Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 17326 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2013, 08:40:51 pm »

You people with your midnight prereleases.

Basically, I heard it would be sort of slow and durdly. And then the hammer drops and suddenly it's over.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2013, 10:14:28 pm »

Will Theros be part of the standard format?

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2013, 10:36:15 pm »

Will Theros be part of the standard format?
Next Friday, it will rotate into Standard, and Innistrad block (Innistrad, Dark Ascension and Avacyn Restored) as well as M13 will rotate out.

On another note, midnight pre-release here was pretty god damn amazing.
They started to collide~

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2013, 10:42:48 pm »

i'll have to settle for mtgo since there's no mtg community in israel

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2013, 08:29:57 am »

Any tips from the midnight prereleasers? There's always some stuff in the set that's scarier to play against than you'd think from just reading the spoilers online (fuck you extort). It'd be cool to know that stuff ahead of time.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2013, 08:39:48 am »

i'll have to settle for mtgo since there's no mtg community in israel

Which saddens me, because I'd absolutely die for a Hebrew print run. They only ever made one card in hebrew, and that was Glory for the Judgment prereleases or something. Completely random, but eh.

Any tips from the midnight prereleasers? There's always some stuff in the set that's scarier to play against than you'd think from just reading the spoilers online (fuck you extort). It'd be cool to know that stuff ahead of time.

Bestow is simply amazing value in Limited. Very hard to deal with. Also, x/4's can block 90% of the commons and uncommons in the format, while Lightning Strike hits about 67% (or was it 70-something%? I forget the exact percentages) of them. The 2-mana exile target creature with power two or less is absolutely worth maindecking at least one of. Removal is always good in some number, but considering the lack of quality removal and the abundance of cards that don't care about it as much, don't overvalue it too much. Creatures win the games, after all, not spot removal. Heroic is a fickle mistress. B/W is strong. U/W is good as well. In a meta with unskilled players and/or weak pools, even a mediocre R/W pool can steal games very easily. Mind, we're talking Sealed as opposed to Draft. Also, white promo is probably the best, as I figured. Bestow is so good, and so is a 5-drop 4/4 flier with first-strike... it just so happens that it's the best promo for it's CMC, IMO. Also, Gray Merchant of Apshodel is very, very good. So is Scrying. Damn is it ever so good.

So as for my prerelease experience... it was mediocre. I ended the day 4-2, but because my store likes to do top half, I only had 4 packs for 5th place. Value wise, I broke even, maybe a little more, but so not worth the effort. I really don't like Sealed, I've come to realize. Draft is more my thing.

Way too tired for an in-depth tournament report, so I'll come back and flesh it out later;

My deck was U/W fliers. Hardly the best deck, but notable cards included Prognostic Sphinx, Daxos of Meletis, Spear of Heliod, pack-pulled blue promo kraken, and my promo Celestial Archon. Also pulled Boon Satyr and the black Bestow rare (which I traded away). Nothing over $4, and Daxos was especially disappointing considering I already preordered a playset. Performance-wise however, he was fantastic and kept me in my final game of the day so I could win it. I'll put my decklist here later once I've slept some.

Round 1 vs R/G

It was pretty uneventful, and I was the first person done smashing my opponent 2-0. He was clearly an inexperienced player, but there just wasn't much he could have done better anyway; my deck performed just as it was meant to.

Round 2 vs U/B

Slightly tougher matchup, but ultimately he used his removal on the wrong things and it cost him the round. 2-0 for me.

Round 3 vs B/G

I lost game 1 to land flooding, won game 2 on turn 5, and then lost third game yet again to land flood. Almost won the third game, but he had a timely heroic trigger to gain 1 life putting him just out of range of an alpha strike supported by God's Willing. He frustrated me a lot because game 1 he spent way, way too much time making decisions. Had it been anything but a prerelease, I'd have called a judge on him for slow play several times it got so bad. He ended up winning on the third turn of turns. It was ridiculous. At risk of sounding like a terrible person, I will say karma got him as after round 4 he was outside throwing up for a few minutes. Apparently he 'smoked something bad.' I really didn't like this guy.

Round 4 vs R/W

This guy was the guy I go to every event with, and one of my best friends. He was actually paired down against me because of an odd number of players being undefeated, which is just my damn luck. He stomped me 2-0, though the first game I put up a fight. Second game was - as always this tourney - land flood issues. He's the luckiest guy I've ever met though, in everything and anything. I swear it's his good karma for having been born physically handicapped. I can't feel too bad, as he went undefeated and got 1st place by drawing with his last round opponent.

Round 5 vs R/W

This was a completely different game compared to Round 4, with her playing a much slower R/W deck that just couldn't handle the pure momentum of my deck. Won 2-0 here.

Round 6 vs W/B

This guy was - other than my good friend - the only regular I played, and he was a tough match. Game 1 was a quick win for me, Game 2 saw me lose to land flood (though I did put up a solid fight, and almost had it at one point). Game 2, however, was a true test of skill. We both gained and lost the upper-hand, but a timely God's Willing on Daxos let him swing in, gain me the 4 life needed to keep me alive and cast a blocker to trade with one of his attackers. Ended up winning on the back of a stalemated board and a Prognostic Sphinx swinging every turn. I won just as the round would have gone to time and started turns.

In my prize packs, I ended up pulling a Medomai, a Temple of Mystery, an Erebos, and a Sylvan Caryatid; each one of those rares was worth more than my highest value rare in my sealed pool, so I wasn't too terribly unhappy.

Rare-wise today, I ended up pulling about $51 in rares. Which, while above the $25 entry fee by more than double... almost wasn't worth it from the sleep lost and the anything-but-fun Sealed format. Oh well, at least I managed to trade for things I need for Standard.

EDIT: Yes, I think of double my entry fee as break even, especially considering how it's padded by a lot of $4 and $1 rares. I look to the SCG prices and half it to figure how I did value-wise.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:18:13 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2013, 03:57:16 pm »

That feeling when it takes you 14 packs of Theros over two prereleases, not counting the 2 Red boosters, to finally find a single Magma Jet, of which you want 4 for your Standard deck. Also, that feeling when the guy across from you gets Purphoros, the guy to your right gets a foil Ashiok and a Xenagos, the girl across and to the right gets a Stormbreath Dragon, a Master of Waves, and a Polukranos, and you get a Labyrinth Champion and Anax and Cymede. Also that guy who got two Elspeths in his pool.

Basically, I'm filled with disappointment at my pools, as was statistically inevitable (it's unlikely that I'd be the one to pull something particularly good, but it's almost certain that a few people would). They were good enough to do some consistent stuff, but they both felt like settling. Heroism + Bestow and/or Ordeals is a decent situation to be in in RW, and you can go 3 color if you load up on scrying, even without much fixing. Only do this if you have some synergy here (Flamespeaker Adept, of course, but Witch's Eye is also a great end-of-turn thing if you stick it on a deathtouch blocker, or a great way to dodge the drawback on Deathbellow Raider). Titan's Strength is a Flamespeaker's best friend.

EDIT: I did still win some packs, so it's not like I was completely screwed. Just underwhelmed. At least I never pulled the damn horse.

MOAR EDIT: I'd also recommend being on the draw. The format's more about your inevitable rise to power than it is about raw tempo, even if you're running aggro. The game is very swingy because of the monstrosity and the bestow and the heroics synergizing with whatever buffs you have because you're already running heroism. You want the highest quality swing in your favor you can muster, even if it is a bit slower. The main exception is if you're running very low curve aggro where you can't stay in the game if things run long, but it'll be hard to assemble that deck.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 05:18:12 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2013, 08:36:31 pm »

I opened a Bident, a Hammer, an Ashen Rider. Made top 16, netting me three packs in prizes. Went Blue/White

In prize packs, I pulled Ashiok, A&C, and a second Kraken, the first being my promo.

There were also door prizes out the wazoo. I got some werewolf from DA, in promo form. One guy, however, got the end-of-night Big Prize. Jace, plus some other nineteen cards or something. I think there was something about a vault...?

But yeah, local store is good. When I got up here, I asked about MMA, to which I heard they sold out ages ago. They'd been selling at MSRP. Yeah.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2013, 11:55:13 pm »

I pulled a Mistcutter Hydra in the prerelease. Every single one of my opponents was running blue. It was awesome.

But I think I should have gone green-black instead of green-red. I went 3/2 and won a single pack, which contained Heliod and a Magma Jet. I'm happy with that.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2013, 12:08:36 am »

I went UW day one and GU day two. Might've been better with GR day two.

Won three packs day one, zero packs day two.

Today's rares:
Nylea, Ember Swallower, Sylvan Caryatid, Bident, Bow, Temple of Abandon.
Yesterday's:
Ashen Rider, Bident, Hammer, Non-promo Shipbreaker Kraken, A&C, Ashiok, Anger of the Gods, Non-promo Anthousa, Meletis Charlatan
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:20:49 am by RedWarrior0 »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2013, 12:13:12 pm »

I managed to get two medomais, three daxoses, and three battlewise hoplites. I foresee some blue white shenanigans.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2013, 01:43:33 am »

So, with rotation happening at this FNM, what are people looking at running? It's all I can spare to fork over the 5 bucks for Constructed, so I'm just running a Naya stronk deck that's mostly Ravnica, with just the lightest sprinkling of Theros from the prerelease (1 each of Soldier of the Pantheon, Anax and Cymede, Magma Jet, and Fanatic of Mogis).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2013, 03:32:07 am »

i'll be running a bestow heavy deck i think. not sure if its gonna be mono green or not

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2013, 07:53:25 am »

Not playing FNM yet, I'm waiting until once I finish getting the cards I need for U/W/r. I'm about 13 cards short, mainly lacking Theros stuff, two Sacred Foundries, and two Jace, Architect of Thoughts. My list has changed very little since I posted it earlier in this thread.

I keep sitting here thinking that anyone who thinks to play Esper is just gonna chew me up 60-65% of games, while I have a much better match up against aggro than they do (Anger of the Gods, for the most part, is why I say this). Meanwhile, they have access to things like Hero's Downfall, Blood Baron/Obzedat, Thoughtseize, etc. It all just depends on how the meta develops, especially the one locally.

I'm just counting on a majority of players around here liking to play lots of creatures, piloting simpler archetypes, and not being very good at brewing decks. Once an SCG Open or three has passed, then I'll have to start worrying, if Esper is a thing. :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2013, 12:32:02 pm »

so, i have 2 new standard decks in mind - one is a rerun of the old etherial armor deck, the other abuses heroic sacrifice triggers and cards that aren't supposed to work in ways that they do.

Etherial Armor Redux U/W

4x Etherial Armor
4x Hopeful Eidolon
4x Aqueous Form
3x Blind Obedience
4x Leyv Skyknight
3x Ordeal of Thassa
2x Ordeal of Heliod
1x Bident of Thassa
1x Spear of Heliod
2x Arrest
3x Pacifism
3x Supreme Verdict
3x Ascended Lawmage
2x Azorious Charm
2x Auramancer
1x Detention Sphere
4x Hallowed Fountain
4x Azorious Guildgate
6x Plains
4x Island

The deck i am more interested in:

Dimir makes you sacrifice B/U

4x Agent of the Fates
4x Annul
4x Nightveil Specter
3x Tormented Hero
3x Trait Doctoring
3x Aqueous Form
3x Far/Away
3x Liliana's Reaver
3x Mizzium Skin
2x Doomblade
2x Nighthowler
2x Mogis's Marauder
2x Thassa, God of the Sea
2x Baleful Eidolon
1x Bident of Thassa
1x Consuming Aberation
4x Watery Grave
4x Temple of Deceit
4x Dimir Guildgate
6x Swamp

Sb:
3x Woodlot Crawler
3x Swan Song
2x Rapid Hybridization
2x Lifebane Zombie
2x Psychic Spiral
1x Pithing Needle
1x Master of Waves
1x Erebos, God of the Dead

Trait Doctoring can change all instances of Forest to Mountain on my Agent of the Fates ...
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12