Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856524 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #4065 on: August 09, 2023, 03:41:50 pm »

Holy Hell, this is mindblowing. It's still in an early beta, but this is a concept with a lot of potential. Never thought modders would be able to create something so ambitious.

You could make this the signature feature of a Rimworld sequel if Tynan wanted to take the game in that direction.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: August 09, 2023, 04:46:11 pm »

now imagine if the map wouldnt be in tiles but one continuous map... i.e. a la CDDA

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: August 10, 2023, 05:05:38 am »

OK, does anyone have any idea what's causing my cook's meals to come out 50-75% tainted? His stats show a 0.5% chance of tainting meals, the kitchen is at 0 dirtiness (And the message keeps saying it's an incompetent cook causing it). I can't think of any other factors that cause meals to be tainted, but here it is, ceaseless "X has caught food poisoning (Cause: Incompetent chef)"
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: August 10, 2023, 08:01:51 am »

Seems tainted food can "spread" to other food when put in the same stack. another chance would be tracked blood and contaminants in the storage area

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: August 10, 2023, 08:09:25 am »

My experience is that typically any cook with a level lower than 6 or 7 can cause it.  If you have a multi-meal cook job (I do, idk if its a mod or vanilla though), such as 'cook 10x meal' then if one meal is bad they all are.  Stockpiles stuff laying on the floor contributes to uncleanliness as well as any blood or trash nearby

0.5% sounds really low, maybe its a multiplier added to some very harsh numbers that make it balance out.  I do know that all of your colonists probably have a number similarly low.

Pemmican cant taint, and berries/agave/etc can be safely eaten raw.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: August 10, 2023, 09:12:53 am »

Nope, I checked. Like I said, the room's 100% clean (Got a room checker, gives you all the stats of the room you're hovering over) and the 0.5% chance is the final value.

All I can think of is if pemmican can taint anything it's stacked with, in which case it could be that there was a tainted batch and every time more was added to the stack that got tainted too.

But yeah, going away from the usual 'tech order' is good. The main risk is that if you have a particularly bloated modlist you may have trouble researching individual items of interest.
Nice thing about the mod I have is that you can have completely random techs, adjust the number of techs, or have it based on pop size. Makes it so that you can adjust based on preferences and if you've got five million mods you can bump the number up from the standard 3 to 5 or something to prevent the research problems you mentioned.

There's even settings to limit which techs you can research (starter tech level, starter tech level +1) if you're wanting that, or make it so you have to fill out all the techs at one level before you can move onto the next.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: August 10, 2023, 03:59:57 pm »

I generally do single meals until the cook is high leveled - doing multiple meals at the same time will result in all those meals being tainted. Having 1 guy sick is doable, 4 guys sick can end your colony.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: August 11, 2023, 01:14:00 am »

See, it wasn't like that. It was a solid week of having one to four guys with food poisoning. Either I'd run into some absolutely insane bad luck or there was something else up with it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: August 11, 2023, 01:37:43 am »

The kitchen can get very dirty temporarily if 1) After battles blood/dirt often get tracked in all over the kitchen, 2) Your cook got sick for whatever reason and started vomiting everywhere while actively cooking (bonus points if he got sick from food poisoning). Note that there are quite a lot of things that can trigger vomiting, 3) If your butcher is in the same room as your stove the blood from butchery can make the room dirty.
#1 is the most likely since after a battle there is typically so many areas that get blood and dirt everywhere and need to be cleaned up that it can be days before the kitchen itself is actually cleaned, especially since battles cause all other kinds of delays and slowdowns (eg. repairs, transporting the bodies, changing equipment loadouts, people needing medical care, injuries making them slower, ect).
If you get extended food poisoning #2 is a big concern and can snowball since your chef will be sick vomiting everywhere while cooking the next batch of meals.

So while sure, your kitchen is clean *now*, but that doesn't mean it was clean specifically when those stacks of meals were made.
---
Also on a slightly different note sterile tile is a pretty significant bonus to cleanliness, and well worth the investment for a small kitchen. If you don't have it researched then steel tiles are a solid second best.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: August 11, 2023, 06:08:10 am »

Might be a good idea to invest in a nutrient paste dispenser, at least temporarily, while you halt meal production and dispose of any suspect meals (pawn them off onto a caravan or something). Your pawns won't enjoy the paste, but it is completely safe from poisoning and uses raw food more efficiently than meal prep - not a minor consideration when pawns are vomiting and need extra food. Use that until the situation stabilizes, then either dismantle the dispenser or shut it off for a future emergency.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: August 11, 2023, 07:25:32 am »

The kitchen was clean the whole time and the message was mentioning the chef causing it rather than a dirty room. Don't know if that message is vanilla or not, but every time it said that it was caused by an incompetent cook. And they were the sole person with cooking on the work tab.

I'm always checking on the kitchen, even with dedicated cleaners it'll get dirty half the time so I'll usually send the chef to give it a clean if it's not.

Might be a good idea to invest in a nutrient paste dispenser, at least temporarily, while you halt meal production and dispose of any suspect meals (pawn them off onto a caravan or something). Your pawns won't enjoy the paste, but it is completely safe from poisoning and uses raw food more efficiently than meal prep - not a minor consideration when pawns are vomiting and need extra food. Use that until the situation stabilizes, then either dismantle the dispenser or shut it off for a future emergency.
Playing tribals, so no nutrient paste unfortunately.

The issue wound up resolving after a while anyways, the only thing I can think of is some sort of same-stack cross contamination if there's nothing else that could be causing it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: August 11, 2023, 10:31:06 am »

Even just raw meat is better than eating contaminated meals.

Cleaning in general is a pain.  Usually I just have whoever is close at hand do it, and set any slaves to do it if they run out of stuff to do.  Straw matting is crazy flammable, and ugly, but not having to clean high traffic areas is great
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 10:33:52 am by pisskop »
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: August 11, 2023, 02:26:33 pm »

No good for kitchens though, it's got inherent uncleanliness.

Also the rate for poisoning is 2% for raw food, so as long as you're below that you should be better off cooking.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: August 11, 2023, 06:20:26 pm »

I hope you find the culprit.  Usually if something keeps going wrong, even something like taming an animal, I stop for a day and try to change something about my setup.  Ill kill some excess domestic stock or Ill do a reorganization of my kitchen, or Ill use the chance to upgrade the facilities.  I prefer playing Neolithic myself, but I've accepted that guns just beat spears and tech is more fun when you have to get it the hard way.  I also really like the idea of a disjointed colony, with individual huts for the colonists and walls as a deterrent, not a first defense.

Spoiler: pic of Landing Zone (click to show/hide)

Speaking of my own playthrough.  Started a new campaign.  The idea is to slowly migrate south... or east, Im in the Mid-Northwest, a short week's hike from the ice cap.  To the north are mostly peaceful neighbors, including the fallen empire, who I dont plan to use.  To the far south is cannibals and waster cannibals and some nasty modded civs.  And badlands.  To the far east is a lot of jungle and scarcely populated settlements.

Its been half-a-year, and while the cold bog was great for farming and animals, it was pretty slow moving and my chosen barracks location was poorly suited for long-term defense.  So we took off after converting and recruiting and enslaving a few people, taming some animals (boomalope, horse, chicken, and muffalo) and pulling in the summer crops.  I originally wanted to spend at least a year at each location I stopped at, but I started running out of excuses not to leave.

This landing zone reminds me of 2d Dwarf.  Youve got a road running along the majority of the north, cutting south towards the west end.  A river runs through the middle of the map.  To the east is a naturally enclosed valley, and while I kind of wish there was a proper mountain back there there are still some very large hills, and the southeast is all mountain.  I like it, might try to make it work long term.

The goal of the campaign is to slowly crawl up the tech tree, at the painful, unmodified neolithic rate.  I have the religion I plan to loosely guide my conduct, and of course my own beliefs about fun.  I dont plan to reload, games like this lose a lot of charm if you just erase every marginally bad thing that happens.

Still, getting the caravan loaded up with everything and over here was nothing short of a nightmare.  I reloaded 3 times because the first took more than 3 days to leave and I find that to be bullcrap. Its amazing how janky the caravaning system for the game is.  The slaves I have a mostly varying degrees of garbage, but the colonists are pretty good.  I randomed 'prepare carefully' and made a few changes to the result.  The slaves actually found themselves in my armory together at the old base and grabbed a bunch of bows, show the toes off a few of my boys.  As per the religion as my guide, they were beaten but servitude to pay off their debts is more fitting than death.
PKs DF Mod!

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #4079 on: August 12, 2023, 12:00:30 pm »

Pulled off a landed ship evac. I've never managed it before, always had to do it the hard(er) way of building one myself.
Never managed to get the gear together in time to do a landed one, as they're always on the far side of the map, spawn pretty early on, and only a bit over 20 days to arrive at them.
Generated a no factions map. Rushed for transport pods, and did four full-range hops to get to the ship in time. Initially thought it would only take 3 hops, but I misjudged. Good thing every area spawns a couple component clusters and plenty of steel.
Game threw a lot of manhunters at me instead of raids, but part of my rush included sentry turrets (Vanilla Extended?), so I just had to set up a bunker behind a dozen or so rows of barbed wire (also VE).
Almost screwed myself though, as I had started deconstructing some of the excess pods (comes with something like 14?) and almost deconned the forward structure connecting to the sensor suite :o
The loop consisted of building a hut for 4 (one of starter tribals had luci addiction, so left behind), building the launchers and pods, building a generator and biofuel refiner, and then loading everything up. Most of the jumps had some spare steel and enough components for another jump. Made sure that the spots I chose weren't mountain, so that there would be plenty of forageable berries after the initial fine meals ran out.

I guess I've finally finished Vanilla gameplay. I suppose I either have to figure out a total conversion that I want to play (I'm sure there was a space travel one at some point) or finally shelve Rimworld.

Edit: This was tribal
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 08:13:54 am by n9103 »
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 280