Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853815 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #420 on: February 10, 2014, 09:28:55 am »

snip
Have you tried cutting the plants?

That's what I figured I'd do, (which is daunting because I have a rather large outdoor base component), but supposedly tiles aren't as susceptible to fire. So, I put down a two-wide layer of concrete around, will see if I need to bump it to three. Then I spotted my beloved gibbet cages out in the tinder zone, and the job got a bit bigger. Will probably take 500+ metal to protect those.

-e
Wait, do those work on raiders?
Nope, apparently not.

Mopping up a 20-man raiding party:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note to self: place the demo charges closer next time. Those seem like a very cost-efficient means of wiping out raiding parties, just put them outside doors and blow up the entire raider party for ~70 metal.

They're also a good corpse disposal! Who needs graves when you can KABAM! the corpse pile!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:43:43 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 10, 2014, 11:47:51 am »

only a question, there is an exploit for defend the colonists from lightning?

Cut all plants in high traffic areas and keep a 3 square perimeter of stone or metal flooring around your base as a firebreak. Also, remember to designate your home zone because colonists will only fight fires in areas designated as home.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #422 on: February 10, 2014, 12:46:11 pm »

Is carpet prone to fire?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Jostino

• Bay Watcher
  • dig dig dig in the deepy shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 10, 2014, 03:11:36 pm »

only a question, there is an exploit for defend the colonists from lightning?

Cut all plants in high traffic areas and keep a 3 square perimeter of stone or metal flooring around your base as a firebreak. Also, remember to designate your home zone because colonists will only fight fires in areas designated as home.
Thanks man, you saved my settlers! : D

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 10, 2014, 07:43:36 pm »

snip
Have you tried cutting the plants?

That's what I figured I'd do, (which is daunting because I have a rather large outdoor base component), but supposedly tiles aren't as susceptible to fire. So, I put down a two-wide layer of concrete around, will see if I need to bump it to three. Then I spotted my beloved gibbet cages out in the tinder zone, and the job got a bit bigger. Will probably take 500+ metal to protect those.

-e
Wait, do those work on raiders?
Nope, apparently not.

Mopping up a 20-man raiding party:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note to self: place the demo charges closer next time. Those seem like a very cost-efficient means of wiping out raiding parties, just put them outside doors and blow up the entire raider party for ~70 metal.

They're also a good corpse disposal! Who needs graves when you can KABAM! the corpse pile!

Dear god, the HORROR!

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #425 on: February 10, 2014, 07:50:43 pm »

Which part: the massacre, the corpse 'vaporization', or the fact there will be a 'Saving Private Johs' movie made about it?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:53:47 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 11, 2014, 10:22:34 am »

So... first try with this game... survived to around day 40-ish in sandbox mode.  My last survivors left to slowly bleed out.  Some poor traveler I had arrested for passing by is left to starve to death in her cell...
This was in 'easy' mode.

I like it.

EDIT: So... minimum of 5x6 rooms to avoid cramped rooms?  Apparently certain items lower room size, so maybe a 6x6 is a good standard.
Also, swimming in food.  I export food.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:27:50 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #427 on: February 11, 2014, 10:35:53 am »

So... first try with this game... survived to around day 40-ish in sandbox mode.  My last survivors left to slowly bleed out.  Some poor traveler I had arrested for passing by is left to starve to death in her cell...
This was in 'easy' mode.

I like it.

EDIT: So... minimum of 5x6 rooms to avoid cramped rooms?  Apparently certain items lower room size, so maybe a 6x6 is a good standard.
Also, swimming in food.  I export food.
From what I understand, you need ~30 unoccupied room tiles for it not to be 'cramped'. That's what I recall reading anyway, and what I have used as a general rule.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 11, 2014, 11:52:12 am »

Ah. I was wondering what the trick to that was. Man, for people marooned on a planet these colonists sure are picky. Based on the furniture sizes their room requirements are gigantic!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #429 on: February 11, 2014, 11:53:34 am »

Ah. I was wondering what the trick to that was. Man, for people marooned on a planet these colonists sure are picky. Based on the furniture sizes their room requirements are gigantic!
To be fair, you can play just fine with only 'cramped' rooms, they just get a small penalty to their mood. I don't give most of my colonists large rooms like that until very late game, if ever.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 11, 2014, 12:16:19 pm »

To be fair, you can play just fine with only 'cramped' rooms, they just get a small penalty to their mood. I don't give most of my colonists large rooms like that until very late game, if ever.

Same here. I just never knew the exact requirements for a non-cramped room before.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 12, 2014, 01:43:53 pm »

So on day 229 for this outpost, and it seems like that the game is going to force me to fail. The raiders are not only coming more frequently, but also coming in great numbers, and it seems like a I need to kill a lot more of them before they flee. The time between raiders is barely enough time to rebuild my turrets (but not my mines).

I'm curious at stage in the development if its possible to just have a sustainable colony without working a defense that exploits the enemy AI.

On a side note, the enemy AI is rather strong. It does a fantastic job at at finding cover and attacking.

---
So after 229 days... my colony is also hopelessly bogged down by debris and dead bodies, and sooo many graves just sooo many graves.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:12:30 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 12, 2014, 02:22:29 pm »

Same here. I just never knew the exact requirements for a non-cramped room before.
Well...  you could probably safely choose between shacking everyone up in the same big room versus putting a buncha puny 2x2 rooms.  The difference between the two is 3 happiness if I remember correctly.

I think I want to try out some type of cross fire set-up later.  Between 2 turrets and my defenders, each time opening it up with an explosion.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #433 on: February 12, 2014, 03:09:21 pm »

Screw graves, pile up the bodies next to a mine, lob a couple molotovs, (is that possible?), and say goodbye to the mess.

I'd also reckon replacing the mines is more important, depending on where you've got em. They can kill more for less cost. How many people do you have?
Badges of honor

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 26, 2014, 03:39:49 pm »

BIG update.

Now, modding is possible. Some of the more notable fixes in the changelog:

• Ridiculously huge performance improvements across the board due to simple rewriting of old perf-blind code. For example, we no longer draw the whole map every frame(!) - and tons of others.
    (does this mean we can make humongous maps now with almost no performance loss?)
  • Created a no-roof region similar to the home region. The game won’t generate roofs in these regions. In addition, player-constructed roofs are removed when no-roof regions are added.
  • Stockpiling AI: when on hauling runs, colonists now pick up extra resources from nearby piles even if they can’t carry all of them.
  • Letters now have varying urgencies. More urgent gets a hotter color. The most urgent ones also bounce occasionally to get your attention.
  • Blasting charges cut (until they can be balanced properly).
    :( means I can no longer just make two 5x5 kill rooms to Exterminate invaders... oh well, I guess people actually have to fight now :P
  • Balance: Colonists self-extinguish 2.5x more often.
  • Created cook stove and three meal types to cook. Advanced meal types require multiple ingredients but have better psychological and nutritive effects.
  • Advanced meal types require advanced cooking skills.
  • Added varied food types from plants: potatoes, agave, and berries.
  • Added stone economy: stonecutter’s table, crafting worktype, stone cutting workgiver, stone blocks thing, stone tiles floor, low stone wall, high stone wall.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 280