Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854686 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1230 on: July 08, 2016, 09:35:56 am »

Um, It's been awhile since I played vanilla but don't wire explosions only occur when the batteries get hot and or wet.  I keep mine all in their own little freezer-closet at -5C and I've not had a battery or wire explosion in longer than I can remember.
I think they're talking about the event which fires randomly and discharges your stored energy as an explosion. It's not tied to temperature or anything like that, just happens whenever the game decides you've not had enough fun recently.
Yeah, that's what I am talking about as well.  I mean, maybe I am incredibly lucky but the battery discharge/explosion hasn't happened in like 5 different embarks and 20+ years in game with usually fully charged batteries all the time, and I keep them all in their own frozen unit.
Nom nom nom

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1231 on: July 08, 2016, 09:39:41 am »

As far as I can tell looking through the game's files there are no 'triggers' for any of the events. They each have a base chance and, where appropriate, a duration and minimum refire time and then a pointer to the worker class that defines the event. If an event fires that has no valid object, nothing happens.

For example if your storyteller says 'now time for a bad event!' and it rolls up the ShortCircuit event (thats the name of the battery zap one) but you have no batteries, nothing happens at all. There used to be a bug where if an event fired with no valid target, it would stop ALL events forever.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: July 08, 2016, 10:46:49 am »

Keeping them cool helps? If thats the case... my god...
Indeed, don't keep your batteries in the geothermal room.  Fun things happen.  ... I had always put batteries in the geothermal room before.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1233 on: July 08, 2016, 11:50:43 am »

Keeping them in a hot environment is bad because steel is set as flammable for some reason, and because batteries are made of steel they will catch on fire if it gets hot enough

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: July 08, 2016, 12:55:28 pm »

What did you do, crash an airliner into your steel? Obviously RimWorld trolls all the conspiracy websites.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: July 08, 2016, 12:56:36 pm »

I'm still endlessly amused when a grass-fire lights my steel town on fire... which in turn burns to the ground, a destroyed husk.
Nom nom nom

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: July 08, 2016, 04:34:56 pm »

Has the Realistic Research mod changed how the bots work yet? Its kinda annoying to have my colonists constantly fight the robots for insulting them or visaversa.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: July 08, 2016, 06:32:07 pm »

I haven't observed bots to be social at all.

Keeping your batteries hot is bad, but keeping your batteries cold doesn't help.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: July 08, 2016, 06:39:24 pm »

One of the things I like about the Realistic Research mod is that you can get fuses and circuit breakers. They'll soak up some or all of the explosion (batteries still get drained) so long as you build them on a 1:1 or 1:3 fuse/circuit breaker:battery ratio.
Aye.  You can also go straight to the source if you don't like everything else added to Realistic Research and pick up the fuse module of RT Mods.  Alternately, you can wire multiple circuits with either physical separation or power switches to avoid putting too many batteries on a single network, but that can sometimes get a bit fiddly. 

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: July 08, 2016, 08:42:06 pm »

While we're speaking of power, do things like furnaces and stoves use electricity even when they're not in use? That would be extremely annoying.
It'd also be nice if people only turned the lights on when they entered a room...

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: July 08, 2016, 08:57:01 pm »

So this game is going to finally be on Steam early access on the 15th.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: July 08, 2016, 09:09:11 pm »

And I just bought it directly from their site too. On the plus side I assume they got all the money for it, but I would rather like a steam key nonetheless.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: July 08, 2016, 09:20:58 pm »

Most things that decide to begin to use the [EXPUNGED] that is Steam normally let you transfer over your copy to steam.

That is, if they dont act like total pricks and force everyone over to Steam.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: July 08, 2016, 11:10:39 pm »

And I just bought it directly from their site too. On the plus side I assume they got all the money for it, but I would rather like a steam key nonetheless.
Official FAQ response.
Will I get a Steam key?
– Valve’s standard Steam distribution agreement does not allow us to sell Steam keys to a game that isn’t also up for sale on Steam. So, we can’t promise you’ll definitely get a Steam key, because that would be the same as selling Steam keys. (Note: This doesn’t apply if you bought the game on or before November 4, 2014. If you bought before that date, you will get a key when the game is released on Steam. The reason that date is special is because we used to promise Steam keys and that’s the date when Valve asked us to stop.)
So it's possible, even probable, but there are no guarantees. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: July 08, 2016, 11:25:26 pm »

While we're speaking of power, do things like furnaces and stoves use electricity even when they're not in use? That would be extremely annoying.
It'd also be nice if people only turned the lights on when they entered a room...
In vanilla all objects use the same power at all times.  The 'community core library' mod has a bunch of hooks and tools for mods, but also includes 'vanilla tweaks' for things like this.  Small changes that aren't gamebreaking, but are really really nice.  One of those changes is to make furnaces and such only use max power while in use.  Much like a heater, they use minimal power at all times, but use maximum power when crafting.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 280