Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856305 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3270 on: December 20, 2018, 08:11:01 am »

I've recently started playing a game of Rimworld. So far so good...

...Apart from a nearly lethal heatwave early on, a malaria outbreak which took two of my three colonists out of action for nearly a season (one of whom is my doctor and farmer and the other my hunter, and the remaining colonist couldn't farm, harvest or cook). Meanwhile all my crops were taken by blight, and toxic fallout was wiping out all creatures on the map. When that finally passed, it was late autumn and too cold to grow crops. I had literally just enough food to get an indoor grow zone up and running long enough for a crop harvest.

No one has died yet, so everything's going well so far. This was all Cassandra on Medium difficulty.

Cassandra is actually the most aggressive about wrecking you. Phoebe is going to kick you in the dick but she's in no rush to do it. Randy could kick you in the dick or give you cookies at any moment. Cassandra is going to kick you in the dick on a strict schedule and she's going to do it a little harder each time you prepare yourself for it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: December 20, 2018, 08:48:01 am »

Cassandra is going to kick you in the dick on a strict schedule and she's going to do it a little harder each time you prepare yourself for it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: December 23, 2018, 04:15:53 am »

Double-posting since earlier I decided to dive in and have a go at sorting out my modlist for the new version.
Seems like a few of my main ones haven't been updated, such as combat extended - have its features just been included in the base game, by any chance? I noticed a lot of my old favourites that hadn't been updated have been more-or-less added to vanilla, like 'I Can Fix It' and basic bridges or whatever it's called.

I sure do miss fences, though...   

Edit: ewwwww, they've changed it so that items deteriorate under rooves for some reason. Now I need to find a mod to fix that before all the stuff in my barn/shed area inexplicably breaks.
Also, has medical care been nerfed? It seems to be a lot slower and resulting in far more "0%" results than I remember, though perhaps my doctor is just really shit at her job, like she is at everything else, the stupid bint.   
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 06:59:20 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: December 23, 2018, 09:13:28 am »

Double-posting since earlier I decided to dive in and have a go at sorting out my modlist for the new version.
Seems like a few of my main ones haven't been updated, such as combat extended - have its features just been included in the base game, by any chance? I noticed a lot of my old favourites that hadn't been updated have been more-or-less added to vanilla, like 'I Can Fix It' and basic bridges or whatever it's called.

I sure do miss fences, though...   

Edit: ewwwww, they've changed it so that items deteriorate under rooves for some reason. Now I need to find a mod to fix that before all the stuff in my barn/shed area inexplicably breaks.
Also, has medical care been nerfed? It seems to be a lot slower and resulting in far more "0%" results than I remember, though perhaps my doctor is just really shit at her job, like she is at everything else, the stupid bint.   

Things deteriorate outside under roofs but not indoors. Combat Extended is still being updated, some people are using a development branch but it's apparently rife with issues.

Doctoring has gotten a LOT harder, having a competent doctor is no longer a substitute for having medicine and you're going to want to save some of the good stuff for surgery.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: December 23, 2018, 09:22:03 am »

Weird, not sure why doctoring needed a nerf. There were already infections and horrific surgery mishaps out the wazoo in beta... then again, I was never very good at the game, maybe doctors became OP if you reached the point of having a whole dedicated team of them who you kept out of harm's way as much as possible. :P   

The deterioration change is definitely silly. I still haven't managed to find a mod for that, though my internet hasn't really been working well enough to browse the workshop. I'll have another look tomorrow after work.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: December 23, 2018, 09:31:05 am »

Weird, not sure why doctoring needed a nerf. There were already infections and horrific surgery mishaps out the wazoo in beta... then again, I was never very good at the game, maybe doctors became OP if you reached the point of having a whole dedicated team of them who you kept out of harm's way as much as possible. :P   

The deterioration change is definitely silly. I still haven't managed to find a mod for that, though my internet hasn't really been working well enough to browse the workshop. I'll have another look tomorrow after work.   

I don't think it applies to materials, just items. I'm pretty sure the idea is to stop people from building a few pillars to support a roof over an open field and using that space as their stockpile. With an enclosed building or shelves you should be fine.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: December 23, 2018, 09:36:10 am »

Wood does deteriorate when under a roof w/o walls. But it's slow enough that you can safely ignore it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: December 23, 2018, 02:46:10 pm »

I don't think it applies to materials, just items. I'm pretty sure the idea is to stop people from building a few pillars to support a roof over an open field and using that space as their stockpile. With an enclosed building or shelves you should be fine.
That's the thing, I liked being able to build barns/sheds/whatever like that. In a 1 z-level game with precious little variation in the way of building materials and structures, I'm not sure why they'd want to give you even less options architecturally. Plus the change doesn't make sense from a realism perspective... maybe if you stored something like paper or computer parts or unpackaged perishables in a shed/barn you'd have to worry about them deteriorating, but I imagine most items would come through alright.
They certainly wouldn't deteriorate at the speeds I was noticing last night, with items that were new when I got 'em actually close to disintegrating. O_o   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: December 24, 2018, 07:03:49 pm »

Sheds and barns typically have four walls and a roof, where I'm from anyway.  :P

I'm trying to think of something I wouldn't mind leaving exposed to the elements up here, and I'm drawing a blank. We cover firewood with tarps. Anything fibrous rots, steel rusts, ditto for tools... Plastics are alright, I guess. Anyway, just covering things from the sun alone isn't going to help much, and in some cases would probably make things deteriorate *faster*. Moisture is the real killer, and you really do need walls to keep the water away.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: December 24, 2018, 07:05:22 pm »

Plastic speeds up its decay (hardening and cracking) when exposed to weathering such as the sun or repeated rain exposure.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: January 20, 2019, 06:02:57 pm »

This got an update, allowing for multi-version support so that future versions don't break all your mods completely.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: January 20, 2019, 11:12:20 pm »

Well I suppose that's a sign that I should finally learn how to mod this so I can finally put in my custom race that's been bouncing around in my head for a little over a year.  Biggest thing I was worried about was constantly having to update the darn thing like I eventually gave up on doing with my dwarf fortress dracon mod.

Modding rimworld is easy right?

On another note my current colony has 2 visitors from the hospitality mod basically permanently bedridden from drug withdraw.  One of them gets up now and then, but also has a bad back, meaning they move at literally 1 tile every 5 seconds and eventually collapse from hunger outside my front door, where I gather him back up and put him back in bed so they can try again next day.  The other one just has multiple withdraws rendering them permanently below 20% consciousness.  Anyone know any ways to get rid of these guys that won't anger their factions?  I considered administering them the drugs they need so they can get up and gtfo, but when I set an order for it it warns me that that will anger their faction.

Edit: now that I look closer they are both from the same faction.  I'm suspecting my nearest neighbor is using my colony as a rehab clinic.  "Yea we'll just send them over to that place where that Avali and Ferian married eachother, they are obviously used to dealing with crazy drug addled ideas"
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:19:06 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: January 21, 2019, 04:57:11 am »

Build a few sleeping spots at the edge of the map and make them your only hospitals.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: January 21, 2019, 05:47:50 am »

my custom race

Modding rimworld is easy right?

since it has been done so many times, some guy went and created a way to add races more easily, have a look there https://github.com/RimWorld-CCL-Reborn/AlienRaces/wiki

also this multi version mod support is not really that revolutionary. it's just a version tag to mod so it still requires modder support at each release if the internal changes, it's not a way for mod to negotiated a versioned api for doing their thing.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: January 21, 2019, 11:04:50 pm »

Build a few sleeping spots at the edge of the map and make them your only hospitals.
I did end up getting that idea and it (sorta) worked!  The alcoholic with the bad back eventually successfully left the map.  The other one with the multiple withdraws eventually got the same treatment when she lost one addiction and started pulling the same thing with only one (Wake up withdraw is fierce).  The first time she passed out at the front door I gave her a hospital sleeping spot where according to what my colonists know she lived happily ever after and eventually made it home.

In reality she was eaten by a carnotaurus.  As long as nobody has to start closely examining dinosaur leavings no-one will be the wiser.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 280