Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]

Author Topic: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)  (Read 49689 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)
« Reply #405 on: May 21, 2014, 09:39:15 am »

Space is too small for x3 gameplay. Rebirth is unrecoverable.
Well X3 was basically several dozen more or less flat sectors (Hey it literally had 4 cardinal directions) so its only a matter of adding more stops on the highway.
The real problem is changing your ship... i mean it's not a big problem now becaus what you own is more or less a corvette (and those are pretty much the most used player ships in X3 due to their flexibility and being able to dock at any station) however the ability to change ships would be very VERY velsome by people who like the freedom.

Rebirth is also very flat.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 21, 2014, 11:04:27 am »

Most space games are surprisingly flat.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 21, 2014, 11:05:54 am »

Space is too small for x3 gameplay. Rebirth is unrecoverable.
Well X3 was basically several dozen more or less flat sectors (Hey it literally had 4 cardinal directions) so its only a matter of adding more stops on the highway.
The real problem is changing your ship... i mean it's not a big problem now becaus what you own is more or less a corvette (and those are pretty much the most used player ships in X3 due to their flexibility and being able to dock at any station) however the ability to change ships would be very VERY velsome by people who like the freedom.

The ship changing thing felt more like a principle of a thing than anything, since as you said, people tend to ride corvettes and make missile complexes to cover capital ship bombardment. More freedom is better than no freedom at all.

Now knowing that they were actually unfortunate enough to have financial problems makes me feel sorry for them now, if only a bit.

Are we talking about the flatness of the dimension, or the flatness of a space sim's universe?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 21, 2014, 11:13:31 am »

I do feel bad for them after they put so much support and patches into the games, and I genuinely loved x3, but regardless of the reasons rebirth was terrible and they MUST have known it was and how disappointing it would be.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 21, 2014, 11:13:51 am »

Are we talking about the flatness of the dimension, or the flatness of a space sim's universe?
I think mostly the tendency of having sector maps that resemble old text adventure games (N, S, E and W exits for 99% of them)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 21, 2014, 01:31:28 pm »

The highway minigame. UGH!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #411 on: May 21, 2014, 01:37:42 pm »

It's gone...

well it's changed. It isn't a minigame any more really, you just avoid hitting stuff.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 21, 2014, 01:52:52 pm »

It's gone...you just avoid hitting stuff.

Yeah, that's not gone.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #413 on: May 21, 2014, 02:33:22 pm »

Yeah, that's not gone.
Its not the silly drafting minigame. Its just dodging other ships. And the autopilot can fly you places iirc if you CBA to do that.

Its still far more entertaining than waiting ages to arrive at a gate as in X3. Some of those gates were very far out.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 21, 2014, 02:45:31 pm »

Yeah, that's not gone.
Its not the silly drafting minigame. Its just dodging other ships. And the autopilot can fly you places iirc if you CBA to do that.

Its still far more entertaining than waiting ages to arrive at a gate as in X3. Some of those gates were very far out.

The X3 autopilot did the work for you and if you were willing to pay for energy you could just warp. Rebirth hasn't removed the "AI runs into you" issues. You can dodge ships in X3 without just hitting one of four buttons momentarily and never touching your mouse or joystick. The highways are not entertaining. Instead of waiting to jump you wait to arrive.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #415 on: May 21, 2014, 03:02:11 pm »

I don't really see the difference, they're equally boring.

Anyway rebirth has plenty of flaws much worse than the highway minigame, so its curious you are fixiated so strongly on that. It doesn't even register in my top 20 "WTF GAME?" moments.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]