Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 72367 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Airship Combat: Now with More, probably hard to follow, Tutorials
« Reply #225 on: July 22, 2013, 08:59:57 am »

That would require strong winds for the sails to act as a propelling system and not a braking system.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #226 on: July 22, 2013, 10:52:50 am »

That would require strong winds for the sails to act as a propelling system and not a braking system.
And god help you if you end up against the wind. Enjoy tacking for 12 turns to get anywhere.

Anyways; Currently it seems that the final game will be using ACIDSPEW (Agility, charisma, intelligence, dexterity, strength, Perception, Endurance, Willpower) along with 12 major skills, 41 specialized skills.

It will include balloons (though airships in the arena should probably use something else, seeing as how fragile they are), fixed wing craft (the fighters and skiffs) and a third, rather interesting option.

A turn is coming soon, once I'm done with the ER posts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 22, 2013, 11:06:39 am »

Cool on several levels.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 22, 2013, 11:31:03 am »

You ever thought of writing and publishing a game book? Because this is approaching an actual commercial level of complexity.

Maybe even have it be a compilation of your systems (ER, Perplexicon, and Airships).
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 22, 2013, 11:51:14 am »

Airletteicon!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 22, 2013, 11:53:43 am »

I hear Kickstarter is great for stuff like that.
Sig

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #231 on: July 22, 2013, 12:24:54 pm »

Maybe. Although, to be honest, it would probably have to be a compilation. I mean, ER is a very simple system when you think about the basics of it. Perplexicon is even simpler; it's basically just that word list. The fact that Toaster can run a game of it with nothing but my half finished notes shows that. This system, however, is more complex and might be worth bundling up in a file and at least internet publishing. "The End is Near" and "Poison" were the two systems I have in the works that I actually started with the intent of dispersing the rules, so they might work better.

I hear Kickstarter is great for stuff like that.
It is, though I wonder how much I could really ask; and how many people would actually put money towards it. And exactly what I would give as incentives/rewards for different amounts of donations.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 22, 2013, 12:34:52 pm »

That...is an excellent question.

Yeah, Poison+TEiN+this would probably be better than ER+Perplexicon+this.
Sig

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 22, 2013, 12:47:57 pm »

Well, when I was thinking of ER, I wasn't honestly thinking of rules. I was thinking of lore. Stories about the world. Possible modifications, laws, anomalies (especially anomalies!), etc. That kind of stuff, mainly to inspire roleplaying and interesting situations.

And Perplexicon would basically be that list of charts and tables, with possible word combinations, and some advice on how to create these combination. And with a lot of optional stuff like rooms, possible world-saving quests, and other optional ideas.

And then this would be more rules and strategy heavy. So having these system be in a compilation, but have very different approaches to them. That could be fun. Although you can have more than three, wink wink.

Also, the thing about Toaster, is that he had the benefit of being a member of the original Perplexicon, and had plenty of exposure to you. The challenge isn't to teach one of your veteran players how to run your game. (although that's nice.) It is to allow to play someone who has never been to Bay12.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:52:00 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 22, 2013, 12:51:54 pm »

The Perplexicon book would also need to include advice on generating your own words and what new words could be.
Sig

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 22, 2013, 12:53:07 pm »

The Perplexicon book would also need to include advice on generating your own words and what new words could be.
Yeah, so basically:   

Sci-fi World vs Procedural Generation vs Strategy Game

I think you can guess which one I like the most.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 22, 2013, 02:06:03 pm »

Everyone loves procedural generation!

I must agree that it'd be much harder to run the game if I hadn't at least thoroughly read the thread- playing it pretty much from start to finish helped quite a bit as well.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #237 on: July 22, 2013, 04:54:59 pm »

RED
They're within dakka range! Commence dakka!
[T6 R12 S6]
You spray machine gun fire at the blue ship, peppering the back of it's cockpit with rounds and sending streams of hot lead hissing over the deck. You don't do any real damage, but you make sure no one can cross the deck.

((Yay for effective medicine.))

Any change for a switch from squares to measurements? Or hexes?

Also, I think it would be better if we did not know what the other team was doing, only what their ship was doing. You know, keep the tactics secret, create a suspense of what is really happening on their ship. Maybe have each side their own secret topic, and only post the things known to everyone here? And then when the battle is done we could reveal these secret topics.

Red: Vlad

Also, GreatWyrm, we really should continue turning while keeping our speed at two. They won't be able to shoot us, and we'll not be giving up our positioning advantage. I also seem to be bad at explaining to him my ideas. Can somebody (Remuthra?) rephrase it better maybe?

Finish handing out molotovs. Then hide on the Upper Desk. Help Pilate with the controls if he needs it

Cheat Sheet
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You hand 3 moltovs to Sloan, and then head up to the deck and set 3 next to Joe, who seems too preoccupied with shooting to take them from you. Then you make your way up to the cockpit and give three to Pilate  before taking up a spot in the corner; away from the window.

Red - Danath

Hide somewhere nice and safe until the cannons need to be loaded again.

You limp into the ammo dump. Its got metal walls and a heavy pair of doors, so you should at least be safe from the shrapnel. Maybe even a straight hit or two.

Hm. This stuff is hard when I don't have any idea what the opponent is doing.

Maintain speed 2 and turning right, preparing to bail down the ladder if they shoot at me.
[T2. R9. S6]
You spin the wheel toward the right and whistle a jaunty tune. Everything is going great, for now. Vlad even gave you some moltovs! Besides almost dying, today is shaping up to be great!

BLUE

How about someone help me finish loading?  Gotta be ready for broadsides and all that.  Remember- their right side is weaker.

Toastarrr:  Keep on loading standard shells.  Take a shot if it presents itself.

"Arrr, these be heavy, cap'n!"
[R2. S1]
You manage to wiggle the shell into the cannon. No shots can be taken, but at least you manage to load a shell.

Steven, Blue

Scream "TURN LEYFT" while reloading the canon
[R4 S2]
You load another cannon while screaming at no one in particular.

Fashion hang glider.
You slide down the cockpit ladder, intent on crossing the deck and heading down to the supply room to get the parts necessary to build a hang glider. Unfortunately this proves impossible, or at least unwise, seeing as someone is machine gunning the goddamn deck right now. You suppose you could make a run for it, but that seems rather dangerous.

Stay just outside engineering to prevent issues with the heat and my burnable flesh, but if I hear things breaking, go back inside.
You stand around, waiting for something to break. And for your chance to say "I'm giving it all she's got."

Always wanted to say that.

Aww, no fourth-wall-breaking minmaxing. I am disappoint.

Vowel: demote this sack of uselessless straight down the stairs and tell him to get to work. Also turn left aka west and slow down to 2.
[t2 R4 S2]
You keep your head down, steering with your finger tips while you listen to bullets ping off the the wall behind you.

My doctor says I've got critical liver cirrhosis and that if I don't stop drinking, I'm going to die. Well, I told him that If I can't drink, I'm gonna kill myself. And personally, if I get to chose how I die, I prefer a Gin and Tonic to a buckshot cocktail. That shut the bugger up.

Anyways, Seem's like Red's gunner has finally managed to hit something. Not do any damage, but hit something at least.

Everyone loves procedural generation!

I must agree that it'd be much harder to run the game if I hadn't at least thoroughly read the thread- playing it pretty much from start to finish helped quite a bit as well.
I may write up a preplexicon manual and explanation. Host it somewheres. Maybe throw up a donate link for the heck of it.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 22, 2013, 04:57:11 pm »

Man, I hope you end up ok, piecewise. I'm sure we all do.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 22, 2013, 04:57:22 pm »

((The liver thing was the announcer, right?))

Turn left and accelerate. Again, abandon the post if they soot.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 55