Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28

Author Topic: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)  (Read 49749 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)
« Reply #315 on: November 18, 2013, 03:28:39 pm »

X3:TC.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #316 on: November 18, 2013, 03:39:39 pm »

EVE Online  ;)
I got nothing

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 18, 2013, 03:58:03 pm »

EVE Online  ;)

That's even more unstable (players can wreck the economy for everyone) than X3 and certainly more expensive.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #318 on: November 18, 2013, 03:59:20 pm »

Trying to enjoy this game is like trying to have a nice brisk jog with pebbles in both of your shoes.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 18, 2013, 04:23:59 pm »

X3:TC.
Either this, or Albion Prelude.

Terran conflict is better in my opinion, and is much more freeform. Albion prelude has an entire war going on.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #320 on: November 18, 2013, 04:27:17 pm »

Hey

hey

hey guys

I am still having a blast playing this game. I don't know what you all are going on about, but I am sure having tons of fun.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #321 on: November 18, 2013, 09:46:27 pm »

Yeah, I'm actually enjoying X Rebirth as well. A lot of things are being blown out of proportion, and some reviews are outright false (I recall the "Worth it or Not?" video linked in this thread specifically).

For example, if you actually spend time playing the game, you'll find out there a ton of different station layouts (that is, internally), there are more voices, there are a lot of areas, etc.

Also, not sure about the hate on the station-building. I haven't gotten there yet, but it makes sense. As opposed to the previous X Games, where you could build anywhere in a sector, and the game just loaded different sectors you were in, X Rebirth is practically fully-open; there's no dedicated "sectors" (now zones), and you can fly between zones without the use of the highways. I believe that you can also fly between sectors (which is just a space housing a group of zones and highways) without the use of super highways. Allowing the player to build stations anywhere would almost be a poor decision choice in that matter. Like I said, I haven't gotten to station building, but if you have minor freedom placing the stations in a given zone, it's functionally the same thing as in previous X Games. Otherwise, you're not losing much at all with that loss of freedom, given that there are no longer gates like in previous X Games, just highways which you can access by pathing into and out of them rather than having to go through an entrance or exit (although you can still do that).

Also, the "trader getting stuck" bug is blown way out of proportion. This is less of a functionality bug and more of a "the player doesn't understand what's going on" and "it's taking too damn long" issue, which are issues but it's not a game-breaking bug. The trade ships get queued up behind NPC trade ships and your ship just looks like its sitting there when it's waiting in queue (which can unfortunately take a very long time, and the lack of SETA doesn't help). It can also be a bit quirky and only queue up for one of the docks rather than any available dock, apparently. So, it's still an issue, but it's not a game-breaking bug like everyone is complaining about. There *is* an actual game-breaking bug regarding trade ships, but this is a far more rare issue than people complaining that their trade ship is stuck during the tutorial. It's an actually legitimate bug.

People will also hear a lot of complaining about how they can run every other game on max settings at 60 fps but Rebirth is nothing on and ~30 fps. This is another issue Egosoft is looking into, and it has to do with non-optimization for high-end rigs. I have an upper-mid-, lower-high-end rig, and while I do have some issues, the game runs well with minor hiccups most of the time.

There are also some misunderstandings about crew. For example, you can't hire a captain for your own ship. They don't count as a crewmember for the Albion Skunk, because you, the player, are the captain of that ship. However, you can hire a mechanic who will show up on your ship because they are an actual crewmember. You remote contact the captains, pilots, etc. because you usually only contact them when you're aboard another vessel where you want them to work and therefore wouldn't meet them in person on your ship beforehand.

Also, for the XBox 360 stuff, can anyone confirm that isn't just about XBox 360 controller support, given that Egosoft is cooperating with Steam to push for controller support for Big Picture mode, like they did recently with X3: AP, and that the XBox 360 controller is still the most widely supported controller for the PC?

So there are bugs, there are CTDs, the voice-acting is bad, the character animations need to be fixed, there are performance issues, but the game is definitely playable. The only real issue is with design choices, and some of the bigger issues people have (like the lack of auto-trade for cargo ships) may be able to be fixed without that much hassle.

I think the biggest thing is that X Rebirth got AAA reception, AAA hype and expectations, and what ended up happening was a 16-man dev team that was split up for working on multiple titles with little financial support that's known for poor voice-acting and character animations released a very buggy BBB title.

toady is a small independent, a company with a few dozen dev guys and a flock of testers & QA guys from a publishing company is not

but hey i guess that's just in my world
egosoft is not a 'small independent'

even if they were, what kind of response would you prefer from 'the gaming culture'? gee thanks for this $50 turd egosoft, may we please have some more?

16 devs isn't small independent when it operates by itself and is not a subsidiary of a larger company or under a giant umbrella publisher? Or when those 16 devs are split up working on a number of other games instead of just X Rebirth?
As for a response, I would have preferred how people reacted to Spore. "Gee thanks for this game that we thought was going to be ridiculously better but we should have expected otherwise, our bad."

Also, I don't think Deep Silver has any QA. They mostly do international ports and marketing in Germany, so good job being just completely wrong on everything.

TBH i think they spent the last years actually making the game, and most part of those 7 years of development they were making the new engine. that's why the game looks so shallow. they spent more time with the engine (graphics among all) and didnt focus in actually putting the game in a playable state...

Most of the 7 years of development was making the engine with a much smaller group of devs while most of the team worked on releases that could actually bring in money working off of an engine they developed in the 90's. After X3R and X3TC, they gradually began shifting manpower over to X Rebirth. After X3AP, released in 2011, they switched their priorities to mostly working on X Rebirth given that they could survive long enough until they release it. The only other thing they were working on was a big update for X3AP and patch support for X3AP and X3TC.

There are "small independants" that released games that were not as buggy as this and that actually fulfilled the expectations people had. It's not really an excuse.

Name one indie studio that released a AAA game in the past 8 years or so. I would be extremely surprised if you could.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 18, 2013, 10:52:08 pm »

Spore was shit and everyone expected better out of Will Wright. Better as in "this guy should be able to fend off EA bigwigs/idiots." You're still defending company expectations when the company should be improving its history, not going par for the course. Will had a good reputation up front. Egosoft has a decent reputation 2 years after release... kinda... sorta... but it's not great. Problems never fixed except by modders, as people have covered already.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #323 on: November 18, 2013, 11:03:54 pm »

The thing is, considering they don't have very good financial security, I could understand them releasing a buggy product just to get an injection of cash into their company.
No, it's not good, no it's not ideal, no, as a consumer I do not appreciate it, but from a business standpoint I can understand. The big thing here is that they aren't being dicks about it, they are supporting the buggy product so that it will be a good product. I also haven't seen them pull any EA/Maxis SimCity or Gearbox Aliens: Colonial Marines bullshit with this release (even though people are acting like it), so that's another point in their favor.

Also, I'm not defending company expectations in that "They release bugs, you shouldn't have expected different", I was defending company expectations in that "They are a small dev team without financial support that you see from most of the other studios, stop expecting AAA out of them." The voice acting and character animations, though, I do really think they should have improved on considering how big of a deal it is in this game compared to previous ones, but the fact that they didn't is par and people shouldn't have gotten their hopes up even if Egosoft should have improved.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 19, 2013, 12:36:11 am »

Well, that latest patch makes it moderately playable now. Added quicksave/quickload and save-anywhere ability.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #325 on: November 19, 2013, 12:41:31 am »

Well, that latest patch makes it moderately playable now. Added quicksave/quickload and save-anywhere ability.

That was already in.  What else was added?

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 19, 2013, 02:14:12 am »

I'm still playing it too. Sure there are many issues but the game is still enjoyable. When I think about it, X3 was pretty similar to X2, many things were re-used, and the same is true for X3:TC and X3:AP. Most of the content of the game was the same. Now it's pretty much all new.

Was I expecting more ? yea ! But as long as I have fun with it, even if it's half broken, I'll play it, and then wait for all the patches and mods to fix and improve it.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 19, 2013, 02:18:47 am »

Word on the grapevine is that the game is "poorly optimized," resulting in anyone without a monster of a graphics card (but well beyond the recommended specs) experiencing a lot of lag.

Any truth to this? Either way, I'm downloading Terran Conflict now and will have to be content with that. ^.^

Thanks for the recommendations!
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 19, 2013, 02:44:08 am »

Word on the grapevine is that the game is "poorly optimized," resulting in anyone without a monster of a graphics card (but well beyond the recommended specs) experiencing a lot of lag.

Any truth to this? Either way, I'm downloading Terran Conflict now and will have to be content with that. ^.^

Terran conflict is probably a good choice if you haven't played the series yet.

As for lag, it hasn't been an issue for me, I have a GTX 570 / i5 / 8Go ram and it seems to be doing fine. I think it was more something along the lines of "people with poorly optimized rigs are having issues" (things like top notch gfx cards with relatively low ram or poor cpu).

Right now though, I'm kinda sad about losing my quicksave from yesterday (loading it crashes the game...) :(

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 19, 2013, 02:49:09 am »

Mind you, even Terran Conflict is best played with a few basic mods. That should help you avoid getting bugs like missions with implausible completion times.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28