Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 72310 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Airship Combat: Now with More, probably hard to follow, Tutorials
« Reply #375 on: July 25, 2013, 04:17:39 pm »

I looked into his 3d game thing.

Nope.

Also his wargame thing, the grid part at least, seemed designed a lot more around terrain then anything else. And I have no idea why he would favor the combination octagon-hex board. The rule changes behind such a thing would be horrible; changing depending on what type of grid you're on, unable to move in a straight line without weaving like a drunk through extra hexes and squares. I've read it over and it seems like he's more interested in perfect statistical and geometric spreads then actually being something that makes sense and is easy to use. But maybe thats just my impression.

The octagon board might work though. I'll look at it. Though, to be honest, I don't see how it's different from right now. We're moving and shooting in 8 directions now anyways.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 25, 2013, 04:22:57 pm »

The difference?

Octagonal >> 2 sq NorthEast = 1 sq North, 1 sq East.

What we have now >> 1 sq NorthEast = 1 sq North, 1 sq East.

Also, I loved the combination Octagon-Hex board. Not because it is usable in any way, but because of how hilarious it is. Especially with all the different colors.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 04:25:13 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 25, 2013, 04:27:24 pm »

Oddly enough, I made a suggestion for how to counter that: Take the commonly-used route of making diagonals cost double.

Incidentally, that's farther from real math than diagonals being one space--the square root of two is a bit over 1.41, which is closer to 1 than 2.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 25, 2013, 04:29:53 pm »

The problem with making stuff cost double is odd movement.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 25, 2013, 04:35:12 pm »

And how is that not a problem for the octagonal thing suggested by whatsitsface? The guy clearly said you weren't to stop on squares.

And, as noted, another issue is that it's farther from reality that diagonals being 1.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #380 on: July 25, 2013, 04:43:56 pm »

The difference?

Also, I loved the combination Octagon-Hex board. Not because it is usable in any way, but because of how hilarious it is. Especially with all the different colors.
Oh, so you count the squares as a movement but you can't stop on them...That leads to the problem that all movement values have to be even. If not you're either going to end up on squares, or you're not gonna be able to use all your movement points

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 25, 2013, 04:44:26 pm »

And how is that not a problem for the octagonal thing suggested by whatsitsface? The guy clearly said you weren't to stop on squares.

And, as noted, another issue is that it's farther from reality that diagonals being 1.
?? You skip the squares. Yes. You don't skip the octagons.
When you play square grid, an odd movement consting double does not work.

As for them being closer to one, that is true, but two is better for a strategy game (unless you can find some 1.5 grid  :-\) for one simple reason. It is while being less realistic, also less exploitable. If not being able to catch up to a person running away diagonally and fire your cannons at him is not a major design flaw, then I don't know what is. Doubling movement may cause you to be a little more sluggish, but it beats the alternative.

The difference?

Oh, so you count the squares as a movement but you can't stop on them...That leads to the problem that all movement values have to be even. If not you're either going to end up on squares, or you're not gonna be able to use all your movement points
I seriously don't understand what's so hard to understand here. You skip the squares and you don't count them for movement.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 25, 2013, 04:48:18 pm »

Hm. Now that I think about it, the octagonal grid does have the same problems as the square one, except that the straight movement paths are basically the diagonals. Actually... maybe give an extra space of movement in diagonals if you're moving two or more spaces?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 25, 2013, 04:58:02 pm »

Hm. Now that I think about it, the octagonal grid does have the same problems as the square one, except that the straight movement paths are basically the diagonals. Actually... maybe give an extra space of movement in diagonals if you're moving two or more spaces?
Basically what 3.5 D&D does?
Sig

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #384 on: July 25, 2013, 05:27:48 pm »

The difference?

I seriously don't understand what's so hard to understand here. You skip the squares and you don't count them for movement.
Whats hard to understand is:

I was thinking in terms of movement not absolute relative location. I was wondering why you were saying that moving 2 squares north east would require you to move one north, then one east, rather then just moving 2 in the NE direction. I just misunderstood the context of what you were saying.

Now, in terms of this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ta2hyjsaxc64grm/arc.png

The reason I suggested it was because, as you can see, it somewhat simulates the turning arc of the cannons as the ship transitions across 45 degrees. Basically, if the ship is turning slowly as it moves along it's path, then it's cannons should sweep and allow shots from any of these angles. That way, even though, movement wise the ship is just going in straight lines, the cannons still turn when the ship turns, in an abstract way. Oh well.

I think I'll stick with a grid, but I'll fool around and try to figure out how to do it better.

Unless of course the whole "arcs" thing isn't something people like and they'd prefer just the straight lines and sharp movement, even though it's more abstract.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 25, 2013, 05:28:12 pm »

Toastarrr:  Finish cannon loading.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 25, 2013, 05:40:00 pm »

I'm okay with a sharp arc as the ship turns. I'm okay with what we have now. The problem I have with what you're proposing is that it's hard to see at a glance where the borders are. Even after you clarified it, I am still not sure if their ship would hit ours. Also, the drawing looks awful. I can stomach ships that look like peanuts, but Paint is definitely not prepared to do arcs.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #387 on: July 25, 2013, 05:49:14 pm »

I'm okay with a sharp arc as the ship turns. I'm okay with what we have now. The problem I have with what you're proposing is that it's hard to see at a glance where the borders are. Even after you clarified it, I am still not sure if their ship would hit ours. Also, the drawing looks awful. I can stomach ships that look like peanuts, but Paint is definitely not prepared to do arcs.
It's not the program, it's just me.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 25, 2013, 05:53:17 pm »

It's not the program, it's just me.
I'm trying to be nice, okay?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #389 on: July 25, 2013, 07:04:01 pm »

RED
See if I can't take a machine gun and take it out of the deck mount, so I can shoot from another part of the ship, Halo style.
[T4 R1 S0]
NOOOOPE

No changes to turning. Speed down to two.

Try to treat myself, with the glass shards and all.
You yell down instructions to Draco about how to adjust the engines.
[T4 R7 S3]
Unfortunately you accidentally reverse two processes. No harm done, but the ship stays on it's course.
[T2 R6 S3]
You do however manage to pick the glass out of your arms and bandage the bigger gashes. Everything is good again.

Red - Danath

As GWG has wandered away from the engine room, go there myself and get ready to adjust the speed (assuming I don't need any intelligence skill just to do as i'm told)
You follow Vlad's instructions to the letter. Too bad his instructions were wrong, eh?

Cool. Mind if I suggest some sort of "Ship Status" spoiler for when the ships are so different? It could describe the systems, their capabilities, and their damage.

-----

"Ow! ...Huh. My hand's gone. I should probably be concerned about that."

Wait behind the other starboard cannon and fire if the enemy is in sight. Wonder if I could get a reasonably-priced prosthetic arm somewhere.

You run up to the rear, right cannon and get ready to fire...if the ship ever manages to lazily turn back in that direction.

BLUE

Toastarrr:  Finish cannon loading.
[R2 S1]
You manage to barely load that last shell.

Steven,Blue
Use my man strength to load the shit out of some cannons.
[R4 S0]
Good thing there's no more cannons to load. I probably would have had you drop an explosive shell at your feet.

Slow down to 1, turn left.
[T2 R4 S2]
You slow down to speed 1 and turn left, chasing after the red ship.

Overall, not the best or most exciting turn, eh?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 55