Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856249 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3315 on: March 11, 2019, 12:57:06 am »

Despite my best judgement started reading prisoner bios again.

"Oh so you're a 15 year old fast learner whose an optimist despite having spent your childhood in a hospital with a rare disease? Well that explains where the passion for science and medicine came from. Is that your gun there beside you? I guess when the transport touched down and five heavily armed and armored men opened fire with machine guns, grenade launchers, flame throwers, and high caliber sniper rifles you charged in heedless of danger with a pistol and a t-shirt. Oh looks like you were ballistically lobotomized by a hunk of grenade shrapnel, guess that career in science is over, also any hope of ever having friends. Ah, I can see in the log that you actually stayed on your feet after a chunk of your brain was destroyed and you were then set on fire where you collapsed and continued to burn for about two hours until the rain put you out and then laid there in the rain all night while your conquerors slept in your beds, ate your food, and went around executing your neighbors.

Why did we do it? Oh well your outlander faction didn't instantly want to be friends with the bloodthirsty mercenaries from another world and we wanted to test out our new bionics."

I have to ease up on the bastardry for a little while, pet some puppies, plant some trees, stop making the prisoners chop up prisoners to feed to prisoners etc.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: March 11, 2019, 01:47:04 pm »

Despite my best judgement started reading prisoner bios again.

"Oh so you're a 15 year old fast learner whose an optimist despite having spent your childhood in a hospital with a rare disease? Well that explains where the passion for science and medicine came from. Is that your gun there beside you? I guess when the transport touched down and five heavily armed and armored men opened fire with machine guns, grenade launchers, flame throwers, and high caliber sniper rifles you charged in heedless of danger with a pistol and a t-shirt. Oh looks like you were ballistically lobotomized by a hunk of grenade shrapnel, guess that career in science is over, also any hope of ever having friends. Ah, I can see in the log that you actually stayed on your feet after a chunk of your brain was destroyed and you were then set on fire where you collapsed and continued to burn for about two hours until the rain put you out and then laid there in the rain all night while your conquerors slept in your beds, ate your food, and went around executing your neighbors.

Why did we do it? Oh well your outlander faction didn't instantly want to be friends with the bloodthirsty mercenaries from another world and we wanted to test out our new bionics."

I have to ease up on the bastardry for a little while, pet some puppies, plant some trees, stop making the prisoners chop up prisoners to feed to prisoners etc.
Oh. Well then.

After reading this, all of those times I felt good about myself for going on long and risky expeditions to rescue people in danger or capturing enemies instead of killing them... those suddenly don't seem to outweigh all the times I just let people burn to death or shot fleeing enemies full of holes instead of letting them go.

Oof.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: March 11, 2019, 03:36:53 pm »

Yeah I joked about forced cannibalism but really harvesting organs, making people into hats, and all the other memetic cruelty is easy to get past because your goal is clearly evil and barbarity. What really gives me pause is the things I do when I'm not trying to be evil.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: March 11, 2019, 04:12:54 pm »

This seems like as good a time as any to bring up something that bugs me about Rimworld, and that's dealing with the aftermath of an attack.

Let's say you just drove off a raid. You have several dead raiders, and maybe a couple of them with relatively minor wounds that can be treated. But then you have one or two raiders that are clearly on their way out. Massive bleeding, damaged vital organs, missing chunks of torso - whatever the reason, these guys will probably die before they can get medical help, and even if they don't there's a better than even chance they'll die in bed. Some might survive treatment, but be so entirely damaged that they'll never move around on their own short of a bionic spine or some such thing.

What is the best response? If you take them prisoner and they die, your colonists' moods will suffer because you let them die in your care (even if you did everything humanly possible). If you mercy kill them, moods are still negatively affected. It isn't quite as bad, but it's still a penalty when all you're doing is giving a person that intended to kill you a clean and relatively painless end.

No, the best solution (from a purely gameplay perspective) is...to leave the wounded raiders writing on the ground, possibly in the freezing cold or blazing sun, until they die in agony. Your colonists will not suffer a single negative moodlet from this, other than the minor one from witnessing an unburied corpse. Heck, you can (and in survival situations, should!) strip them of their clothing before they finally stop breathing so you can use it for your colony.

It's a really weird disconnect for me. I'm not saying everyone in the colony should suffer mood penalties from not tending to wounded attackers (maybe just the ones with Bleeding Heart traits) because, after all, they did just attack you. You might be too busy saving your own people to deal with surviving raiders. But mercy killing really shouldn't be penalized. It turns what could conceivably be a good act into one that your own colonists will despise. But standing around and watching someone with three bullets in their gut squirm in pain for hours is somehow totally okay.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: March 11, 2019, 04:57:25 pm »

It's a really weird disconnect for me. I'm not saying everyone in the colony should suffer mood penalties from not tending to wounded attackers (maybe just the ones with Bleeding Heart traits) because, after all, they did just attack you. You might be too busy saving your own people to deal with surviving raiders. But mercy killing really shouldn't be penalized. It turns what could conceivably be a good act into one that your own colonists will despise. But standing around and watching someone with three bullets in their gut squirm in pain for hours is somehow totally okay.

I'd love to see some sort of triage where you can set what sort of bleed out time you'd count as a mortal wound and forbid your colonists from caring about, or trying to save, anyone below that cutoff (presumably once diagnosed.)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: March 11, 2019, 04:58:57 pm »

-snip-
You bring up a really good point, and this is an aspect I wish had been given more attention. The Psychology mod, for all of the cool things it does to flesh out colonist relationships and personalities, doesn't seem to give them differing views on violence and death (as far as I've seen, anyway). While we already have colonists with special traits that make them not care about death (psychopath) and backgrounds that make them refuse to participate in any form of violence, it would be super neat to have certain colonists be okay with killing when threatened while others dislike it but agree that it's necessary. Even more interesting would be different views toward the treatment of deceased enemies; a difference in opinion between a colonist who thinks their attackers deserve to rot vs. one who thinks they should be properly buried could become yet another system you have to engage with rather than just shooting everyone and calling it a day.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: March 11, 2019, 05:54:30 pm »

I'd wager 90% of the time I have the "innocent prisoner died" debuff it's not because the colony failed to keep them safe, or killed them in some inhumane way but because despite the best efforts of the doctors someone failed to survive having most of their blood gone.

And in other news

Is there a word to describe a situation where something inefficient, ugly, and temporary becomes permanent because other things have become dependent on it? If there's not I hereby dub it improperable combining "impromptu" and "inoperable." It's the reason most of my colonies that don't look like shit were made in dev mode. To solve it I

Playing a new base design. I designed out a bunch of 13x13, 7x13, and 7x7 blueprints for workshops, bedrooms, prisons. That way when I started I just needed to keep my construction to rooms of that size on a grid and build organically without my colony turning into an shitshow. Happy with how it came out. Modded to hell. (Could you tell by my helicopter?)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After choppering into a tribal base and slaughtering them with nothing but superior firepower and damn good training I was feeling like a badass. Then when we got home a bunch of weasels went ape shit and fucked up the entire colony. We killed them but thanks to  tiny little armor piercing claws and friendly fire we lost a total of two fingers and a toe on top of both of the skilled doctors passing out from blood loss trying to treat themselves.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 04:12:33 pm by Broseph Stalin »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: March 16, 2019, 10:49:06 am »

There was a mod that showed much more information on the bottom left when selecting a pawn and i cannot remember what was the name, anybody can point me in the right direction?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: March 16, 2019, 11:41:28 am »

Just a quick question. Is there any decent fantasy themed TC mod for this game?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: March 16, 2019, 11:44:38 am »

There rimmagic and one about warhammer i think? not sure. They are not TC tho
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: March 16, 2019, 12:04:53 pm »

There's also some Lord of the Rings mods out there, but I don't believe they're a TC either.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: March 16, 2019, 12:41:40 pm »

On the flip side, the only TC mod I'm aware of is Mars, and that's neither updated nor fantasy. Perhaps combining Medieval Edition and a magic mod is a viable possibility, but I've never tried either mod separately, much less both together.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 12:44:06 pm by Culise »

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: March 16, 2019, 02:06:57 pm »

Perhaps a dumb question but.. what on earth is "TC"?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: March 16, 2019, 02:26:25 pm »

Perhaps a dumb question but.. what on earth is "TC"?
Total conversion. Rimworld doesn't have a lot of total conversion mods.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: March 16, 2019, 02:27:14 pm »

Not a dumb question at all.  It's a "total conversion": basically, extensive changes to the game to change the setting, gameplay, and oftentimes, the subjective feel as well.  So, for instance, turning a sci-fi colony builder into a fantasy settlement or a Mars colony. 

Also, extending on, I poked about the workshop a bit.  If you go with creating your own fantasy pack, Medieval Times might be useful to add on as well.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 280