Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28

Author Topic: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)  (Read 49687 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)
« Reply #375 on: February 17, 2014, 02:28:25 pm »

So anyone else still playing this?

Granted in my case its TRYING to play this as I don't have the MINIMUM REQUIRED RAM, WTF WAS I THINKING? and I lag harder then a Ethiopian trying to play WoW.
Still its a pretty decent game, despite all the detractors.

It kinda reminds me of Two Worlds, in that the devs kinda shat out the NPCs from the ultimate genericism machine, and it lags hard on my system but it still has its own charm that keeps me coming back.
In Two Worlds that charm was the perma-potions, cool resurrection spells that let you create an undead army and generally feeding my need to be a munchkin.

In X-Rebirth its...well its SPACE. Seriously, even on the crappiest settings imaginable the space and ships just look SO GORGEOUS MY EYES NEARLY MELT.
Also I'm trying to take up piracy by boarding and selling Energy Freighters. Still on the first one because LAGGGGGGG, but its a fun experience so far.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 17, 2014, 02:35:23 pm »

I don't have much lag, but  it doesn't matter because I suck anyways. One of the first missions involves defending yourself from probes/drones/thatsortofthing and I died and immediately ragequit.

Shame because I was flying around thinking how gorgeous the game looked. Especially the exploded planet with its atmosphere still intact. 

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 17, 2014, 02:38:23 pm »

So anyone else still playing this?

I tried to pick it up again just before the latest patch - i.e. before the targeting buttons had been introduced (a design decision that still utterly baffles me).  Yes, it's a pretty game, but I couldn't get into it - the combat still kicks my backside due to the effort of trying to mouse-target something while mouse-steering to shoot at it, and the fact that my field of view is massively restricted due to the entirely non-functional cockpit bulkhead doesn't help either.

Yes, it's pretty.  But I didn't buy the game (just) for it to look pretty.  In terms of playability and depth, Albion Prelude leaves it far, far behind, drifting dead in space.

I've come to the reluctant decision that Rebirth is simply not for me.  It's a shame, and I'm achingly disappointed by it, but it's simply not the successor to the X series that I (personally) had hoped it would be.

Edit: ninja'd - yeah, the drone battle is immensely frustrating, because of the aforementioned targeting folly.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 17, 2014, 06:02:45 pm »

< Plays using a Xbox controller

PA-PA-POW! :P

Seriously, controller just makes it handle SOOOOO much better.
Doesn't stop the lag tho :(

Indeed, I do this.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 18, 2014, 09:05:51 am »

Well yes, I've seen someone make a rather convincing case that X-rebirth was originally intended for console, shelved, and then restructured as a pc game.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 18, 2014, 10:39:11 am »

Well yes, I've seen someone make a rather convincing case that X-rebirth was originally intended for console, shelved, and then restructured as a pc game.

Very well could be.
But frankly I think it makes a good PC game anyway, apart from the fact I don't have the specs to actually experience it properly :P

The generic NPCs and such could all be fixed by talented modders or just a decent update from the devs themselves, so I try and focus on the positives, and the positives are that its a GOOD space game.
Granted theres not all that much to compare it to, but its still good.

Indeed, I do this.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 18, 2014, 11:22:47 am »

Yeah, I have all faith that it will be patched up eventually, as egosoft always does. I'll buy it in a year or so.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 18, 2014, 07:07:02 pm »

Yeah, I have all faith that it will be patched up eventually, as egosoft always does. I'll buy it in a year or so.
Hopefully that's about when I'll have saved up the 850-ish dollars to build a decent fucking game rig :P

Indeed, I do this.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 20, 2014, 11:51:02 pm »

Sooo. This is on sale for 50% off. Would B12 recommend it? My friend had X3-TC and I was able to play it a bit, and I enjoyed it a great deal. I also happen to have roughly the amount required for purchase to spare after a bit of unusually well-compensated manual labor.

I've read you are limited to one ship in this one though for reasons. Does this lead to frustration? I never played the early X games this one emulates in having the one ship so I assume I will not like being stuck in one ship after flying around the various kinds in X3-TC.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #384 on: May 21, 2014, 12:08:39 am »

Sooo. This is on sale for 50% off. Would B12 recommend it? My friend had X3-TC and I was able to play it a bit, and I enjoyed it a great deal. I also happen to have roughly the amount required for purchase to spare after a bit of unusually well-compensated manual labor.

I've read you are limited to one ship in this one though for reasons. Does this lead to frustration? I never played the early X games this one emulates in having the one ship so I assume I will not like being stuck in one ship after flying around the various kinds in X3-TC.

It relaunched today as X: Rebirth 2.0

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/05/x-rebirth-relaunches-as-x-rebirth-2-0

Maybe they fixed it up?
I got nothing

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 21, 2014, 12:12:42 am »

Probably. It's standard Egosoft procedure.

However, X:rebirth was worse than usual, so you might want to wait for 3.0

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 21, 2014, 12:17:01 am »

Probably. It's standard Egosoft procedure.

However, X:rebirth was worse than usual, so you might want to wait for 3.0

On release there were only 3? sectors. Something like that. I would wait for 7.0... no, not really. I'd go back to the previous games and mod the heck out of them.

Raptomex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Pastime
« Reply #387 on: May 21, 2014, 12:25:48 am »

Is 2.0 worth it? I uninstalled the original game a while ago. Still looks inferior to it's predecessors.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #388 on: May 21, 2014, 12:37:28 am »

I would like to know REALLY what makes it so much inferior? Is it mainly the single ship thing? Or what?
I got nothing

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 21, 2014, 01:18:13 am »

I would like to know REALLY what makes it so much inferior? Is it mainly the single ship thing? Or what?
It was basically that they didn't know what made their previous games interesting, and removed those aspects accidentally. Instead of an expansive universe, you get a very small area of play, with very constricted routes through this area. Instead of being able to manage fleets and essentially become your own faction, you have to babysit your other ships. Within just a few hours of play, your personal ship is upgraded to the point of being able to take down capital ships; after which the game simply runs out of upgrades for you.

A single ship is just fine, even with less upgrades than this one had. In X3, I used the starting Mamba fighter the entire time I played. The difference between the two is that the Mamba felt good. It could perform well in combat due to excellent maneuverability, and had a first person view which was unimpeded. And the AI would use them too, so it wasn't like I was some special snowflake with deus ex machina powers magically imbued into my ship. Meanwhile, the ship in Rebirth is a plot asspull to explain why your ship is superman. But then it's about as fun to fly as a brick. It's given a crappy name which is even described as a prank in-universe and which every NPC points out and laughs at. (up until this recent update) It had about 50% of the screen obscured by "cockpit" which may as well have been dead pixels. And the UI was so awful you couldn't even tell which direction a hostile was in, or if there even were any. Not that it matters, because again, your ship is superman; which means combat is so dull and menial as to be meaningless and actually boring. And then there was the NPC 'co-pilot' who was less endearing than opening your clothes drawer and finding each and every one of your socks stuffed with a mixture of slugs and severed baby fingers. So yeah, I would be perfectly fine with a single ship if it were merely a mundane, run-of-the-mill Mamba or something.

Overall, it wasn't really any one thing, it was just a case of horrendous design decisions piled on top of one another.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28