Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853761 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #390 on: January 29, 2014, 12:07:31 pm »

Seems that way to me.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #391 on: January 29, 2014, 12:56:59 pm »

Well, why shouldn't they. It's probably going to be adjusted later, but there's no reason to remove features if they're not really breaking the game.
Because obviously alpha games are not allowed to experiment with features and should be 100% complete duh.

/Sarcasm

Seriously though, it's alpha. Things that are unfun will not likely remain in, but they are not going to worry about balancing when half the core features aren't even in yet.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 29, 2014, 01:13:06 pm »

Well, why shouldn't they. It's probably going to be adjusted later, but there's no reason to remove features if they're not really breaking the game.

If you have three survivors and 100 pieces of wall your colonists will spend a vast majority of their time going around fixing all the constantly-degrading walls instead of actual work.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #393 on: January 29, 2014, 01:14:31 pm »

If you have three survivors and 100 pieces of wall your colonists will spend a vast majority of their time going around fixing all the constantly-degrading walls instead of actual work.
Yes? And? It will be tweaked at some point. This isn't even the game's final form. (snrk)

You have to expect things like this when you choose to play pre-release titles. Report it to the dev and move on, or deal with it and keep playing. Build your complex into stone instead!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 29, 2014, 01:16:46 pm »

I've been reporting this since the first available build. Tynan seems uninterested in fixing it. I will continue to bring it up until something about it is changed, there's no point to attempt to build walls as opposed to cheesing and digging into the mountain to use as your defence walls, since those don't constantly degrade for no reason.

No need to kneejerk defend concrete walls losing 33% of their HP in 6 hours, folks, it's still a good game.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 01:20:09 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #395 on: January 29, 2014, 01:21:22 pm »

I've been reporting this since the first available build. Tynan seems uninterested in fixing it.

No need to kneejerk defend concrete walls losing 33% of their HP in 6 hours, folks, it's still a good game.
I didn't defend it, don't strawman. I said that bugs are expected and that this is very likely not intended behavior. I agreed with you that it is bad. I also said its unlikely to be fixed because they aren't working on balancing right now.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #396 on: January 29, 2014, 03:25:16 pm »

I haven't actually forked out for a copy yet, but I have to admit Mictlantecuhtli (how the hell do you pronounce that, anyway?) kind of has a point. That sounds both really annoying to deal with in-game and really easy to hotfix by changing a single value somewhere in the code.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 29, 2014, 03:35:14 pm »

Eh, I haven't ever noticed it being a problem, and I put up walls all over the place. It's a little more maintenance for your people, but once you get past 4 you usually have idle hands anyway.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2014, 03:52:25 pm »

Mod support soon, so it shouldn't be an unsolvable problem much more.

khantin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 29, 2014, 05:58:52 pm »

I build my entire base underground and every room is surrounded by constructed walls.   While the amount of maintenance is unrealistic, I haven't found it to be disruptive.   I just like how walls conduct electricity so I don't have cables everywhere.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #400 on: January 29, 2014, 06:48:54 pm »

I haven't actually forked out for a copy yet, but I have to admit Mictlantecuhtli (how the hell do you pronounce that, anyway?) kind of has a point. That sounds both really annoying to deal with in-game and really easy to hotfix by changing a single value somewhere in the code.
It isn't at all as bad as he/she is making it out to be. The game is entirely playable even if you build walls all over.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 29, 2014, 07:01:43 pm »

If you rush to get other colonists to maintain your constantly dissolving walls, yes.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #402 on: January 29, 2014, 07:31:00 pm »

One way to look at that mechanic, is to help prevent some sort of manifest destiny.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 29, 2014, 09:31:25 pm »

So. Remember Tynan Sylvester, the Bad Magician? I started up a new game and he's one of my starting three.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 31, 2014, 10:29:29 pm »

So, I manage to get hold of the game, and trying it out.

Having fun.

But I cant seem to stop everyone from starving. The stockpile meter says I have 300 something raw food, and my food harper have food in them, and my Food Paste Machine has power, but everyone is starting.

I've tried farming and cutting plants but everyone keeps starving.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 280