Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854696 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1245 on: July 11, 2016, 10:31:25 am »

They released a teaser for alpha 14. Does anyone else notice the colonist bar at the top? Is that in the game by default now or is he playing his own demonstration using mods?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: July 15, 2016, 05:11:01 pm »

I'm not sure if this is news, but the game's out on Steam and here's the page to get your key.
Already downloaded the game through there. Thanks God, I can't keep up with all the updates of things I like without this service that if ever goes down, I'm completely screwed.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: July 15, 2016, 05:15:36 pm »

Might want to keep auto-updating off if you're using mods, I guess.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: July 15, 2016, 07:03:55 pm »

Rimworld dosent exactly have overly rapid updates though... Nor does it sometimes decide to do strange things like require you to have internet to first log on steam to play it or other less friendly things.

Also, we had just been talking about it showing on Steam a grand total of... two posts before yours. So, not news, no.[/spoiler]

of course, I am of the opinion that the less steam can be used, the better. But, hey, atleast they have some small element of customer service now.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

nate9090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: July 15, 2016, 07:04:36 pm »

Seems the workshop is already populating with scenarios and mods pretty quickly.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: July 15, 2016, 07:26:22 pm »

Seems the workshop is already populating with scenarios and mods pretty quickly.

That's wonderful when I first got it it wasn't even enabled.

Can't wait for the combat overahul to get there. Is the cybernetic mod still developed? There has been high abandonement since .13 of modders because of the continuing api changes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 15, 2016, 07:37:14 pm »

Combat Realism was abandoned by the original developer.  It may have been picked up by another though.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 15, 2016, 08:04:55 pm »

The expanded prothetics mod(which I think is what you are talking about) is still being worked on.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 16, 2016, 07:23:45 am »

Hmm, looks like the website's gone down (internal server error).  Possibly too much demand, possibly something else - either way, no Steam version for me right now.  :(
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 16, 2016, 07:35:36 am »

I had the same problem with the getmygame page, after like 4 or 5 times of reloading I got the key.
Keep pushing that F5.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 16, 2016, 08:36:24 am »

This game is sufficiently interesting to someone that has played DF for almost 10 years? I like the setting, and I obviously like DF, but I think the price a bit steep. Some review in steam said it is not worth it if you play DF.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1256 on: July 16, 2016, 08:41:33 am »

This game is sufficiently interesting to someone that has played DF for almost 10 years? I like the setting, and I obviously like DF, but I think the price a bit steep. Some review in steam said it is not worth it if you play DF.
Watch a few videos of gameplay on youtube, decide for yourself. The steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive and I think you can tell here that many DF players enjoy it.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: July 16, 2016, 08:52:26 am »

Watch a few videos of gameplay on youtube, decide for yourself. The steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive and I think you can tell here that many DF players enjoy it.

Most of the reviewers never played or know about Dwarf Fortress. Anything with a fraction of DF content would impress most people, i guess. But I will watch some lets plays, good suggestion.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1258 on: July 16, 2016, 09:04:12 am »

Most of the reviewers never played or know about Dwarf Fortress. Anything with a fraction of DF content would impress most people, i guess. But I will watch some lets plays, good suggestion.
Alright, well the game is much more focused on individuals than DF. You'll get romances and little stories among family members, it's a big deal when you lose one of your colonists. Having 10 colonists in good health is actually fairly difficult to do. Dwarf Fortress right now is actually pretty easy, dare I say it, once you have learned the interface and basics. You can feed a fort of 40 from a 7x7 plot of farmland indefinitely and if you put up a few walls you're safe from anything coming in. This is mostly because the game is unfinished and doesn't have sappers or ways to break walls.

Rimworld has those things, plus artillery that raiders will use to shell your base. Some pirates may come in, smash your solar panels, steal some stuff and then leave without caring if they kill your well defended people. I've had them run in and just set a bunch of fires and kidnap a colonist before retreating. The game feels more like a game than the ant farm simulator which DF is. And that is not a bad thing on DF's part, they're just games with a very different focus. Rimworld is much more focused on tactical choices and individual colonists. You'll rarely have a colony of more than 10-15 people unless you're very good and/or using some mods.

Also the event system can be... brutal. I once got a series of events that shut down all my defenses and struck half my population with disease just before a massive raid of tribals.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 16, 2016, 09:19:14 am »

depends on which part of dwarf fortress you enjoy the most. there's definitely much !!fun!! to be had, but the production side of the colony is quite shallow.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 280