Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 17325 times)

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2014, 01:30:34 pm »

Only played one pre-release - 3 wins 2 losses = 2 Boosters.

Most fun i had was swinging with my team  of phalanx leader, Setassan Oathsworn and Elite Skirmisher, then casting Glimpse the Sun God on my tapped and attacking Oathsworn, phalanx Leader and his two blockers for the last 14 damage.

Opening a shiny Fleecemane also helped.

My first god i got was Karametra, God of Harvet in one of the price boosters - now the general of my new commander deck. Time to playtest it in the local poolcenter.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:32:32 pm by hachnslay »
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2014, 02:06:31 pm »

For anyone who cares, the one mana planeswalker is banned in modern, and Bitterblossom and Wild Nacatl are unbanned.

More importantly for me, Sylvan Primordial is banned in Commander.
Ah, a shame, that.  At least my other Primordials are fine for my EDH mill. :3
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:13:23 pm by Culise »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2014, 06:01:38 pm »

Ooh, Deathrite Shamans will be easier to get for Commander now.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2014, 06:26:14 pm »

Talking about Commander - I would not be surprised if Karametra gets banned from Commander for the same reasons Sensei's divining top is.
It was turn 7, i had 21 lands and every turn thereafter took about 10 minutes.
Extremely powerful, takes far too long, is not fun to play against. Especially not in multiplayer.

also: A nice web series related to MTG
... i keep watching even if it means i discover every horrible game error they make.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 02:31:16 pm by hachnslay »
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2014, 09:20:42 pm »

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't think of a more fitting place to put this...
A tangent in the anime thread led me to look up a certain meme again, and I found this:

I actually think this card would be pretty unbalanced, since there are a lot powerful cards that are not sent to the graveyard when they're destroyed. Certain Eldrazi come to mind. It would probably cost a lot more mana than that, were it an official card.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2014, 09:27:04 pm »

It is funny that it is a black card because it is like it is specifically built to mess over black cards.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2014, 09:33:12 pm »

I feel like it would make more sense as a blue card. It seems like more of a field control thing than anything.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2014, 10:02:42 pm »

I actually think this card would be pretty unbalanced, since there are a lot powerful cards that are not sent to the graveyard when they're destroyed. Certain Eldrazi come to mind. It would probably cost a lot more mana than that, were it an official card.
That card does very little. They way it's currently worded, a trigger goes on the stack whenever the creature is destroyed that sends it to the graveyard. If the creature is in the graveyard when the ability resolves, it does nothing. If it enters the graveyard and then leaves before the trigger resolves, such as a eldrazi or a creature with persist, then the trigger does nothing - If it enters the battlefield again it is considered a new object. Currently, all that it would do currently is make indestructible creatures vulnerable to cards like abrupt decay.

To have it work the way you want, you'd want the following wording:
Cards can't enter the battlefield, hand or library from graveyards.

This shuts down eldrazi shuffle effects, However, it does not stop effects like progenitus - progenitus is a replacement effect for the card going into the graveyard. It never enters the graveyard, so it's immune to graveyard hate.

Of course, an already existing card with a very similar effect is rest in peace, costing just 1W.

Also, "universal enchantment" causes me some grief.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2014, 10:29:00 pm »

Oooh how about this!

"Creatures who would be destroyed are sent to the graveyard instead"

Mind you, this... has a very different effect overall. As it also prevents triggers that rely on destruction.

Hmm it is too vague since technically it COULD overwrite regeneration depending on the order.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:07:25 am by Neonivek »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2014, 06:06:54 am »

Quote from: comprehensive rules
701.6. Destroy

701.6a. To destroy a permanent, move it from the battlefield to its owner's graveyard.

701.6b. The only ways a permanent can be destroyed are as a result of an effect that uses the word "destroy" or as a result of the state-based actions that check for lethal damage (see rule 704.5g) or damage from a source with deathtouch (see rule 704.5h). If a permanent is put into its owner's graveyard for any other reason, it hasn't been "destroyed."

701.6c. A regeneration effect replaces a destruction event. See rule 701.12, "Regenerate."
The rules text "Creatures that would be destroyed are sent to the graveyard instead" would do nothing. That's equivalent to "creatures that would be destroyed are destroyed instead".

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2014, 07:47:22 am »

Seems like a perfect wording for that card, then :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2014, 07:36:47 am »

Is there a lore-friendly drafting game? Could there be?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2014, 07:40:41 am »

There is a difference.

A creature moved to the graveyard isn't "destroyed" only creatures who are destroyed are destroyed.

There are plenty of effects that just place a creature into the graveyard without destroying them. Essentially this overwrites the destroyed state and just places them in the graveyard.

Or if you want more technical wording: "Whenever a creature would be destroyed they are placed in the graveyard instead, they are not destroyed"

Is there a lore-friendly drafting game? Could there be?

Technically there is nothing particularly lore breaking about using any cards from any set. The series to my knowledge doesn't have any purely isolated worlds.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:49:12 am by Neonivek »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2014, 10:14:01 am »

I quite like "fledgingly planeswalker with no clue arrives in another world". If you mixed in a choose your own adventure as you frantically try to learn the basics, grub around for spells and "recruit" any poor foolish bastards you find i would love that. I had a forum game like that but ran out of time.

It would be a hell of a roguelike- start of as any random creature card from magic and have the game scale appropriately.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:17:48 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2015, 11:30:14 pm »

Gosh, they are pushing Gideon pretty hard in Origins.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12