Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 72384 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Airship Combat: Now with More, probably hard to follow, Tutorials
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2013, 11:22:56 pm »

"Anything is possible Cael. Pass the bottle, good buddy."

"Here. How drunk can you actually get? Your liver should have probably committed suicide by now."
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2013, 03:10:48 am »

Red- Danath

Wait as Vlad tries to fix my leg.  Help if possible.  Once that's done, reload the cannons, ready to fire again.

Also Cheesecake, I would advise specifying a target, like the engines or the back of the cockpit, not just boom boom :S

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2013, 03:25:30 am »

Steven,Blue

Reminisce in the awesome shot while reloading the cannon.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2013, 05:17:56 am »

You jump over the wreckage of the forward right cannon and take up position at the middle one.
[T4. R6. S2]
You fire, the recoil of the gun pushing you back despite its bindings to the deck. You don't see it hit; you don't see the shell hit the blue ship. You must have missed. You move to the next gun.
[T4. R6. S3.]
Another miss. You pound your fists on the cannon.
Uhhh. Why did he shoot twice?

Also, what about my suggestion about limiting speed change to a single level per turn?

Vowel: realize the effect of my singing on morale. Try to take out another point out of singing (for a total of -1) and put it into piloting. Also, turn left aka NW and speed up to 3.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 05:59:37 am by Dariush »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2013, 06:53:27 am »

"I am not ramming, and if I wanted to I couldn't!"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2013, 01:02:53 pm »

You jump over the wreckage of the forward right cannon and take up position at the middle one.
[T4. R6. S2]
You fire, the recoil of the gun pushing you back despite its bindings to the deck. You don't see it hit; you don't see the shell hit the blue ship. You must have missed. You move to the next gun.
[T4. R6. S3.]

Because you can shoot all three guns on a side in one single turn.  Two blueites said they'd fire the cannon, so we each took one loaded gun and shot up Red.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2013, 03:35:09 pm »

RED
Keep them off the guns!

Sometimes my existence is so simple. Shoot things, then shoot more things. Don't worry about trying to outmanoeuvre, just keep shooting.

You try to turn the gun to face the other ship but it won't reach that far. You spend the next several seconds banging away uselessly, trying to turn the gun farther then it's designed to.

"COME ON, CAP' YOU TOOK THEM OUT OF DAKKA RANGE!"

((Okay, I call shenanigans. The Blues had to turn 45 degrees in order to fire at us. That is supposed to take up an entire turn. I can accept that they were able to fire at us for the purpose of keeping this turn-based, even if real-time they would not have been able to. But at the same time, we didn't need to turn as we were passing them. Exactly how were they able to fire first?!
By the way, another suggestion. When we are turning and moving, it would be neat if our movement path was an arc, not turn and then move.

Also, it's kind of hard to use W/E/N/S when turning. If we were squares, sure, but not as ships.))

Red Team

Name: Vlad

Perhaps we should begin turning a different direction now, that one of our sides is badly damaged. That way we will be able to fight on equal footing again.

Check if Danath is okay. Administer care. (I hope my intelligence will help here.)

Also, if we get another turn before tomorrow night, Remuthra can take charge of my character.

You scramble back down the stairs and over to Danath, who is still laying against the wall.
[T4. R6. S4]
You pull the shrapnel from his leg and bandage the wound shut with some cloth torn from your shirt. It looks like it will hold and should stop the bleeding.

SLOAN

MORE DAKKA! MORE BOOM! FIRE! FIRE!
You watch as the Blue ship drifts away. It gets close, but you can't get a line of fire on the blasted thing! GOD DAMN IT ALL, YOU MUST HAVE BLOOD! YOU MUST HAVE DEATH! BLUE MUST BURN!

Red- Danath

Wait as Vlad tries to fix my leg.  Help if possible.  Once that's done, reload the cannons, ready to fire again.

Also Cheesecake, I would advise specifying a target, like the engines or the back of the cockpit, not just boom boom :S

Vlad helps you to your feet and you immediately begin loading the cannons again.
[R9. S4]
You reload the two available cannons, carrying one shell with each hand. The ship is fully loaded again, ready to fire.

"Dammit! Why didn't you idiots fire the cannons?!?"
Shout at the crew. Slow down to Speed 2 and turn right more. I'd be going west at that point. Prepare to dodge cannonfire by leaping down the ladder if anything shoots at me somehow.
[T2. R9. S4]
You adjust the throttle and the ship's heading, constantly ready to dive head first down that ladder. Better maimed then dead.

BLUE

((Okay, I call shenanigans. The Blues had to turn 45 degrees in order to fire at us. That is supposed to take up an entire turn. I can accept that they were able to fire at us for the purpose of keeping this turn-based, even if real-time they would not have been able to. But at the same time, we didn't need to turn as we were passing them. Exactly how were they able to fire first?!

I don't claim to fully understand everything, but what turns the ship and what propels the ship are two entirely different systems.  One can be operated independently of the other, so I assume the hard turn was swung while the ship was already in motion, giving a quick shot at the ship.

"Arr har har!  Come back and have at ye!

Toastarrr:  Help reload shells!  If there's any way in hell I can get a shot off from a cannon, take it instead!
[R2. S2]
An opportunity to shoot never presents itself, but you manage to get a single shell loaded in the mean time. You return to your position at the cannon afterwards.

Steven,Blue

Reminisce in the awesome shot while reloading the cannon.
[R4. S1]
You get the shell out of the ammo dump and roll it over to the cannon, but can't manage to lift it up and into the barrel. You eventually set it back down and spend a few moments resting and thinking back to the shot you made. God, that was a good goddamn shot. You hope someone was standing behind that cannon. You hope it freaking crushed them.

Tell the captain to ram, ready my saber.

You run up to the cockpit and begin demanding that the captain "Prepare for ramming speed.", insinuating that if he didn't he was "A spineless sack of baby hearts without the courage required of a captain."

Chance way missed, Damien instead books it down to Engineering, to make sue things are going well.
You climb your way down to the third deck and look around. Everything seems to be running smoothly; the engine is running hot enough to turn the entire lower deck into a steamy, 120 degree mechanical hell hole; but at speeds like these you have to expect such things.

[T4. R6. S2]
[T4. R6. S3.]

Also, what about my suggestion about limiting speed change to a single level per turn?

Vowel: realize the effect of my singing on morale. Try to take out another point out of singing (for a total of -1) and put it into piloting. Also, turn left aka NW and speed up to 3.
[t2 R4 S3]
You change heading and keep singing, drowning out the threats from the man beside you.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2013, 03:44:27 pm »

Changelog:

From now on, speed changes by 1 per turn regardless of your engine setting. ie, crank your engine from 0 to 3 and it will take 3 turns to reach top speed. Drop it from 3 to 0 and it will take three turns to stop.

Dev progress:
Still working on ship stuff, thinking of new weapons and items for the ship and players. It's gonna work like this, when it comes to the next round:

1.Team select: 5 people on each team.
2. Character stats: Those 5 people then stat their characters (To prevent whole teams full of pilots etc.)
3. Design your ship: Currently this is a sort of paper doll format. You have a blank ship of 3 decks and a folder full of parts and weapons to buy and then to place in however you like (Following a few rules).
4. Arena is randomly selected: Next turn will have arenas with actual stuff in them. Obstacles and environmental stuff.
5. FIGHT

More info on long term goals later.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2013, 03:58:48 pm »

How about someone help me finish loading?  Gotta be ready for broadsides and all that.  Remember- their right side is weaker.

Toastarrr:  Keep on loading standard shells.  Take a shot if it presents itself.

"Arrr, these be heavy, cap'n!"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2013, 04:01:45 pm »

They're within dakka range! Commence dakka!

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2013, 04:04:35 pm »

Steven, Blue

Scream "TURN LEYFT" while reloading the canon

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 20, 2013, 04:23:14 pm »

Red - Danath

Hide somewhere nice and safe until the cannons need to be loaded again.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 20, 2013, 05:02:07 pm »

Stay just outside engineering to prevent issues with the heat and my burnable flesh, but if I hear things breaking, go back inside.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 20, 2013, 09:32:06 pm »

Hm. This stuff is hard when I don't have any idea what the opponent is doing.

Maintain speed 2 and turning right, preparing to bail down the ladder if they shoot at me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:51:57 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 20, 2013, 09:45:45 pm »

((Yay for effective medicine.))

Any change for a switch from squares to measurements? Or hexes?

Also, I think it would be better if we did not know what the other team was doing, only what their ship was doing. You know, keep the tactics secret, create a suspense of what is really happening on their ship. Maybe have each side their own secret topic, and only post the things known to everyone here? And then when the battle is done we could reveal these secret topics.

Red: Vlad

Also, GreatWyrm, we really should continue turning while keeping our speed at two. They won't be able to shoot us, and we'll not be giving up our positioning advantage. I also seem to be bad at explaining to him my ideas. Can somebody (Remuthra?) rephrase it better maybe?

Finish handing out molotovs. Then hide on the Upper Desk. Help Pilate with the controls if he needs it

Cheat Sheet
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 55