Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856298 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3300 on: January 24, 2019, 10:30:26 pm »

Yeah the Rimworld pawns have the same basic style as Prison Architect pawns, but they're still different art assets.  The person in the linked game appears to have put Rimworld's sprites in a locked layer on photoshop, and then drawn a higher res version on top of them.  Two different kinds of copying, not the same at all.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: January 24, 2019, 10:47:46 pm »

If I recall there's a semi-long (and locked) thread on the ludeon forums about Keplerth from 2018, so they're aware of it. If I further recall correctly, that thread said the gameplay of Keplerth (you're controlling just a single character, I think?) is different enough.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: January 25, 2019, 07:39:31 am »

Love, scriver~

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: January 25, 2019, 10:16:29 am »

Yeah the Rimworld pawns have the same basic style as Prison Architect pawns, but they're still different art assets.  The person in the linked game appears to have put Rimworld's sprites in a locked layer on photoshop, and then drawn a higher res version on top of them.  Two different kinds of copying, not the same at all.

How can you tell?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: February 02, 2019, 02:29:20 pm »

I've taken a quick look at this thread and there seems to be no mention of it, but there's a Multiplayer mod for Rimworld now. Here's a video.
I've played it with ~12 simple mods and it worked nicely. 4-5 desyncs in 6 full, straight hours of play. Desyncs can be solved in a minute by letting the mod try to figure it out itself, or even quicker by having the host re-host the game (exit game to menu and host again) or the clients reconnect (exit game to menu and reconnect).

Here's the download page for the Multiplayer Mod.
Here's the installation info for the Multiplayer Mod. Unpack to your /Mods folder, activate and play..that's it.
Here's my collection of mods I'm testing MP with.
I can post my Mod Manager Modlist later for quick sharing/loading of mods. Today I added ~17 more to the list (still untested) but the more mods it support, the cooler it is.

It can support multiple people in a server. This is amazing.
Of course, it's not on Steam workshop yet because it's experimental/early, but it's more stable than some AAA games' multiplayer and took me less time to setup than a modded Minecraft server (a good
modpack one that I decide to tweak usually takes 1-4 hours, this took me 5 minutes).

Note that there's some conflicting info about what works or not in Multiplayer. Some people say that Caravans don't work, but there are videos on Youtube clearly showing a player messing around in another map tile with a caravan while other is playing in their main base. If you're really interested, try it out for yourself first.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: February 26, 2019, 05:07:30 pm »

So v1.0 has been out for a while now.

What modpacks have you all been playing?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: February 26, 2019, 10:28:15 pm »

Hardcore SK hasn't been fully updated, so I ended up making one of my own devising to add a little more !fun! to the game.

This is basically what I run currently though I'm always looking to add more to this list for little fiddly things.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: February 26, 2019, 10:42:28 pm »

Wow, where to begin.  I don't play modpacks, since I mix and match my own.  My current assortment for this game, loosely sorted:

Quality of Life: Minor things that add to the UI, controls, or the like without affecting core gameplay
  • HugsLib: Common libraries for key mods. No gameplay effect on its own, but a key dependency for quite a bit.
  • Faction Discovery: Automatically detects and adds modded factions to existing save games.  I don't have any modded factions in-game, but this lets me add them in the future without forcing me to start a new game.
  • Don't Shave Your Head: Makes certain hairstyles visible even when wearing hats
  • QualityBuilder: Lets you specify a desired minimum quality for constructed furniture. If the result is worse, automatically sets it to deconstruct and reconstruct.
  • Fluffy Mod: Pharmacist: Improves medicine selection for treatment based on the ailment and skill level
  • Fluffy Mod: Research Tree: Improved research tree display. Useful if you have loads of research junk.
  • Fluffy Mod: Medical Tab: Comprehensive medical overview tab for all colonists
  • Fluffy Mod: Animal tab: Improves the animal display. Mostly integrated into vanilla, but still allows sorting, filtering, animal renaming, assorted details, and mass butchering
  • Fluffy Mod: Work tab: Extends priority settings for colonists: sub-categories for vanilla work types, more priority levels, etc.
  • Fluffy Mod: Relations Tab: Replaces faction tab with a relationship web display for internal pawn relationships and external faction relationships
  • Fluffy Mod: Mod Manager: ...because with this many mods, a better mod manager is a must. Separates all/active mod lists, allows backups of Steam mods locally, allows saving and loading different mod lists
  • Faction Control: Lets you manually configure worldgen settings for factions: number of factions, types of factions, numbers of bases, clustering of bases, etc.
Stuff packs: More, bigger, better, badder stuff
  • Rimsenal Rimhair, Spoon's Hair Mod, Xeva's Rimhair: Good hair, bad hair, I'm the one with the comb.
  • ED-Embrasures: Adds embrasures to the game - impassable walls that permit shooting through. If I recall, it's now redundant since Combat Extended updated; I just forgot to clean it up.
  • ED-Laser Drill: Make your own steam vents, or clean up ones that already exist
  • RT Power Switch: Adds a researchable function to power switches to automatically activate/deactivate based on power availability on either side. Good for cutting in emergency power racks
  • RT Fuse: Adds two types of fuses (primitive burn-outs and advanced breakers) that can be built to trigger in the event of Zrrt
  • Glass + Lights: Adds glass for windows, lights, and decoration
  • Ushanka!: Because Apparello is a sometimes food, but I really love fluffy hats
  • Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion, Hardcore Edition: Adds in prosthetics, bionics, and various surgeries both cosmetic and otherwise. Hardcore makes parts a bit more expensive than the regular version. Not as extensive as EPOE, but that's not a bad thing to me.
  • A Dog Said: Animal prosthetics and surgery. Because Fifi deserves that bionic leg.
  • Centralized Climate Control: Central heating for those extra-cold biomes, including air ducts (which you need to have; they duct air and stuff). Instead of space heaters everywhere, set up outdoors air intakes, some external temperature control devices, and run those air ducts to wall-mounted vents in the rooms.
  • Rimatomics: Because the old RTG mods never got updated, I went all the way to nuclear reactors.
  • Fish Industry: Enables fishing and associated cooking recipes
  • RimFridge: Adds refrigerators as furniture. I'll probably remove it next pass, since I still tend to use refrigerator rooms by habit
  • Alpha Animals: Trying it out. Adds 30 new animals to the game, including all sorts of spiders.
  • Misc Training: Adds new joy items that train various skills.
  • Vegetable Garden: Adds all sorts of crops and kitchen goods, including the true ambrosia: tea. Additional modules for gardening tools (smaller sun lamps, fertilizer), new drinks, even more recipes, and fabrics.
  • More Floors: Additional decorative floors
  • Additional Joy Objects: Adds assorted joy objects, including video games. Trying it out based on the old mod, but it's missing what I loved most: book writing and reading.
Gameplay revamps: We can rebuild it. We have the technology.
  • Fluffy Mod: Colony Manager: Adds new manager work type, allowing you to specify automatic designations for hunting, forestry, livestock, etc.
  • Fluffy Breakdowns: Replaces breakdowns (requiring components to repair) with regular maintenance jobs. Breakdowns now only occur if maintenance is not done regularly.
  • EdB Prepare Carefully: Lets you customize starting pawns.
  • Hospitality: Adds abilities to improve relationships with visiting factions, sell items, and even recruit guests (at the cost of irritating their original home)
  • Combat Extended: Revamps combat, including the addition of ammunition requirements and increased lethality of gunfights. Probably a rare taste, based on the earlier conversation on the mod
  • Psychology: Completely overhauls the social system: extended personality traits, sexuality, romance, fidelity, mental breaks, and mayors.
  • Psychology Imprisonment Patch: Removes the permanent social penalty from imprisoning and recruiting an enemy. Probably unfair, but I'm me, and it is a traditional method of base expansion.
  • Dub's Bad Hygiene: Because what good is future without toilets? Adds bladder and hygiene needs, furniture to handle them. Also adds some optional water-based heating systems, outdoor sprinkers, and the like which I haven't experimented as much with. I also run it with the optional/beta thirst system, which makes things even trickier.
  • Improved Infestation: Hives now send out manhunters instead of more hives. Whee.
  • DeepRim: The closest you'll get to Z-levels in Rimworld. Lets you generate and explore underground maps for additional mining mayhem.
  • Extended Storage: Adds new storage furniture with multi-stack and auto-sort abilities.
  • Crash landing: Instead of dropping down on a planet in escape pods loaded with supplies, you drop on the planet in escape pods loaded with supplies...followed by the rest of your ship.  Adds a new start and random event where a ship will crash-land on your map.
  • T's Mods: Expanded Cloth: Converts cotton to producing fiber which must be processed. Mostly added for another mod:
  • T's Mods: MoreBedsCloth: Makes beds require cloth to produce. Also adds beds in a whole variety of colors. Makes those naked starts far more difficult early on, and otherwise probably a bit of busy-work if you aren't into that.
  • Impassible Chest-deep Water: Makes chest-deep water impassible, and makes shallow water far harder to walk across. Bridges are far more important, and fording rivers is not nearly as trivial anymore.
EDIT: Also, thank you for your own list, Astral. I'd completely forgotten to check if SeedsPlus updated; I should add it back in now that it has.  Some of the other stuff in it also looks quite interesting.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 10:51:49 pm by Culise »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: February 27, 2019, 12:06:56 am »

Lesse, holy crap I have 6 pages of mods on the workshop alone?  Maybe I'll just mention the important ones.

Hugslib because it's essential for most mods  Modcheck because it's essential for....something forget what. Alien framework because races.

Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Animals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Structures (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cosmetic (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 12:10:40 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: February 27, 2019, 02:02:09 am »

Lesse, holy crap I have 6 pages of mods on the workshop alone?
How long does it take to launch and load a save?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #3310 on: February 27, 2019, 03:58:42 am »

Hardcore SK hasn't been fully updated, so I ended up making one of my own devising to add a little more !fun! to the game.

This is basically what I run currently though I'm always looking to add more to this list for little fiddly things.
I'm still finding HSK stable enough on 1.0 dev personally. I'll try yours though later, looks good

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: February 27, 2019, 04:09:27 am »

Lesse, holy crap I have 6 pages of mods on the workshop alone?
How long does it take to launch and load a save?
About a full minute to launch the game.  Loading a save only takes about 10 seconds after.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: February 28, 2019, 09:00:41 pm »

Prisoner Arena is my new favorite mod. You can force prisoners to fight for the amusement of your cheering colonists. I'm envisioning morning services in the sleepy cult town concluding with ritual combat between prisoners where the loser is then sacrificed.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: February 28, 2019, 09:19:34 pm »

I knew I was missing something - added Centralized Climate Control and QualityBuilder, two nice QOL mods I had forgotten about (especially the later from a micromanagement standpoint - I'm going to be doing it anyway, just takes some of the repetitiveness out of doing so).

Even though I use fridge rooms for mass storage, RimFridge is nice for having a stack of perishable meals in the dining room for easy access (and for storing ingredients right next to the cooking station without a temperature penalty). One of my must-haves.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: February 28, 2019, 09:29:16 pm »

I don't really have "modpacks", but I do keep the Star Wars mods around. Factions, lightsabers & Force powers, a couple of different races and a Star Wars fauna pack.

Psychology is perma-installed. So is Faction Control and Alpha Animals. A few other species mods, I try to avoid anything OP. Prepare Carefully. Doormats (to help keep dirt out). A mod that allows colonists to quickly finish off downed animals (or people) instead of beating on them for several hours. Mostly QoL stuff that makes minor under-the-hood improvements.

I've given Medieval Times a go, it's a great way to fill in the gap between Tribal and Modern tech levels and adds tons of weapons, armor, and crafting stations. Some of it is unfortunately a bit busted stats-wise. I get the feeling you're supposed to use it in conjunction with Faction Control and just use primitive factions.

I still need to fire up the various Lovecraftian mods.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 280