Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856555 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #4080 on: August 13, 2023, 01:03:40 am »

Save Our Ship 2 is probably what you're thinking of.

The Steam version isn't up to date, but there's a github prerelease that's being worked on heavily.

There's also the Stellarch ending and the archonexus if you want to give those a go.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #4081 on: August 13, 2023, 08:35:44 am »

I noticed I left off the part where that win was done with the tribals.

I'm on Vanilla, so the other two aren't options, and I haven't been keen enough on the expansions to really want to buy them.
Save Our Ship probably is the one I'm thinking of though, thanks.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: August 13, 2023, 10:52:50 pm »

Death by a thousand gunia pig scratches.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nope!  :D
Nope.
I hate biotech children so, so much.
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: August 14, 2023, 05:29:09 pm »

Spoiler: pic of Landing Zone (click to show/hide)

The slaves actually found themselves in my armory together at the old base and grabbed a bunch of bows, show the toes off a few of my boys.  As per the religion as my guide, they were beaten but servitude to pay off their debts is more fitting than death.

Spoiler: Updated pic (click to show/hide)

Been over a half year here.  1.5 ingame years in the campaign.  We dug in, but it's still completely open to either side.  The only thing I walled off was the cave and river up top of the first pic, and a small exit/entrance in one corner.

A lot of traders came in the first season - way more than I could handle and probably way more than anyone needs.  Like 1 a day for a whole season.  We had a couple of raids, 3 I can think of off top.  Tribals are mostly jokes on open fields.  Sure some have bows, but guns, esp massed fire, easily tops that.  One group did a nighttime raid on meand headshot my best hunter with a pilum.  A spear chucked, went right into the brain.  Dead on contact.

And some bandits demanded tribuite and drop podded in when I refused.  Rude, did it all over the map, even in my base.  This group headshot my second and last 'great' shooter.  She lived with severe brain damage.  She gimps around the map at a staggering 1.8 tiles a second.  I set here to lowest priority hunting and will assign any stray animals that get to close to her.  she has a sniper rifle, so at least she can hang back and support us that way.

I planted a guarlenun tree and assigned it 1 days before the raid, and Im irritated by the mechanic that says I cannot couple her to it, since I dont want her dead and she pretty useless as a full time hunter now.  A lot of my luxery came from the food security those two hunters brought me, and Im feeling it now.  I have a fleet of domestic animals, which I can fry up in a pinch, but Ive never done a 'ranching' colony.  idk how many muffalo or horses or whatever I need to sustain myself.  I have quite a few slaves now too...

Speaking of; most of the slaves I brought with me are dead, one remains.  The rest rose up constantly until I could get some better storage of my weapons and more skulls up and online.  No tears over them, but youd think they would get tired of running away or smoking all my pot, or heaven forbid trying to kill my melee champion.

Im a little concerned about my food situation, at least until the new crops I planted in response to the loss of my hunters come in, but I have soooo much kibble and animals.  Plus a lot of my new slaves are at least passable farmers and I have my original farmer who got quite good.

I *did* take nature supremacy as a new meme for a giggle, and fuck me.  -20 mood right off the rip and its not going away until ... at least 30 more days.  The financee of one of the meleers was the dead hunter and he flips his shit every third day.  Last time he delimbed a poor slave in a tantrum, so now he doesnt get to have weapons on him.

Self-imposed misery and the loss of food aside, we're slowly cranking the research back out again, now that Im  not constantly try to tend to slave revolts and beserk 15 melee axmen.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: August 15, 2023, 02:15:06 am »

Why is it called Rimworld?
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: August 15, 2023, 02:22:26 am »

Because the game takes place on a rimworld; aka, a world on the "rim" or edge of galactic civilization.

There are other worlds of course. High tech futuristic glitterworlds, deadworlds where (ya know) everything is dead, midworlds with roughly modern tech levels.
But we don't get to see any of those, all we see are the worlds on the rim.
The kitchen was clean the whole time and the message was mentioning the chef causing it rather than a dirty room. Don't know if that message is vanilla or not, but every time it said that it was caused by an incompetent cook. And they were the sole person with cooking on the work tab.

I'm always checking on the kitchen, even with dedicated cleaners it'll get dirty half the time so I'll usually send the chef to give it a clean if it's not.
The message is vanilla, but from what I can tell it can be wrong and counts dirty kitchens in the same category.
It could also have theoretically been a guest that was willing to do some cooking, but that feels like a bit of a stretch. We may never know the truth.
(X-files theme plays in the background).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: August 15, 2023, 06:41:27 am »

And the reason there's so many different worlds like that is that FTL travel turned out to be impossible. Interstellar nations are only possible in dense star clusters, although there's some fuckery with things like solar pinholes allowing instantaneous matter transmission on a tiny scale, but that's powered by some god-like planetary AI called archotechs that tend to emerge from the above-mentioned glitterworlds.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: August 15, 2023, 08:48:41 am »

While partially dated due to the DLC pushing at the seams of the lore, there are the old lore intro documents.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: August 18, 2023, 04:55:48 am »

Has anyone ever traveled the map to reach the spaceship? I tried it once but stopped after 3 pod launches. It seems like a ridiculous amount of effort when you could just research all the parts anyway.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: August 18, 2023, 05:02:38 am »

Has anyone ever traveled the map to reach the spaceship? I tried it once but stopped after 3 pod launches. It seems like a ridiculous amount of effort when you could just research all the parts anyway.

In my most recent playthrough I made an effort to migrate there. I made it but something caused me two want to reload and the need to go through it another time killed my want to continue playing it, unfortunately.

But yeah, I went there on foot. Pod jumping just seems so inefficient, or maybe I just don't understand how to use them efficiently.
Love, scriver~

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #4090 on: August 18, 2023, 09:59:48 am »

If you're traversing good foragable terrain, and/or have a Large stockpile of preserved food, *and* have the ability to transport it all with you, then yea, pods aren't the most efficient way.
That said, they're relatively cheap at only some steel (every site you land at will have a couple thousand in veins) + biofuel plus one component each pod+launcher, and that carries 150kg 66 tiles in a couple hours, regardless of impassibility. Pods are also much lower research requirement to get to than the full ship tree.
Not a fool's errand, but definitely requires some thought as to whether they're worth using. If it's a long trek across multiple impassible ranges? Might be the only way to make it to that ship in time.
If you've got a lot of pack animals, and the path is ~100% foragability, nah, waste of effort.

Unrelated to space travel, pods are one of the easiest ways you can send gifts to other factions and get them friendly enough to send traders. Especially if you're not using Hospitality mod.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: August 18, 2023, 11:52:24 am »

Spoiler: pic of Landing Zone (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Updated pic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: End of Year 2 (click to show/hide)

Gave the headshot hunter some luci, except nobody of note came by to trade.  A dry spell of nothing but manhunters, tribal melee rushes, and isolation.  The nearest friendly industrial outpost is a good week away, up north.  I have some pigguys, and some medieval neighbors, as well as a savage tribe I befriended after releasing 9 of their tended raiders back into the wild again.  But I dont have a reliable industrial trader coming by.

Shes on her last pill, having taken the second on before she left.  She's out there to 1: trade away the crap Ive accrued and 2) find some luci, by force if I must. I sent 2 colonists, 2 slaves, and some dogs jic.

The base got walled off after a 40 man tribal raid, followed by 32 boomrat manhunters, followed by a quest for taking in a child highmate who screwed up a peace treaty between the local waste raiders and the pigmen.  That last one solved itself, with the waster setting fire to my whole north-east corner of the map as both parties perished in flame without my intervention.  We got a lot of cool weapons and much needed armor out of them, but no luci and still no helmets.

I mean, eventually I had to wall up, I will fortify it further later, but I've begun setting out proper rooms for the rest of the colonists who havent got one yet.

The tree religion penalty is starting to abate.  between -10 and -16 is better than the -20 plus the death of the well-liked hunter.  The slaves are mostly behaving, even when I get the equipped with guns.  The big hold up is research.  We finally got complex furniture, but we dont have a huge surplus of wood nor a large stockpile of blocks.  The former due to the religion and the latter due to our low tech meaning we only make 10 blocks per job, plus we do it 50% slower per job.  Still, the gualenbob tree produces wood, the beavers from whatever mod make wooden dams, and we can always go chopping offsite with no penalty.

Id kill for some luci.  Id probably kill for some helmets too.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: August 22, 2023, 02:26:06 pm »

I started playing around with that one mod that lets the player generate a colonist portrait, and while it's not fantastic, it's a fun toy to play around with. Some came out pretty good, some pretty funny, and some downright horrifying:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 05:11:41 pm by SQman »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: August 22, 2023, 10:05:12 pm »

I started playing around with that one mod that lets the player generate a colonist portrait, and while it's not fantastic, it's a fun toy to play around with. Some came out pretty good, some pretty funny, and some downright horrifying:

Something about all their eyes is ghastly...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: August 22, 2023, 10:29:27 pm »

Make it do their hands.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 280