Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854242 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1665 on: August 22, 2016, 02:06:02 am »

I like the Rimsenal series. As I said it fills in some of the desperately needed Sci-fi weaponry the game lacks. It also includes a Turret mod and two enemy group mods (none of which are OP)

Vegetable Garden and Industrial Mod are two mods that work very well with other mods.

Misc. Robots, Misc. Mai, and Misc. Incidents are great as well.

Combat realism is a must for me, As Simple As Rack is really nice (1-4 long storage racks/freezers, along with 2-4 tile long double wide ones are really nice to have), EPOE (which is the organ mod Chiefwaffles was speaking of) is good and has a compatibility patch for CR on the CR thread(you do need to dig slightly for CR's latest update though, but the old compatibility patch should work fine), and possibly most importantly, reclaim fabric for dealing with all those junk clothes.

Combat Realism is nice! Its big BIG drawback is that many mods are incompatible with it. Basically if a mod you get adds a weapon, it is incompatible.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: August 22, 2016, 12:02:03 pm »

Ah, that debuff is good at making the player sad.

"A prisoner died of bloodloss just as we got them to the brig! Why did we just let a prisoner die for no reason? We should have exicuted them if we wanted them dead!"
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: August 22, 2016, 03:04:11 pm »

Yeah, this game is more than a bit excessive when it comes to people going berserk and attacking everyone in sight. Sure, people do go crazy and kill people sometimes, but no where near as often as this game wants that narrative to happen.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: August 22, 2016, 03:11:07 pm »

Is berserking that common anymore? I'm mostly seeing people going on binges, hiding in rooms or wandering around in stupor. Anyway, I kind of miss the old temper tantrum spirals in DF.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: August 22, 2016, 04:23:22 pm »

I've seen it happen far more than I'd expect. Maybe...4 or 5 times in a year, so far. Which, given that I have never personally met anyone who has lashed out and tried to kill everyone around them due to hot weather, seems a bit excessive to me.

Also, the AI in this game can be infuriatingly dumb some times. Two colonists got into a fist fight over some insult. Ok, sure. But during the fight a Timber Wolf wandered by and decided to attack one of them. Because they were in a fight, neither would do anything about the wolf. Nor could I draft them to force them to deal with it. So I just lost my Surgeon because they were too busy punching each other to notice the wolf ripping her to shreds!!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: August 22, 2016, 04:29:25 pm »

The issue with Beserking now isn't so much that it is so common...

So much that the issues that cause beserking can just chain to a never ending series of breakings...

For example it being hot or cold while the person's wife died (who might have been assaulting the base.)... It can become impossible to stop them from just breaking over and over again.

---

It would be nice that after someone beserks for a reason... That it lessen the cause... Like if the guy's wife dies and he goes into a rage... that maybe it won't be a -30 moodlet.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: August 22, 2016, 04:37:07 pm »

I think after a break the colonist looses all moodlets that aren't from an ongoing source (seeing a corpse, environmental stuff, etc.) and get a positive "catharsis" moodlet.

...Unless that's only with soft mental breaks, or on low difficulties.
Black lives matter.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: August 22, 2016, 04:46:14 pm »

So, i had this colony, going well really ( heavily modded mind you, not in the easy way but in the content way ). I have 2 trading caravan coming... from 2 different and they hated each other. One was by the guest housing, wich is a barrack and a nice living room, the other group came in... grenade flying, molotov and so on, the place was a god damn wreck. And since they were indoor, guess what, temp went crazy high and i had to dismantle walls to let the temperature drop before eveything burned inside.

On a happy note, man they were shock full of stuff, made my day, sure one faction hated my gut because they lost nearly a full caravan *on my watch*, but i couldnt do anything to stop them!. Just bnring me your worst, ill patch your prisoner and release them, youll like me in no time. Bonus point ill just get even more loot out of you XD.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: August 22, 2016, 06:11:29 pm »

I think after a break the colonist looses all moodlets that aren't from an ongoing source (seeing a corpse, environmental stuff, etc.) and get a positive "catharsis" moodlet.
This is correct, and applies for Berserk too... but only when the mental break expires naturally. If something incapacitates them (such as, you know, people/creatures fighting back against the murderous berserking colonist) they'll retain their mood penalties and won't get the catharsis thought, so they will most likely keep going berserk until their mood improves (which can take a long while), the berserk status expires naturally, or they get themselves killed.

Though wrangling bad moods isn't that much of an issue, in my opinion. Just make sure to minimize sources of bad moods (build bedrooms that aren't coffins, put coolers/freezers in all areas where colonists spend more than a few seconds, etc), ensure colonists get free time off for joy activities (especially those near breaking point) and make beer and fine meals for the mood bonuses that confers. I've only had a handful of colonists go berserk so far, most of which got themselves killed the first thing they did. (Usually by attacking grizzly bears, though there was that one time where one of my colonists killed another berserking colonist with a single punch.)
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: August 22, 2016, 06:20:16 pm »

Contrary to what the visitors seem to believe a dozen fertilized cobra eggs hidden in the corner of a room are not a very good way of thanking someone for their hospitality.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: August 22, 2016, 07:41:34 pm »

This is correct, and applies for Berserk too... but only when the mental break expires naturally. If something incapacitates them (such as, you know, people/creatures fighting back against the murderous berserking colonist) they'll retain their mood penalties and won't get the catharsis thought, so they will most likely keep going berserk until their mood improves (which can take a long while), the berserk status expires naturally, or they get themselves killed.

Though wrangling bad moods isn't that much of an issue, in my opinion. Just make sure to minimize sources of bad moods (build bedrooms that aren't coffins, put coolers/freezers in all areas where colonists spend more than a few seconds, etc), ensure colonists get free time off for joy activities (especially those near breaking point) and make beer and fine meals for the mood bonuses that confers. I've only had a handful of colonists go berserk so far, most of which got themselves killed the first thing they did. (Usually by attacking grizzly bears, though there was that one time where one of my colonists killed another berserking colonist with a single punch.)

Yeah, but the way the game works problems tend to compound themselves. So you get things like my current crop of problems: Volcanic winter hits and has lasted for months. This means food is scarce and solar power does little so food and luxuries (like heating/cooling/tv/etc) are at a premium while we try not to starve. Then you add in stuff like an outbreak of disease, a raid, an eclipse that lasts for days, a rampaging bear, and so on, and you suddenly have not enough people to do the work necessary. So time for breaks becomes difficult to find. And then people die, and everyone has bad thoughts due to friends/lovers/relatives being dead. And seeing dead bodies from raiders. And then people go into berserk cycles that you can't snap them out of, so you're stuck either dealing with a crazy person every few days who gets beat up, put into bed, goes berserk, etc., or letting them die and getting the bad thoughts from that.

It's the snowball effect that gets you when stuff goes from bad to worse. When everything is fine keeping everyone happy is pretty easy. But Rimworld is pretty much specifically about things getting worse and worse, unless you're playing on one of the easier settings. 
Come play Mafia with us!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: August 22, 2016, 10:42:50 pm »

Yeah, but the way the game works problems tend to compound themselves. So you get things like my current crop of problems: Volcanic winter hits and has lasted for months. This means food is scarce and solar power does little so food and luxuries (like heating/cooling/tv/etc) are at a premium while we try not to starve. Then you add in stuff like an outbreak of disease, a raid, an eclipse that lasts for days, a rampaging bear, and so on, and you suddenly have not enough people to do the work necessary. So time for breaks becomes difficult to find. And then people die, and everyone has bad thoughts due to friends/lovers/relatives being dead. And seeing dead bodies from raiders. And then people go into berserk cycles that you can't snap them out of, so you're stuck either dealing with a crazy person every few days who gets beat up, put into bed, goes berserk, etc., or letting them die and getting the bad thoughts from that.

It's the snowball effect that gets you when stuff goes from bad to worse. When everything is fine keeping everyone happy is pretty easy. But Rimworld is pretty much specifically about things getting worse and worse, unless you're playing on one of the easier settings.
Perhaps some sort of scaled positive moodlet during the crisis (and maybe only during the crisis, for balance reasons) to show mechanically that the colonists are steeling themselves for the hard road ahead.

After the crisis it would go away, meaning people would mostly break AFTER the bad things are leaving them alone and their brain leaves Emergency mode, which would be somewhat more realistic. Though I think a soft mental break for pacifist colonists called PANIC that makes them run as far away from the threat as possible at 120% speed would be pretty good too, assuming there was some way to only make it happen during raids (I'm talking to you, Pickle. That corn wasn't worth your life, and it was refrigerated naturally to boot. And yet you DEE DEE DEE GOTTA GET ME CORN right through the militia blockade at the gate and right into 5-6 raiders with shields, knives, smgs, and I think even a charge rifle. Good logic.)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: August 22, 2016, 11:02:15 pm »

There's a reason why the only people that I still have as colonists are psychopaths...the road to my base is paved in so much blood and so many corpses most people break before they get anywhere near me, and the rest flea their comrades. At least I don't have many mental breaks...because that's enforced by at least two turrets in every room. You break, you die. Things the heard easily :P
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: August 23, 2016, 05:03:03 am »

Contrary to what the visitors seem to believe a dozen fertilized cobra eggs hidden in the corner of a room are not a very good way of thanking someone for their hospitality.

This is awesome  :D

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: August 23, 2016, 05:06:38 am »

For example it being hot or cold while the person's wife died (who might have been assaulting the base.)... It can become impossible to stop them from just breaking over and over again.

or your worker roof a hallway before placing the lamps -10 dark everyone supermurders everyone else. frankly is the first thing I modded away. I understand psycho breaking down hard, but normal people?
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 280