inquire into the creature before us.

+1
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2013, 02:36:59 pm »

You introduce yourself, "I'm Jeffrey. I'm just here looking for some shelter for the night."

The creature retorts, "I hear the barn is nice and warm."

You press on. "This place looks abandoned. Does anyone live here?"

The creature blinks its huge eyes a few times. "Nobody's lived here for a long time, 'cept me."

You continue, "And who are you?"

"I'm Nah."

Well that clears things up.

Before you can think of anything else to say, he says "You got anything for trade? I need gold."

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2013, 03:08:10 pm »

Offer the vial, telling him its a good old potion of love...

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2013, 03:25:29 pm »

Offer the vial, telling him its a good old potion of love...
Ask Nah if it knows who owned this place before he came upon it. He/she obviously knows quite a bit about this place and it never hurts to help someone in need. Guessing by the look of this place, he/she needs a LOT of help fixing this place up.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2013, 04:04:15 pm »

Ask Nah if it knows who owned this place before he came upon it. He/she obviously knows quite a bit about this place and it never hurts to help someone in need. Guessing by the look of this place, he/she needs a LOT of help fixing this place up.
+1, also ask why he/she needs gold, if he/she needs anything else, and what he/she can offer in return.

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2013, 04:46:55 pm »

+1, also ask why he/she needs gold, if he/she needs anything else, and what he/she can offer in return.
+1 to your  idea too.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2013, 05:27:34 pm »

You consider offering Nah the Amber Vial but decide against it.

You ask Nah, "What are you offering?" He squeezes into his hole in the beam, and you would swear he shouldn't be able to fit through there. He returns a moment later,
, explaining how much gold he thinks each one is worth.

You ask Nah why he wants gold specifically. "Gold," he breathes, "is imperishable, like the fame of ancient heroes, like the flames of the blazing sun." He smirks. "And besides, the troll I owe wants gold."

Does Nah need anything else? "That depends. Are you willing to sell me your name, Jeffrey?" It doesn't look like he's joking.

Is there anything you can do to help around here? "You can start by burning down fewer buildings. There aren't so many good ones around anymore. Getting to be so a Cramp can't find a little place to call his own. Besides that, everything is good. Real quiet. Some people complaining about the river to the north drying up but nobody wants to go up into troll territory to the source."

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2013, 05:49:13 pm »

Fair to say we are on the quest for gold now if we want magic?
So ask him:
  • Why he wants our name
  • How much it's worth to him
  • If this is some magic stuff or if he just wants to start calling himself it
  • Would we get his name, if not what would we call our self
  • Where we can find gold

Might be tempting, but it is one of our few links to our past, depends on what it's worth and what we really lose I guess. (Inheritance, Deeds, that kind of thing)
Edit:Anyone trust this dude enough to ask him about that locked book we have?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:55:28 pm by Cain12 »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 48