Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28

Author Topic: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)  (Read 49741 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)
« Reply #330 on: November 19, 2013, 03:02:27 am »

Word on the grapevine is that the game is "poorly optimized," resulting in anyone without a monster of a graphics card (but well beyond the recommended specs) experiencing a lot of lag.

Any truth to this? Either way, I'm downloading Terran Conflict now and will have to be content with that. ^.^

Thanks for the recommendations!

Terran conflict is probably a good choice if you haven't played the series yet.

As for lag, it hasn't been an issue for me, I have a GTX 570 / i5 / 8Go ram and it seems to be doing fine. I think it was more something along the lines of "people with poorly optimized rigs are having issues" (things like top notch gfx cards with relatively low ram or poor cpu).

Right now though, I'm kinda sad about losing my quicksave from yesterday (loading it crashes the game...) :(

My GPU is a humble  GT 635, if that cheers you up in any way.

Word on the grapevine is that the game is "poorly optimized," resulting in anyone without a monster of a graphics card (but well beyond the recommended specs) experiencing a lot of lag.

Any truth to this? Either way, I'm downloading Terran Conflict now and will have to be content with that. ^.^

Thanks for the recommendations!
Mind you, even Terran Conflict is best played with a few basic mods. That should help you avoid getting bugs like missions with implausible completion times.

Anything in mind? I bought the game from Steam, which until recently I had used very seldom, but from what I've heard has a dedicated modding community. Hopefully I can get my hands on the essentials...
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #331 on: November 19, 2013, 03:41:29 am »

Any truth to this?

That's backwards. Anyone with a monster of a graphics card is going to experience way more lag than other people. It's poorly optimized for high-end graphics cards. According to what's being said, mid-range cards are optimal right now.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 19, 2013, 05:21:19 am »

Anything in mind? I bought the game from Steam, which until recently I had used very seldom, but from what I've heard has a dedicated modding community. Hopefully I can get my hands on the essentials...

Mods... let's see...

I will not talk about total conversions aside of mentioning XRM (very combat oriented with pirate sectors being deathzones) and DDTC (shipyard missions that give you a M6+ as a reward ONCE per game and a giant selection of drones for just about every purpouse).

Now essentials (you will have to google them yourself because i'd have to have link a LOT here).

Plugin Manager - Good for installing and uninstalling scripts withoug having to reinstall the entire game (you will probably have to do that quite often).
WARNING does not play well with DDTC and XRM... or any large mods for that matter but works like a charm with normal scripts and ALife plugins.

Commercial agent - You want it because it makes supporting a factory complex that much easier. And you WILL want to have running factories at some point.

Economic and Supply Dealer - Makes sure (or tries at least) the factories in his designated work zone are well stocked with resources (good to have running in sectors with weapon/shield factories because those cna become scarce otherwise).

Prospector - An actually working mining mod that causes your ships to *gasp* MINE ore from asteroid chinks AND actually SELL them. Thay can also be linked to a station for "free" ore supply.

Bounce - If you want to have a large fighter fleet. It's a mod that changes hit detection and prevents fighters from crashing into enemy capships. Skip if you don't want to become a carrier warlord.

MARS - Very usefull for everyone. Makes fighter drones and turrets MUCH smarter basically turning ships or M6 and higher class into drone carriers the drones are infact so smart that they can even grab abandones ships and crates for you (you will have to cap'n'dock any ship they drag over manually tho.

ADS - automates your carriers.

Yaki armada - Makes Yaki much smarter. Lets them send incursions into Argon/Paranid sectors (Can use ADS for enhanced carrier AI).
Pirate Guild - Makes the pirates much smarter. (can use ADS for base protection)

Ok there are probably more "essential" mods out there but i just can't remember right now.
But believe me there are TONS of mods out there that you might find interesting.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2013, 06:18:56 am »

- Snipped 'cause long -

I actually agree here, it seems to me that most systems that are needed to make the game very good are actually there. The problem is that most of it is hidden underneath a horribly clunky interface that doesn't give nearly enough control or information about what is happening.

The freighter trade system is the prime example. The ship is obviously capable of independent action, buying and selling wares while you're not there, however there is seemingly no way to actually get it to act independently. There is also a horrible lack of information on what it's actually doing. Just displaying "Status: waiting for free dock" or somesuch in the ship status window would alleviate so many issues. Obviously, it's absolutely imperative that we get some way to have freighters act independently and remotely give them orders. Without this the whole trading game falls apart into something even more boring and tedious than manual trading in X3.

The squadron system for ships from X3 should also make a return, so that you could get fighter wings that protect your capital ships. I actually managed to claim a fighter once and assigned it to the command of my freighter captain after which it proceeded to do nothing at all. Either that or it was just waiting for orders. The point is that with the current interface, there is no way to tell if your ships are actually waiting for something to do or are somehow set up wrongly.

There's also the fact that the Skunk (horrible name IMO, but eh, personal preference) is very boring. I don't mind being stuck in one ship, but now that we are, it should at least be somewhat customisable. No, upgrading your stuff from Mk 1 through 5 or whatever is not enough. This is something that I don't doubt will come in due time, though, not least from modders.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2013, 08:46:23 am »

So just watched Scott Manley play this and looked at all the awesomeness (this is kinda EXACTLY what I wanted out of a space adventure game) and suddenly I want to buy the crap out of this.

However looking at the Min/Recommended specs I notice that while I'm good for most of them, I don't have enough free RAM for even the MINIMUM.
How big of an issue would this become?

I would like to avoid deleting half my computer or getting a new hard drive and thus effectively deleting ALL my computer (note: I am only vaguely aware of how all this works, mostly from Xbox 360. I am new to the master race :P)

So considering the minimum is 4 gigs and I have... I think it was 3.5 or 3.6 free, how bad would this screw me?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 19, 2013, 08:59:45 am »

So just watched Scott Manley play this and looked at all the awesomeness (this is kinda EXACTLY what I wanted out of a space adventure game) and suddenly I want to buy the crap out of this.

However looking at the Min/Recommended specs I notice that while I'm good for most of them, I don't have enough free RAM for even the MINIMUM.
How big of an issue would this become?

I would like to avoid deleting half my computer or getting a new hard drive and thus effectively deleting ALL my computer (note: I am only vaguely aware of how all this works, mostly from Xbox 360. I am new to the master race :P)

So considering the minimum is 4 gigs and I have... I think it was 3.5 or 3.6 free, how bad would this screw me?

That 4GB is RAM requirements and not hard drive storage space, the game only uses 5GB space on the hard drive here.

You also need 64 bit Windows, i think you only have 32 bit as its only showing 3.5GB free ram.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:05:44 am by foil »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 19, 2013, 09:27:38 am »

No I have the 64 bit and the "memory" section that I saw in my system whatnots listed me as having 3.5 or 3.6 RAM memory. (which is redundant because RAM means Random Access Memory....how I know this and not what my requirements are is beyond me :P)

Indeed, I do this.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2013, 09:55:41 am »

Strange that you have 3.6 gigs of Ram, as they usually come in sticks of 1 g/2gb each.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 19, 2013, 10:17:40 am »

Strange that you have 3.6 gigs of Ram, as they usually come in sticks of 1 g/2gb each.
That's what I have FREE, as in what isn't being used by the rest of my various stuffs.
I assumed that was what I should look at for compatability.

Indeed, I do this.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 19, 2013, 10:28:36 am »

Nah, total ram should suffice, unless you have an extraordinary amount of Ram being used by the operating system.

So it should work, and even if Ram is the problem, replacing it usually isn't that expensive. Ram cards are pretty interchangeable.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 19, 2013, 10:32:37 am »

Well, that latest patch makes it moderately playable now. Added quicksave/quickload and save-anywhere ability.

That was already in.  What else was added?
It wasn't in at launch. I checked early on, and saving was greyed out when I was flying around. And I don't recall seeing the quicksave option before yesterday.

Also, their fixes sound quite like they may actually be fixing stuff: http://steamcommunity.com/app/2870/discussions/0/648811852275929537/
That's quite the robust list there, and does show a willingness to change quite a bit of the game to make it less terrible.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 19, 2013, 11:31:03 am »

Nah, total ram should suffice, unless you have an extraordinary amount of Ram being used by the operating system.

So it should work, and even if Ram is the problem, replacing it usually isn't that expensive. Ram cards are pretty interchangeable.

be careful with your advice here, RAM is one of the things that's easy to get wrong if you don't know what you're doing when you're ordering. differing numbers of pins mean it might not fit, or the wrong speed could even mean it'd fit and work but ultimately slow down your computer.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 19, 2013, 11:37:29 am »

fitting more then 4 gb of ram into a computer that runs a 32bit windows doesnt make sense anyhow. youll never see more then 3.5gb.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 19, 2013, 11:42:10 am »

fitting more then 4 gb of ram into a computer that runs a 32bit windows doesnt make sense anyhow. youll never see more then 3.5gb.
Well, If you're using a 32 bit windows edition, I wouldn't buy X rebirth. 32 bit is not supported, and IIRC, often won't save.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 19, 2013, 12:14:12 pm »

yeah well. if his os shows him 3.x gb ram, its 32 bit. no matter what he thinks he has.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28