Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)  (Read 49690 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)
« Reply #390 on: May 21, 2014, 01:21:11 am »

Which, I heard is because (but is not confirmed) this was originally intended to be a console game, which was never released and instead ported back to PC.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 21, 2014, 01:22:05 am »

I would like to know REALLY what makes it so much inferior? Is it mainly the single ship thing? Or what?

Not sure because i didn't play it personally but from what i remember hearing:

1 - Only one ship.
2 - Console port without an actual console release (Xbox files apparently mined out of the code or something).
3 - Trade ships getting stuck in stations.
4 - Worse modability compared to AP and TC.
5 - Forced "space station simulator 2014" moments.
6 - Changed combat that feels more console than PC.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 21, 2014, 01:46:55 am »

Hmm, the above plus from the trailer I'm unsure my computer would run it well. I guess I will reluctantly hold off on purchasing it despite the 50% price.

Can the graphics be turned down significantly?
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 21, 2014, 01:52:28 am »

I would like to know REALLY what makes it so much inferior? Is it mainly the single ship thing? Or what?

Not sure because i didn't play it personally but from what i remember hearing:

1 - Only one ship.
2 - Console port without an actual console release (Xbox files apparently mined out of the code or something).
3 - Trade ships getting stuck in stations.
4 - Worse modability compared to AP and TC.
5 - Forced "space station simulator 2014" moments.
6 - Changed combat that feels more console than PC.

Don't forget Yisha.
And back then (I dunno if it applies on 2.0), the menu driven system of Reunion/TC/AP worked better than walking in space stations to get around performing trades.
I would forgive the voice acting, but the jargon is still trippy.
No hotkeys (again, i dunno if it applies on 2.0)
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 21, 2014, 05:11:33 am »

Hmm, the above plus from the trailer I'm unsure my computer would run it well. I guess I will reluctantly hold off on purchasing it despite the 50% price.

Can the graphics be turned down significantly?
You could, but then you're just better buying X:3 . Better game, more content, mostly patched.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 21, 2014, 05:43:56 am »

I played it and the design decisions were just mind mindbogglingly terrible. It's like at every step of the way they actually said 'how can we make this feature worse than before' - I literally don't understand it.

However, this has had a 2.0 release which has apparently fixed a lot of the worst problems at launch/terrible design decisions (I've not tried it out yet). I think it's kinda a bit too late though - they really should have cut their losses and started again, as I really don't see anyone jumping on the bandwagon now (or certainly not in a big enough volume to make it worth while). I get they're trying to offer support, but I really don't think they can ever really bring it back to being anything like as good as the old ones.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 21, 2014, 06:05:25 am »

I think this is the part where they make Rebirth from scratch. I mean, really, they had a really great game with the X: Reunion line; why'd they have to abandon what they all knew to be working formulas?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 21, 2014, 06:08:18 am »

A logical explanation is that this was originally intended as a console game, which required changing all those systems.Then that failed, for some reason, and they ported it to PC to cut their losses.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 21, 2014, 06:18:12 am »

A logical explanation is that this was originally intended as a console game, which required changing all those systems.Then that failed, for some reason, and they ported it to PC to cut their losses.

The only reason that I'm willing to accept to an extent; as it justifies the gameplay design blunders they committed, despite them being one of the older and experienced space sim creators in the whole space sim business.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 21, 2014, 06:21:09 am »

Well, they're known to have financial problems. I mean, they suddenly has to make another game (Albion Prelude) to bridge the gap when rebirth got delayed.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 21, 2014, 07:31:15 am »

One thing i learned with rebirth is that its not really design decision, but more of budget limitation that forced them to cut 80% of what made good X games, they wanted to go console but failed so they quickly ported it to pc, made it *not crashy* and released before going down as a cmompany due to lack of fund. As a X serie fan its the only logical explanation i can see and am willing to more-or-less accept.

If it were anything else i would be playing it from *nefarious* source insead of supporting them, in my book game company can do 3 major mistake before i start ignoring them 1? Chithappens, 2? Eh Made a mistake, 3? Can you learn from your past mistake? 4? You clearly dont seem to learn, time to bug off.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 21, 2014, 07:57:39 am »

The space station sim was boring and mostly empty with a few unmoving npc's that could have easily been accessed from your ship's comms.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 21, 2014, 08:12:24 am »

The space station sim was boring and mostly empty with a few unmoving npc's that could have easily been accessed from your ship's comms.

Apparently that's been changed in v2.0 so you can now do most of it from your ship's comms - I believe it's most stuff that isn't campaign related actually. They are towing it back in the right direction, but I doubt they're ever going to get it back to what x3 was.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 21, 2014, 08:34:11 am »

Space is too small for x3 gameplay. Rebirth is unrecoverable.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 21, 2014, 08:41:37 am »

Space is too small for x3 gameplay. Rebirth is unrecoverable.
Well X3 was basically several dozen more or less flat sectors (Hey it literally had 4 cardinal directions) so its only a matter of adding more stops on the highway.
The real problem is changing your ship... i mean it's not a big problem now becaus what you own is more or less a corvette (and those are pretty much the most used player ships in X3 due to their flexibility and being able to dock at any station) however the ability to change ships would be very VERY velsome by people who like the freedom.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28