Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30

Author Topic: Heirship: A Suggestion Game  (Read 29437 times)

Plato Play-Doh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heirship: A Suggestion Game
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2013, 09:53:21 am »

+1 to all of the above.

Also, everyone has emotional moments Gerv. No need to apologize, just don't take this epicness away again! (Except at gunpoint. Maybe.)

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2013, 10:20:28 am »

+1 to the above as well.

The game flow is fine from what I can see. Like Got said, it's kind of like early lordship at this point. For the time being, going slowly as a child is the best chance we have to make sure he ends up with the kind of traits that will make a good ruler.

Also, are we big enough to viably be able to take on the bully? If we are I suggest we do so to establish ourselves as the dominate male among the children (as is our right being the heir and all). :)
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 16, 2013, 12:48:47 pm »

+1 to the above as well.

The game flow is fine from what I can see. Like Got said, it's kind of like early lordship at this point. For the time being, going slowly as a child is the best chance we have to make sure he ends up with the kind of traits that will make a good ruler.

Also, are we big enough to viably be able to take on the bully? If we are I suggest we do so to establish ourselves as the dominate male among the children (as is our right being the heir and all). :)

Well we have our wooden sword zoo... Yeah, knock him out.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2013, 06:01:35 pm »

As others already have told you, it is fine as it is.

You get some nice atmosphere going, without getting too wordy - thats some skill there. The story so far is engaging, and while it does have a somewhat slow pace, it is very called for. We want to endear Isaac to us, and this seems like one of the best ways to do so. By this modus operandi whe shape his character, the "world" and his skills, all in one nice package. So yeah, don't you go beating yourself up over it.

Else, +1 to beating up that bully.
He can't even go to his father - or rather, that one can't complain to our parents about it. :P Plus, "known" troublemaker? Fair game, I tell you. ;3

Good point; Rally the others against him!
Show what you are made off! But, do get a few hits in.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:06:18 pm by escaped lurker »

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2013, 06:51:23 pm »

Rally the oppressed, mocked, and injured by this bully and mob him with fists and boots!

Also why has mom not told us more about dad yet? is it still the same day?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2013, 06:59:34 pm »

Rally the oppressed, mocked, and injured by this bully and mob him with fists and boots!
+1, lead the children against the oppressor!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2013, 08:18:21 pm »

Roleplay II -- Part 7
Nick the book

You grip your wooden sword angrily to confront Cadmon about his behaviour. However, before you can act, you are interrupted by Hammy Cook climbing upstairs with Goswin in tow, both bellowing at the top of their lungs for Jack. Hammy announces that Jack has won the meat pie but won't come out of hiding, and then he whines loudly that everyone should be helping him end the game. "I caught you. That's the rules!" Hammy says, smacking his chubby fist; he spots the worm still wriggling in Cadmon's hand, and he continues. "But if you want worms like that in your bowls of stew, stay up here the whole day for all I care! You know I can put them in there!" In the general rush to the staircase, you spare just enough time to fetch the old book.

Everyone spreads out hallooing and shouting to Jack that his hiding is no longer all in good fun. You are not sure how much time passes, but children begin trickling back into the Great Hall in bewildered defeat. There's no point in Jack hiding any more. You all agree that he must surely reveal himself by supper, else he will lose his prize. To spite Jack and his poor sportmanship, all the children make a specific point of forgetting him and playing normally.

During this period, you inspect the old book that you brought down from the attic and find, unsurprisingly, that it is filled with pages upon pages of handwriting that is indecipherable to a five year-old. However, as you flip through the pages in an effort to find some pictures, you are modestly rewarded when a loose leaf of aged vellum, apparently having survived at least one inferno in its lifetime, falls out. On it is drawing that does indeed have faded but pretty colours, yet you remain unsure what the picture is supposed to represent.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Supper comes and goes without a victorious Jack Scamp claiming his meat pie. Evening falls, and Jack's mother and father cannot find him either, and they sit a lonely vigil in the Great Hall as the ungodly hours of the night creep near. You are in your chamber, about to lay yourself down to sleep, when the sobbing cries of a frightened young boy begin to emanate seemingly out of the stones in the walls and echo everywhere in the castle.

The entire castle comes awake, and even the adults are assembling into search parties, their candles and torches guttering in the drafty halls and casting writhing black phantoms on the walls. The sobbing continues, sometimes a screech, sometimes little more than a low moan. You despair of finding poor Jack in the dark corridors, and yet you also despair of sleeping tonight with such ghastly noises seeping out of the very bricks of the Keep. How will you help?

Impossible? Perhaps not. Pick a floor to help search, and the dice must decide. Oh, and Theodolus, you were right that Cadmon could be confronted for an increase to Leadership, but there was only one action left before Hammy returned, and most people seem to want the book instead. (And that was the very thing that delayed posting this update, btw. I didn't expect to be drawing that map for a week or more.)

The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2013, 08:22:11 pm »

Who else saw this coming from the first paragraph?

Search the upper levels, near where we were playing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 16, 2013, 08:25:20 pm »

As children scatter away in various directions from the great hall, you glance at Jack Scamp running toward a side stairway that spirals up to the bedchambers on the second and third floors.

As we had promised to be more observant, I'll bring up this quote and suggest that we tell an adult where we saw him running to.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 16, 2013, 08:26:23 pm »

+1 to both

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2013, 07:50:34 am »

Ghost of a Chance -- Coda
Search the upper levels, near where we were playing.
we tell an adult where we saw him running to

You seek out your mother, and find the Countess already down in the great hall, bleary-eyed but busy, organising a search party while also trying to reassure Jack's panicking mother and father. You tell her that you last saw Jack climbing upstairs, and she nods and leads the group up. As you all ascend, Jack's cries seem to fade out a bit, and his parents lose control of their worry and shout that everyone is going the wrong way. Their poor baby must be in the cellars! They and many sympathetic searchers peel off to scour the lower levels.

Lady Marna continues onward to the second and third floors and orders the remaining searchers to tap on the walls and floors, to overturn the beds and to move the furniture. A dark crawl space is quickly found to be sandwiched between part of the second and third floors, and an advisor explains to Marna that the castle has been expanded and renovated many times over the centuries, and numerous irregular-shaped empty spaces like this were sealed off rather than be torn down and risk structural collapse. 

After hallooing into the dark crevice for a minute, the searchers give up; with a sigh and a glance around at the ransacked third floor, Marna shrugs at you and leads them downstairs. You, however, are certain that you saw Jack Scamp go upstairs, and you refuse to follow after the receding torchlight of Mother's search party. The dark closes in around you.

You have begun to explore an unfamiliar place within the castle, so impenetrably dark that your arms and legs have been reduced to mere concepts and intuitions. All your senses fail you here, except your hearing. The distant crying of Jack never stops. In fact, it only grows louder, and your little heart pounds in your chest as you realise that Jack is coming for you this time. He found the other children and took them back to his secret home. Now he wants you. You pump your unseen legs frantically in the pitch black, but you can feel yourself moving nowhere at all. There is nothing you can do. Jack is approaching.

You awake with a racing heartbeart and whirling thoughts. The sobbing cries have followed you out of your nightmare, and they persist in the waking realm. Jack has followed you back into the land of the living. You whisper to the darkness. "Leave me alone, Jack. You're dead these three months."

Outside, a door opens and the source of the sobbing runs down the corridor, screaming in tears, "Jack-in-the-Wall wants to carry me away!" Her mother rushes out and stifle her screams, while other parents glare at what could easily become another cascade of wailing children scaring each other senseless again, and indeed many parents themselves make signs of the cross to ward away Jack-in-the-Wall, the ghost of Curbiston Keep.

Suggestions weren't bad, just hard rolls and bad results. By way of trivia, the one certain way to keep Jack alive was only available at the very beginning. Follow Jack to his perfect spot. Otherwise, by fate you could have picked the floor that he chose and seen enough of his path to narrow the search very much down. Had he lived, he'd have been an adorable little scamp with a habit for getting into interesting places, starting with... well, his resting place, I suppose! Heheh. And next up, it seems we have the much-awaited Turn 2... Huzzah.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2013, 08:06:00 am »

What a cheerful update.
Sig

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2013, 08:15:52 am »

Who else saw this coming from the first paragraph?

Well, if you mean you saw this coming from the first paragraph of Part 1, GWG, then I think that is being a little unfair to me. I'd point out that Jack was introduced in the third paragraph, so any earlier claim would have to leave me a bit incredulous. On the other hand, guessing the general thrust of the events after Jack blurts out, "I know just the place! You'll never find me!" ...

Famous last words, as they say. Albeit I suppose you can still find him.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2013, 08:19:12 am »

You're taking the wrong meaning from that. Firstly, I posted that before you posted Jack's death. I meant specifically that Jack was going to be lost.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 30