Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854635 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1260 on: July 16, 2016, 10:24:59 am »

As well should be noted that Rimworld combat, while it works is pretty barebones in comparison with DF, although there is somewhat an organ and limb system like DF it's just not really as comprehensive and detailed as DF.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 16, 2016, 11:28:34 am »

Combat Realism worked to address that, but the original author got angry at how the game kept changing how some things worked and quit. There may be someone else working to carry it on, but Im not positive. I hope so, because the default combat system is really shit.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1262 on: July 16, 2016, 11:52:48 am »

As well should be noted that Rimworld combat, while it works is pretty barebones in comparison with DF, although there is somewhat an organ and limb system like DF it's just not really as comprehensive and detailed as DF.
DF is more detailed than a lot of MA dissertations. :P
RE production chains: Stock is a bit shallow, to be sure, but there are many mods out there (that may or may not be updated for the current patch, we'll see) that increase the depth geometrically, if not exponentially.

In both cases, I think more detail might be a bad thing for stock, so long as modding support continues as it has been, and there's enough community interest to at least port old mods to the latest version that gets released.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: July 16, 2016, 12:58:40 pm »

Yeah, Rimworld is as much Firefly-flavored Sims as it is DF-like, and that ain't a bad thing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 16, 2016, 02:04:48 pm »

This game is sufficiently interesting to someone that has played DF for almost 10 years? I like the setting, and I obviously like DF, but I think the price a bit steep. Some review in steam said it is not worth it if you play DF.

I'd say it is. It's a lot more micro-manage-y, but in a good way. There's a lot of events and *fun*, but you can also create a nice self-sustaining colony like in DF. It doesn't quite have the depth (what does!) but certainly has enough to keep me interested and engaged. As forsaken points out, DF is pretty trivial once you've got the basics - you have to purposefully allow yourself to be attacked to get any real challenge. RImworld is a lot more complete.

I'd definitely say you need to look around for some mods that suit you, but I've found that I've got my money's worth out of it due to the constant updates and content additions from the creator.. 
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 16, 2016, 05:12:20 pm »

So I grabbed this after playing a bit thanks to an acquaintance. Should I grab any mods right out of the gate, or git gud at the game first?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: July 16, 2016, 06:33:58 pm »

Look for the 'allow tool' mod, and possibly the 'colony manager'.  Both of these add tools but don't change how gameplay works.  Once you've played around a bit, look into extra turrets, extra food, extra bionics, etc.  I find the vanilla game to actually be quite interesting, handled right, but just a few buildings I would like to add.  I play either heavy modded with tech tree rebalances, or play slim with some utility/tool mods.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: July 16, 2016, 07:10:46 pm »

I don't know WHY, but the game seems disinclined towards telling me when an infected cut needs treating.

End result: Three people, serious infections and nowhere near immune enough (for some reason my doctors don't like doctoring. It's their number one priority aside from being a patient themselves and beating out fires)
I've probably lost more colonists to flus and infections than the actual gunshot wounds themselves. It's always good to watch your infected colonists like a hawk, even then I've still lost colonists at some bullshit like 96% immunity even though they're in bed 24 hours a day, for more than a week with treatment given immediately when it's scheduled. Best bets are to give them a hospital bed with a good doctor as well as a monitor, once I got those I could reliably ensure my bedridden colonists would survive instead of dying to RNG.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: July 16, 2016, 07:16:57 pm »

Meds matter a lot too.  Set their 'bedrest' to max priority and make sure you have at least healroot/xerigum, and most people will be fine.  If you can afford it, make a silver floored room, even if it's a small 2x2 with one bed and a lamp.  The cleanliness will help, and so will the meds.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: July 16, 2016, 07:37:13 pm »

it aint just silver, its sterile!
Highly Opinionated Fool

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: July 16, 2016, 07:39:23 pm »

it aint just silver, its sterile!
Oh yeah, I forgot that 'sterile' and 'silver' are different floors.  Yes you need sterile.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: July 16, 2016, 08:19:17 pm »

I've never lost people to infections, besides my first few games in which I was figuring out the controls and what's going on when raiders attack and stuff.

Personally, I always play with the Prepare Carefully mod and the majority of the other EDB mods, but other wise I either mostly add tools and little things or go all-out with mod packs and huge rebalances and stuff.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: July 16, 2016, 08:53:27 pm »

That's wonderful when I first got it it wasn't even enabled.

Can't wait for the combat overahul to get there. Is the cybernetic mod still developed? There has been high abandonement since .13 of modders because of the continuing api changes.
The expanded prothetics mod(which I think is what you are talking about) is still being worked on.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 16, 2016, 10:26:45 pm »

I just picked it up, I don't really think of it in terms of Dwarf Fortress. Dwarf Fortress is the only game I've ever given up on, it took seven months of reading insane stories to bring me back around and three days of reading before I felt comfortable striking the earth and within a year half my fortress drowned and the rest died of thirst.

That's not to say this isn't fun, I clicked the wrong button and instead of searching a mysterious corpse for valuables my engineer took a bite out of it. Then I discovered the medical system was exactly what I've wanted to see in DF for years. I had my researcher lie down on the floor and told that corpse biting engineer to remove his right kidney. Took two tries, the first time I guess she was holding the diagram upside down because she sliced up both his shoulder but couldn't find the damn thing. After removing the kidney I discovered it was one of the most valuable items I owned so I guess my next big plan is creating and managing a people farm.

Very impressed so far.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 10:29:31 pm by Broseph Stalin »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: July 16, 2016, 10:53:19 pm »

Wait until you get attacked by raiders, a very effective form of earning money is removing all their limbs and organs then killing them and effectively selling their bodies.

Just a tip: You actually have to have a colonist drafted and right click on a stunned attacker to take them prisoner. Didn't know that at first.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 280