Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856275 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3285 on: January 21, 2019, 11:06:59 pm »

since it has been done so many times, some guy went and created a way to add races more easily, have a look there https://github.com/RimWorld-CCL-Reborn/AlienRaces/wiki

also this multi version mod support is not really that revolutionary. it's just a version tag to mod so it still requires modder support at each release if the internal changes, it's not a way for mod to negotiated a versioned api for doing their thing.
Oooooo.  I think I saw that at one point but somehow forgot about it.  Thanks for the reminder.

Edit: did not mean to make that a doublepost.  Oh well.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: January 22, 2019, 11:54:27 am »

I advise you to pay attention to the imitator (good quality) - Keplerth - some DF like adventure-mod or Stardew Valley in graphic entourage of Rimworld.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: January 22, 2019, 07:18:28 pm »

I'm comfortable with a very high level of games drawing inspiration from each other, but.  That's not ok.  It looks as if some/all of the art assets were straight up traced from Rimworld.  Like the boar in the trailer video looked identical to what I remember the Rimworld boar looking like, but with red eyes.

Edit: one of the screenshots even has that weird jungle flower that you find in Rimworld's tropical rainforests...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:23:27 pm by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: January 23, 2019, 02:32:57 am »

I'm comfortable with a very high level of games drawing inspiration from each other, but.  That's not ok.  It looks as if some/all of the art assets were straight up traced from Rimworld.  Like the boar in the trailer video looked identical to what I remember the Rimworld boar looking like, but with red eyes.

Edit: one of the screenshots even has that weird jungle flower that you find in Rimworld's tropical rainforests...

Isn't Rimworld pretty much already directly "drawing inspiration" from Prison Architect, graphics-wise?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: January 23, 2019, 03:37:01 am »

Did you look at the game that was just linked? Seems a lot more than just "drawing inspiration", haha. RimWorld and Prison Architect have fairly distinct styles at least.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: January 23, 2019, 03:48:12 am »

I think very early on Rimworld literally used Prison Architect assets. Later changed assets but kept the general art style. Might be wrong. Still, if it's the case, this game seems to be doing about the same thing.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: January 23, 2019, 05:51:16 am »

Did you look at the game that was just linked? Seems a lot more than just "drawing inspiration", haha. RimWorld and Prison Architect have fairly distinct styles at least.

they have now, but pawns were initially a lot more close to pa

now I don't mind derivative games in principle, especially if the inspiration is credited; in the end I already have the original so it's up to them to convince me they do the same thing better enough to warrant a new purchase.

edit: fixed some engrish
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:14:40 am by LoSboccacc »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: January 23, 2019, 08:15:05 am »

It was close enough that when I bought RimWorld I originally assumed it was from the Prison Architect people.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: January 23, 2019, 12:00:42 pm »

It's still close enough that when I bought Prison Architect I assumed it was from the same people.

For me it comes down to whether or not he has communicated to Rimworld-people that he is, so to say, "inspired" by them. Then the Rimworld-people can decide to be ok with it or not.

It would've been different if he was making use of Rimworld assets and it was a standard and closed development/alpha. Had that been the case then he could've copied every single asset he needed for all I cared, as long as he licensed or replaced everything before launch. Open Alpha do change things.
Love, scriver~

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: January 23, 2019, 08:44:59 pm »

I recall it being because he talked to the Prison Architect folks and because he's awful at art.

NOTANEDIT:
Quote from: Rummaged up from the original kickstarter
It looks a lot like Prison Architect. What's up with that?

Blame my (Tynan's) lack of art skill - especially with characters. I made the character art you see in the trailer as a stopgap, and borrowed the Prison Architect style because I'm not a good enough artist to develop a new one. They were never intended to be final. With this Kickstarter, we'll be able to get a real artist who can sit down and develop an original style for RimWorld.

I've talked with the original Prison Architect artist, Ryan Sumo, and he's fully supportive of RimWorld. We didn't share any art or code with the PA guys.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: January 24, 2019, 03:36:40 am »

I recall it being because he talked to the Prison Architect folks and because he's awful at art.

NOTANEDIT:
Quote from: Rummaged up from the original kickstarter
It looks a lot like Prison Architect. What's up with that?

Blame my (Tynan's) lack of art skill - especially with characters. I made the character art you see in the trailer as a stopgap, and borrowed the Prison Architect style because I'm not a good enough artist to develop a new one. They were never intended to be final. With this Kickstarter, we'll be able to get a real artist who can sit down and develop an original style for RimWorld.

I've talked with the original Prison Architect artist, Ryan Sumo, and he's fully supportive of RimWorld. We didn't share any art or code with the PA guys.

Maybe somebody should ask the same question of the Keplerth developer then, and settle this

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: January 24, 2019, 07:44:47 am »

No u
Love, scriver~

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3297 on: January 24, 2019, 05:59:41 pm »

maybe its not up to us to help enforce rimworld's legal rights and someone should just inform rimworld's developers and let them pursue it if they care

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: January 24, 2019, 06:13:42 pm »

maybe its not up to us to help enforce rimworld's legal rights and someone should just inform rimworld's developers and let them pursue it if they care

I bet that whoever does this, will be the first person to do it ever and the Rimworld dev will be happy to have exactly one e-mail describing this situation..

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: January 24, 2019, 06:20:19 pm »

I didn't even particularly care to begin with, I'm sure Tynan can fight his own pseudo-legal battles if it comes to that
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 280