Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856534 times)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #4095 on: August 23, 2023, 04:49:02 am »

Make it do their hands.

Not exactly my call. The mod itself gives the AI prompts based on the pawn's appearance and traits. It's set to make portraits, and it makes portraits.

I've got the rest of the colony done. The last time it crashed for some reason.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: August 23, 2023, 12:28:58 pm »

I am a bit amused that Rimworld went "NO ALIENS!", and then proceeded to have humans able to be about as alien as possible from one another while still somehow being able to crossbreed.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: August 23, 2023, 12:32:26 pm »

Trenton is Agent 47.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: August 23, 2023, 01:47:14 pm »

Trenton is Agent 47.

I was thinking he slightly resembled sheldon from big bang theory, if sheldon had another bodytype

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: August 23, 2023, 03:31:47 pm »

I am a bit amused that Rimworld went "NO ALIENS!", and then proceeded to have humans able to be about as alien as possible from one another while still somehow being able to crossbreed.

The old lore docs (both the original and the slightly streamlined later version) both feature xenohumans. Sadly, the original version's uplifted animals were retconned out.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: September 04, 2023, 05:36:08 am »

I just can't get over those. Guys on the other forum:
"Ideology breaks the game com-ple-te-ly"
"Care to elaborate?"
"Look above. With Ideology, by autumn of first year I have around 80 colonists, 2 level 6 psycaster dudes (and I can make 1 more every month exactly), one of them a knight. Colony wealth is around 350 000. All tech that do not require advanced bench are researched, and it was a naked brutality tribal start.
Colonists also live in inhuman conditions (butcher and eat people, sell people to slavery, sleep on the floor in a common room, eat paste) and they feel great!
No mods at all. It's all Ideology.

All those dudes sown around 6000 tiles with corn (and continue to sow more). That will give me 120000 corn by spring, allowing me to buy up all ship materials in one year."
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 05:43:10 am by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: September 04, 2023, 07:36:05 am »

Well I'm not sure but that does seem broken? Even if they broke it themselves?
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: September 04, 2023, 07:57:03 am »

ideology grants crazy resources to mood, allowing you to eat, smoke, and chop your way through a lot.  Add to that royalty's broken fealty system where they give the you first rank free for protecting somebody from a rabid squirrel or kitten; which snowballs fairly quickly into you calling down orbital strikes and whole armies and selling live prisoners wholesale to do so.  Its a positive feedback loop; the more raids you have the more honor you get for keeping them alive ... in any form.

Now you also get biotech; enslaving people on the cheap, creating custom tailorized genomics that you start with; including all sorts of things at the simple cost of 'making it harder to modifiy' and 'eatting more', the former not being relevant if youve supped it up at game start and the latter being solved with .... more raids.

Quests for 12+ temporary colonists that do massive amounts of labor, who can be betrayed easily and disarmed prior to said betrayal; their very skin capable of buying enough drugs/furniture/goodwill to offset the rather small malus from betraying them.

Rimwolrd isnt balanced; its not meant to be, but the game enables and even encourages people to create these 'war crime factories' that thrive on raids.  Maybe today had some good ideas wrt: limiting the excesses of sieges and sapient farming.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 07:58:34 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: September 05, 2023, 03:52:36 am »

best mod for adding new quest?

and exist an option to see the history of my game ( raid, great event, ecc ecc )

thk
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 04:00:36 am by teoleo »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: September 05, 2023, 06:57:52 am »

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2379076640 - More Faction Interaction

^^ Its more focused on diplomacy, but tries to bring the global map to life a little.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=294100&searchtext=event&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch&section= - event mods

afa: history and messages, there is a little book on the bottom right of the UI.  In it, there are tabs to view recent message history, including pop up envelopes as well as the ones that expire on the top left.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: September 05, 2023, 02:27:30 pm »

Feature creep comes for us all, in the end.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: September 21, 2023, 12:21:07 am »

I enjoyed Rimworld for a while.  It's sort of like Dwarf Fortress.  But it has massive problems.

1) Enemy attacks are proportional to your 'wealth' (and by the way, traps increase your wealth, so placing traps just encourages raids; and by default they cost precious resources and cannot be reset).  The result is that pods shoot through your roof, or giant mecha caterpillars that you can barely harm nest near you.  You can kill these things, but...   hmmm.  Maybe the endgame strategy is just to mass artillery and wipe everything in one volley of HE?  I have no idea.  I tend to like more complex games.
2) You spend 90% of your time worrying how clean the floor is.  My first playthrough, everyone vomited to death because the floor was not clean enough.  It's really weird.  Less of a "Hey, let's try this neat strategy" game and more of a "If the majority of your brain is not engaged with cleaning floors, why did you even buy this" game.
3) Basically, you can never have enough of anything.  If you have enough, you get raided.  If you don't, you starve.  But that's the early game...  eventually you just get raided anyway.  Which is fine, but, unlike DF, you have at most ~10 people and all of them are combatants.  So any raid risks killing your top-skilled person in whatever who you've spent 5 years training.

It just comes off to me as a knockoff of DF with better graphics, but literally no depth.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: September 21, 2023, 09:30:55 am »

but literally no depth.

In my opinion, the big leg up Rimworld has over dwarf fortress are the fights. Being able to control your gunmen precisely like an RTS allows combat to be a lot more tactical than dwarf fortress. I think it also helps that I'm not so good that I can just turtle up and let traps and kill corridors do all the work. Every time a fight happens, it feels like I'm in a western shootout and I always find them memorable for that reason.

Dwarf fortress has never given me a fight like this for example:

So, I don't know the best place to post Rimworld stories, but I had a pretty exciting battle that I had to talk about somewhere.

So I wouldn't say it has no depth. How much it does have, I wouldn't know. I never climb the tech tree far enough before starting a new colony.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #4108 on: September 21, 2023, 09:48:58 am »

IMO, the place Rimworld shines, as far as depth goes, is in the sheer volume and type of mods available.
Want to build a Mott and Bailey castle? There's a mod for that, Medieval Overhaul, among several others.
How about a colony on Mars? Mod for that too, MarsX (though it's no longer maintained).
Latest big mod addition? Tanks and Planes.
Generally just want MOAR? Vanilla Extended and all it's submods.

I would venture that Cassandra is too punishing for trying to build a many-year colony, and that Rimworld in general is best suited to generate short stories, and not novels.

As for that dirtiness of the floor? That sounds like either an early version of the game, or a bug. Yes, dirty floors, particularly in the kitchen, can be an issue. But other than the malus provided to making meals, dirt is overcome with things like better environments, e.g. littering the place with small and large statues.
If you're just not interested in keeping the floor in the kitchen clean, then grab a mod :)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: September 21, 2023, 11:35:31 am »

I enjoyed Rimworld for a while.  It's sort of like Dwarf Fortress.  But it has massive problems.

[...]

It just comes off to me as a knockoff of DF with better graphics, but literally no depth.

A lot of the charm in Rimworld (in my opinion, at any rate) is that you're dealing with a much smaller group of colonists / survivors than with DF. Since it's normally such a process to get new pawns (knock them from a raid, heal them up, then indoctrinate them as prisoners) you really feel for each and every one of them - you don't just have the swarms of mostly nameless and faceless peasants / elite soapmakers / etc.

It's this connection to your individual pawns that makes the game so special. As you mention (as your negative #3), it hurts when a colonist you've been following for years gets injured or killed. But then you persevere under pressure, and maybe someone steps up and saves the day... or maybe it all ends in fire. But that's !!FUN!! too, just like in DF.

As far as your point #2 ... I'll admit that it doesn't track with my experience of the game at all. Are you doing something silly like having your kitchen, butcher table, and surgery room all next to each other? Generally speaking, just having one person who has a slightly higher priority on cleaning/hauling is enough to keep things tidy.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 11:41:37 am by AlStar »
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 280