Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 17322 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2013, 12:59:54 am »

Er, the only permanent in that decklist that has anything to do with basic lands is the Woodlot Crawler, and I'm not sure why you want to bother? Agent of the Fates certainly doesn't...

Also, I feel like you might want to find room in that Ethereal Armor deck for 2 or 3 Spheres of Safety. I dunno, though, I always kind of waffle on that card. Probably too expensive for what it does, but being cheaper would make it unfun to play against. Anyway, it seems like it fits in with what you want to do, which is control boatloads of enchantments and lock down opponents meanwhile.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2013, 01:09:22 am »

From the Trait Doctoring rulings: 4/15/2013    You can target any permanent with Trait Doctoring, including one with no color words or basic land types on it.

That being said, I dunno how I feel about it as a heroic enabler. I'd prefer Triton Tactics, even if it can't be reused a bajillion times. Cipher spells can't be reused if the thing they're ciphered on dies.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2013, 01:19:57 am »

Ohhhh! Why no Hidden Strings? Just the satisfaction of messing with people's heads, or the sort-of mana savings?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:26:39 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2013, 01:36:49 am »

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2013, 08:52:33 pm »

Well, made a promise with someone yesterday before FNM that if I came last for a third consecutive week  that I'd go out and buy a wooden spoon, carve "Wooden Spoon - 0, Artifact" into it and bring it to the next FNM. I barely escaped it by placing third last yesterday.

I so hate how the vast majority of decks I face each week are three colour control...Out of 5 rounds this week, 3 control decks and 1 pure black. On the other hand, I'm getting a good idea of the most common cards used amongst people in my area. Now, all I have to do is either buy my way into cards that will help me out or get lucky a few times when I get boosters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2014, 08:06:38 pm »

Anyone going to the prerelease? Also, what are thoughts on this whole Conspiracy thing?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2014, 01:11:55 am »

No prerelease for me :\

For the conspiracy, we'll wait to see what comes of it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2014, 05:07:43 pm »

I love how Conspiracy is being spoiled.

As far as the set goes, I wonder how far they're going to go with the goofy drafting mechanics. Are they trying to make an Ascension sort of game mode where there's a ton of effects and interaction during the draft? Or is this just a cube-style draft with a few cards to spice it up? I hope it's the former.

If there are enough neat drafting effects, I might end up making a cube.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2014, 05:32:18 pm »

I had plans to go to prerelease but blah, I'm sick!
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2014, 07:32:00 pm »

Went to the midnight prerelease, tied for 1st (Intentional Draw in the final round, split prize packs). Mediocre pulls in my sealed pool, ended up playing U/B. Pulled a Xenagos and a Mogis in my prize packs, which almost made it worth not getting home until about 6:30 in the morning.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2014, 08:57:52 pm »

I had some silly-great draws in my pool at the midnight prerelease. Just had a really aggressive RW deck that used heroic and bestow to keep up steam. Soldier of the Pantheon + Firedrinker Satyr + Anax and Cymede in my Theros packs helped a lot. Didn't fare so well this morning, but I did alright. Same colors, but without the cohesion - my best cards were just in those colors and there was no particular deck archetype I could achieve. Lost mostly due to a failure to keep momentum, or due to never getting it due to some absurd mana screw (mulligan a 7 land hand -> 4 lands, a combat trick, and an aura). Judging from people I talked to, low cohesion can happen a lot in this Sealed environment - but when your deck does come together properly, you tend to go pretty explosively.

Wound up winning 9 packs between the two events, so a free fat pack basically. Got Xenagos in one of them, and a Spirit of the Labyrinth. As I also got Eidolon of Countless Battles in both seeded boosters, I'm really satisfied - my card wish list is now 2 more of those Eidolons, 3 Spirit of the Labyrinths, and 4 Heroes of Iroas, and maybe a few commons or uncommons which I'm not sure I have 4 of yet. And 4 Temples of Plenty. Not exactly the worst place to be.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2014, 10:27:45 pm »

I ended up spending the whole weekend at the prerelease, with fmn into midnight prerelease resulting in over 30 hours of solid magic. My performance on saturday got more erratic with as sleep deprivation got worse. Sunday I came in rested up and won half a dozen packs over two events (WB lifegain in 2HG is incredibly good).

Good picks include 3 kioras, which I will immediately put to waste accelerating a maze's end deck, which will also make use of the greatest card in the new set my far, chromanticore. Chromanticore is clearly the greatest card in the set, of all the cards in the set it was the only won that won the game 100% of them time when it came down (and the first time it did, the player got a round of applause from the entire store and a free booster).

The FLGS I go to had a very large turnout, with about 500 prereleases boxes being sold. We ended up running out of three of the colours by the end of sunday, due to wizards turning us down when we asked for more.

We did have one of the magisters pulled at my store, but unfortunately it happened when I was out of the building, so I didn't get to see it first hand.Interestingly enough, one of them has already been offered on sale for a a 1000USD on ebay.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2014, 11:07:21 pm »

Are the magisters free-floating in the prerelease pack? Because if they came in the BNG boosters I'd imagine they'd come in the normal set boosters.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2014, 11:21:12 pm »

Are the magisters free-floating in the prerelease pack? Because if they came in the BNG boosters I'd imagine they'd come in the normal set boosters.
I haven't a clue. They were likely in the seeded booster in the packs.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2014, 09:44:53 am »

For anyone who cares, the one mana planeswalker is banned in modern, and Bitterblossom and Wild Nacatl are unbanned.

More importantly for me, Sylvan Primordial is banned in Commander.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12