Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28

Author Topic: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)  (Read 49739 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)
« Reply #300 on: November 18, 2013, 12:21:15 pm »

toady is one guy and his brother that work in a cellar on their hobby project. they live on donations.
if anything bigger is large, you live in an odd world indeed.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 18, 2013, 12:41:58 pm »

all i'm trying to say is that the size of this company is not a valid excuse for their incompetent game design...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 18, 2013, 12:43:38 pm »

There are "small independants" that released games that were not as buggy as this and that actually fulfilled the expectations people had. It's not really an excuse.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 18, 2013, 01:03:36 pm »

yeah. best they could have done is proalby to shut down egosoft and produced yet another 2d retro game.
how cute.
see, im not happy this games runs so slow. on the other hand, studios of this size do have very limited ressources. and indeed i think, the problem are peoples expectations, not the reality they dont like. im pretty sure this game will become a great game with time.
and all the pissed "long time fan ever since x1 serious but now im so dissapointed so you owe me!" folks will them become the " i always belived in the game and bought it at release" guys.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 18, 2013, 01:11:24 pm »

strawmen strawmen~

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 18, 2013, 01:29:10 pm »

Truly, I'm willing to accept quite a lot of egosoft. I'm willing to ignore any performance issues of any kind, weird voice acting, and most bugs that don't make the game unplayable.

Still, there seem to be some promises that simply haven't been delivered upon. Upgrading of the Albion, which was a supposedly major thing, appears to be limited to upgrading your 5 weapons and several utilities (mining laser) from Mk1 to Mk5.  I mean, individual ships in X3 had more moddability.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 18, 2013, 01:36:42 pm »

yeah. im with you on this.
yet, i still think its kind of unfair to compare it to x3 instead of x1.
x3 had a decade of improvements.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 18, 2013, 01:39:30 pm »

Then why didn't XR build up on these improvements?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 18, 2013, 01:42:31 pm »

Because the entire point of X rebirth was to well, scratch everything and start over again. I mean, the X series had accumulated some major fundamental design problems*. Major parts of that have been redone, with the result being a very shiny X game, but question remains how they will tackle the new issues that arisen. Hopefully, Egosoft will tackle most of the gamecrashing bugs, while some modders take care of the customization issue.

*The aforementioned AI crashing, some stability trouble, some UI trouble.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 18, 2013, 01:49:30 pm »

TBH i think they spent the last years actually making the game, and most part of those 7 years of development they were making the new engine. that's why the game looks so shallow. they spent more time with the engine (graphics among all) and didnt focus in actually putting the game in a playable state...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 18, 2013, 02:10:47 pm »

There's no excuse for delivering a broken game to the public, and having a reputation for it is a very ridiculous goal to aim for.

I find it very interesting the fact that what they "scratched out" are things that gave problems in the past, like building anywhere, autopilot and even SETA (specially in X2 in which the ships would hit the station instead of going for it's hanger door, sometimes while in full SETA) - they found workarounds for things but didn't fix those fix at all.

"But the fans will accept it" - and what about the public? You're making a game ONLY for your fanbase? Your comfort zone? Publicly stating that you're unable and unwilling to make the game interesting to the general public?

How many X games did they make and STILL they repeat the same mistakes?

The game might be fixed and repainted but trying to give props to egosoft for making broken games repeatedly and fixing it along is just weird and sounds like fan stuff to me.
I like the X Games a lot, enough to understand that I saw the same mistakes over and over again.

In other words: it's not necessary to hate the game or the developers, but defending blindly will not make it better.
Things should be seen as they are and they should work from there.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 18, 2013, 02:23:13 pm »

not like the fans accepting it.
quite the opposite: fans not getting what they expected are the problem imo.
would not call the game broken even... sure, performance is bad, but its clearly not unplayable.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 18, 2013, 02:37:44 pm »

they have one game. they consist of a hand full of employees. their game production costs range in the lower millions, not the houndreds of millions.
what else are they in your world?

The vast majority of the issues are not with bugs.  If they were, I'd actually be more okay with that than I am - I'm a long time Egosoft fan, I knew to expect a buggy launch.  (By the way, etgfrog, the map-screen-not-loading glitch can be worked around by leaving the cockpit and then re-entering again via the door, rather than via the menu).

Most of the issues are game design, rather than bugs.  And even for a company with a good(ish) record of fixing bugs, fixing the basic fundamental game design is not something that you can expect.

Yes, this game will be around for years.  It will likely sit in my Steam account, unplayed for most of those years, while I get the various aspects of enjoyment it provides from other games that do them much, much better.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 18, 2013, 02:57:35 pm »

Hey let's not forget that X3 (and the followups) also had a unintuitive menu shallow AI (seriously try running a complex with basic freighter AI and see just how stupid they are).

Reunion also has a ton of problems but some of htem will most likely fixed by patching while others will get taken care of by modders since the game is (advertised at least) responsive to modding.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 18, 2013, 03:12:34 pm »

This game was recommended to me by a couple of friends (neither of whom have had the chance to play, but both long-time fans of the X series), but from the sounds of things, it might not be a good investment, especially for a newcomer like myself looking for some gratification today.

Would anyone here be willing to recommend a particularly good, stable installment of the X series..?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28