Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856522 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #4050 on: March 14, 2023, 04:25:37 pm »

My present game has gone hard.

First year, mostly standard. One mechanoid toxic spewer, but I just walked past all the turrets and mechitors and destroyed the spewer without engaging (All I had were knives and a lone Lee-Enfield).

Next year: Three raids, back-to-back. Managed to kill them, although there were a couple of lost toes and a missing ear at the end.

Then I got two bouts of 'flu straight after one another. Then sleeping sickness. Then four back-to-back raids. Somehow, in spite of only having one UMP and a Winchester (Ran out of Lee-Enfield ammo) for ranged weapons I proceeded to utterly flatten them. Two of my guys got downed when outnumbered, overall, at least 4-to-1.

Then as an apology, the game gave me three caravans back-to-back.

Randy's feeling like chucking the same event at me several times in a row I think.

When you've got mods to handle the mods you know you have to many mods.
I have submods for submods of other mods. It's a sickness and I love it.

I'm also the guy who will spend 6 hours modding skyrim and then play for 2 hours. I sometimes think I enjoy the modding more than the game.
I know I say this on a semi-regular basis, but I did love the Minecraft server you ran where we had to do community goals to unlock new mods while living together in a town. It'd honestly be kinda cool if there was a modpack that was able to emulate that in multiplayer.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4051 on: March 15, 2023, 09:50:43 am »

I know I say this on a semi-regular basis, but I did love the Minecraft server you ran where we had to do community goals to unlock new mods while living together in a town. It'd honestly be kinda cool if there was a modpack that was able to emulate that in multiplayer.
Oh man, those were good times. I wish it had worked out better but what we did play I had a lot of fun with.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: March 16, 2023, 03:24:40 am »

Oh man, those were good times. I wish it had worked out better but what we did play I had a lot of fun with.
Yup. "Oh, Forsaken is starting a new server? Time to dust off minecraft" was my usual response

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: April 16, 2023, 01:26:01 pm »

I've chosen to play on a skerry, courtesy of the Geological Landforms mod.

Basically an island, the only access is the southern shallow sea (Every island landform has some access to allow for raids and such) and the majority of the ground is rock rather than dirt. I can't leave the tile without either a shuttle or drop pods. The intent is to eventually pack everyone up, get some supplies, and reestablish myself on the mainland.

In the meantime, the lack of soil has lead to an interesting situation. See, it still counts as temperate forest and all the animals are spawning. The majority of what little ground there is has been used as farmland so the animals are starving. The instant one of my crops grows to being harvestable there's a mad scramble as every herbivore descends upon the manna that is a single rice plant, followed by the mad scramble from me to massacre every last animal that's trying to eat my crops. The ground has been littered with corpses (Although not for long, my meat and leather industries are thriving) and stained with blood.

We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the field and storeroom. Felix and Lynx and Engie fell there bravely while the rest retreated to the bedrooms. We are still holding...but hope …Thomas's party went five days ago but today only four returned. The blood is up to the wall at the research labs. The megasloth took Thomas--we cannot get out. The end comes soon. We hear moos, moos in the dirt. They are coming.

EDIT: While we're here, does anyone know of any modpacks like the old Arbitration: Realistic Research from a13? It was nice having to advance through the ages, only being able to get to higher tech levels once certain things had been build (A bit like adding more microanalyzers for the various tech levels), tooling up pawns so they could actually do their jobs at a decent pace, locking some buildings behind certain resources etc. etc.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 09:29:12 am by Great Order »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: April 25, 2023, 11:22:44 am »

First I've heard of Arbitration, and that one sounds pretty far-reaching into a bunch of aspects of gameplay. There have been several other mods over the years trying to revamp research, but there's only a few I know of for the current version of the game.

Research Reinvented provides alternatives to the 'put a fellow in front of a desk' method of research, such as taking apart samples or producing prototypes. There's also a submod that adds 'stepping stones' to important techs. By default 'guy at desk' research is still available, though you can tweak the speed to make that method prohibitively slow.

[Og]Research is Difficult places techprint requirements on a small collection of key technologies.

There are some mods with tools out there, but not really an area I've kept up on. The Vanilla Expanded Accessories mod has a basic toolbelt alongside a bunch of other items.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4055 on: April 25, 2023, 01:42:11 pm »

I use a combination of techblock and tech advancing

Tech Advancing sharply scales the cost of technologies that are above your tech level and discounts those below your level, and it will change your tech level when you have met a (configurable) percentage of tech level research.
Techblock inserts tech tree bottlenecks which separate the tech tree ages and makes it harder to jump ahead. It adds a 'theory' and 'understanding' level for each tech level and anything in that level you research normally also applies points towards the theory/understanding which higher levels are gated behind.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: April 26, 2023, 01:21:46 pm »

How well does that scale with having a bunch of mods that add new techs? Because with all the available research options, it takes me aaaaages to actually go through it all even with just vanilla research.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: April 26, 2023, 02:43:35 pm »

Personally, instead of using those mods I just use one of the randomized research mods. Less potential compatibility issues, and effectively slows down the research of critical techs by quite a lot. Pawns Choose Research will semi-randomize it depending on the skills & interests of the researcher, too.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: May 14, 2023, 04:04:08 am »

In my eternal pursuit of turning this game into a space opera Dwarf Fortress, are there any mods that actually add resource processing?

Like rather than mining steel, you have to mine out iron ore and smelt steel?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: May 14, 2023, 10:06:06 am »

Of those that i know of, only Medieval Overhaul (but it's not space opera).
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: May 14, 2023, 10:12:34 am »

In my eternal pursuit of turning this game into a space opera Dwarf Fortress, are there any mods that actually add resource processing?

Like rather than mining steel, you have to mine out iron ore and smelt steel?

Yeah, I have one that does that. It's Expanded Materials - Metals. Note that it does way more than just smelting steel.

There is a lite version, but I don't know what that does since I haven't used it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: May 14, 2023, 03:12:34 pm »

Owlchemist has a few of them, for leather, wood, and steel respectively. I haven't tried them yet, but his mods are usually pretty good and worth a checkout.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1713884017
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1708709952
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1702668415
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: August 08, 2023, 05:35:51 pm »

I've discovered something that really makes the game better. Semi-randomised research.

As standard, it gives you 3 techs to choose from rather than deciding which to research completely. It stops me from just being able to beeline the necessary techs, sometimes I get stuck with agricultural ones with no weapon techs for a while, sometimes I can't preserve food properly for ages, etc.

Messes with my standard planning.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: August 09, 2023, 12:12:44 am »

There's been a few versions of that sort of mod over time; personally I like PawnsChooseResearch as it adds a bit more depth to the researchers you choose.

But yeah, going away from the usual 'tech order' is good. The main risk is that if you have a particularly bloated modlist you may have trouble researching individual items of interest.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: August 09, 2023, 03:16:29 pm »

The Vehicle Framework and Vanilla Expanded Vehicles are here and they're delightful. Motorcycles, cars, tanks, helicopters and planes. PLA Steel Torrent SRTS and Aerocraft Framework  are great but I feel like this really scratched that vehicle itch. Now I'm back to the cycle of waiting for CE to patch it
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 280