Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854233 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1680 on: August 23, 2016, 10:50:38 am »

Yeah, I just had 3 people break down into berserk rages in a single season. It's waaaay too excessive. Depression that often, sure, I can see that. But berserk? That's just not reasonable.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: August 23, 2016, 03:28:17 pm »

The psychology mod seems to help some. I get a lot of compulsive cleaners and dazed walkers now, moreso than berserkers, anyway.

But yes, berserk is far to common in vanilla. It's like running a colony full of clones of the columbine kids.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: August 23, 2016, 03:31:32 pm »

The psychology mod seems to help some. I get a lot of compulsive cleaners and dazed walkers now, moreso than berserkers, anyway.

But yes, berserk is far to common in vanilla. It's like running a colony full of clones of the columbine kids.

I had this one guy, total Korben Dallas Space Marine type, lived through all of it, even through the founder of the colony dying (Shia LeBeouf.) He was awesome, except... Every time he had a break it was like a 90% chance that he would go on a fire starting spree. Literally, he almost burned down that colony maybe 25 times.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: August 23, 2016, 03:45:24 pm »

You know, that's why I think that kind of response should be rare and preferably trait-based. Because having this one really awesome colonist with a bad trait like that can make for great stories. When your doctor, chef, artist, and animal trainer are all as likely to start trying to kill everyone every time they get unhappy as your trigger happy soldier it just makes for a dead colony, not an interesting story.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: August 24, 2016, 04:18:45 am »

How do you create turrets with the Combat Realism mod?

I've researched them, but they're not under the machining table's list, nor the security tab at all. Only approach I can see is to buy turrets.

check the machining table should craft them like furniture now

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: August 24, 2016, 09:03:47 am »

Some of the turrets are broken with my mix of mods, but I'm certain that it's the ones added by more vanilla turrets, and that Combat Realism is the mod breaking them.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: August 24, 2016, 09:09:28 am »

You need to do some research for them.

Also, do you have CR defense?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: August 24, 2016, 09:10:59 am »

Was not aware that that was a thing.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: August 24, 2016, 09:18:45 am »

Yah, CR would break any turrets not meant for it. Everything needs ammo.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: August 24, 2016, 10:09:16 am »

You can add it to the same game, though it may require a bit of developer mode to get them to click into place.

With CR no turret ever shows up under security, save for the mortar. Its just manufacture at a bench than install, or buy from a trader then install.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: August 24, 2016, 02:37:45 pm »

Got back into the game after so long.
Tried playing on Cassandra Challenging and got like 3 raids in a row with 1h of gameplay (maybe I pissed off pirates by rescuing too many people), so a raid with three times my population came in right when everyone was injured, depressed or on berserk. RIP.

Then I played Phoebe Challenging which might be my favorite mode. I did the Rich Loner game start which is cool but feels cheatsy. Got up to 6 people when I had my first Toxic Fallout, and damn..had to slaughter all my 4 trained boars, and cannibalize two Raiders. At that point, raids were life saving since they'd bring in a day or two of food. As a bonus, everybody had malaria, flu, and would go berserk since animals were being slaughtered and people were starving.
When the fallout ended, somehow everyone survived by a notch.. then my Cook died due to infection in a wound he got from a fight with my character..and my own character almost died from infection too.

Still, I think it was the coolest experience I've had with the game. I had zero provisions and preparation, poor defences, and somehow everyone would have survived if I had noticed the cooks infection.  ::)

I so wish Rimworld was more like DF in the sense of more realistic threats. Cassandra spawns way too many things out of thin air, and even though Phoebe makes it more bearable, sometimes it's just not challenging enough. I don't follow development, so it might be heading there and I just don't knkw it. :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: August 29, 2016, 12:24:24 am »

We have a new version, now with drugs. I haven't had time to play it properly, but I immediately found a bunch of Luciferium when digging my first dwarven-style base. I've noticed that there is a high chance of your initial colonists being junkies of one kind or another, too.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: August 29, 2016, 12:45:27 am »

Would be nice if they had added a few more variations on drugs or booze. Ahwell.

Hey, you know what would be really cool to see? procedurally generated weapons, so instead of just "SMLE" it could be "bolt action rifle made out of an assault rifle", even if it was just cosmetic thanks to the rather... simplistic combat system. Because really, its been 3,500+ years years. Someone would have bastardized that sorta thing out into the worlds. Particularly with all the planets that fall back into the stone age for one reason or another in the lore we have gotten.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: August 29, 2016, 12:52:57 am »

We are missing stuff like flintlock muskets too. I imagine those would be a lot easier to make with improvised technology than rifled weapons with a mechanical lock.

Wonder why the main branch still doesn't have robots? Cleaning and hauling robots are such an obvious addition to the game.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: August 29, 2016, 01:18:06 am »

It does. none friendly though.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 280