Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Roll to Dodge the Tyger: Turn 20: Fin  (Read 32913 times)

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge the Tyger: Turn 12: Godamn Snakes
« Reply #210 on: August 10, 2013, 10:29:17 am »

Flail wildly at the tiger.

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 10, 2013, 10:40:14 am »

Oh dear Indra, it's getting very wet.  Very, very wet. Annie thinks, a bit panicked.  It seems she'd have to leave after all, even if the rain is beating down hard the cave is quickly turning into a death trap. 

Shaking off some of the water from her outfit, Annie tries to find a way out and fast!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2013, 10:51:35 am »

What will happen when the rain gets more extreme again? Will the area spontaneously change clime into a coastal ocean?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 10, 2013, 03:28:45 pm »

((There are surprisingly few snake-based quotes in Indiana Jones.))
"...There's a big snake in the jungle! I hate snakes, Jock! I hate 'em!"

Run from the snakes. Try to find some kind of fruit-bearing tree.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 10, 2013, 09:12:16 pm »

What will happen when the rain gets more extreme again? Will the area spontaneously change clime into a coastal ocean?
I'm not quite sure. The rain level is also high enough that a 5 will only keep it steady, and a 6 will raise it. 1-4 will lower it.

Its also nice to know that everyone is enjoying the game, although I was looking for rather more concrete criticisms. :(
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 10, 2013, 11:43:14 pm »

((What would you like me to criticize?  I can pick this game apart if you'd like.))

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 11, 2013, 04:40:58 am »

Hmmm... Bit hard to pin down what I think my problems are, but I'll try.
1) Do you feel that I am being fair to everyone and keeping equivalent rolls being about as good?
2) Do you think that I am staying within the rules that I have stated for the game within the thread?
3) What is your opinion on my writing style, and are there any things in particular that you think are unclear or are problematic in general.
4) Do you catch frequent grammar mistakes in my writing, and should that be something that I should aim to focus on (writing wise).
5) Anything else you think is relevant that I could improve on.
6) Anything in particular that you think I am doing well.

That should about cover it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:09:18 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 11, 2013, 11:26:39 am »

Find somewhere to shelter myself from the flood.

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 11, 2013, 01:09:05 pm »

1) Do you feel that I am being fair to everyone and keeping equivalent rolls being about as good?
2) Do you think that I am staying within the rules that I have stated for the game within the thread?
3) What is your opinion on my writing style, and are there any things in particular that you think are unclear or are problematic in general.
4) Do you catch frequent grammar mistakes in my writing, and should that be something that I should aim to focus on (writing wise).

1. Other than that odd salamander ability, I feel you are being quite fair.  Nobody seems to be much safer than the other, not even me.  I'm perfectly alright with whatever system you're using.
2.  I don't claim to pay super attention to all the numbers being inserted into combat, but from what I've seen you seem to be following thread rules.  I certainly can't find anything off, but I can start paying more attention if you'd like.
3. Your writing style is interesting and descriptive.  Sometimes I feel certain paragraphs could be spaced out a tiny bit more as I believe I've seen two people's actions lumped into one paragraph before.  I have to reread some of the results a few times, but I feel I become updated on what's happening  every turn, so there aren't any major issues with understanding.
4. I'm not the one to judge, as I'm in high school, but I do see that there are some mistakes at times, and that it's not "perfect perfect".  None of the mistakes impede my understanding of the events and appear to mostly be simple typos.  Your grammar seems to be some of the best I've seen in forum games so far, so good job there!  My only suggestion if you really want to fix any mistakes is a quick reread before posting.  Spellcheck doesn't fix typos that turn out as a perfectly good word, or tense and plural typos.
5. You may not necessarily be able to fix this, but the game would benefit from updates that are more often.  There were more than a few times when I wondered if this game had died.  The longevity of the turns often leaves me wondering how much time even passed in-game.  It would be helpful to know what day it is.  (Day 2, Day 3)  Sometimes the sheer amount of status effects confuses me, but since they get updated in the character sheet with those handy little mouse-over tabs, it isn't that bad. 
6. I really like how you allow us to do incredibly random things but still keep it all under a central theme.  I also appreciate the complexity of the status effects that give the game a DF feel.  Since I have no issues with games where I'm doomed to lose, I actually completely approve of the difficulty of our opponent.  I also like how thinking smartly increases our chances of survival while stupid actions such as eating fish whole end with amusing retribution.  This was the first RTD I ever joined and it is still one of my favorites.  Please keep going.  :)

((This is all I could think up for now.  Since the game is still ongoing, I'll simply keep looking out for more little things to comment on, if you please.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 11, 2013, 01:47:31 pm »

A bit of explanation of what those effects do would be nice. Does Poisoned mean a -1 penalty to rolls? -2? -5 or -20 Health per turn? How much does having a broken foot impair your ability to run? Do those burns affect anything? Etc.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 11, 2013, 06:46:02 pm »

A bit of explanation of what those effects do would be nice. Does Poisoned mean a -1 penalty to rolls? -2? -5 or -20 Health per turn? How much does having a broken foot impair your ability to run? Do those burns affect anything? Etc.
If you hover your mouse over the status effects they tell you what effects they have. In firefox (and chrome I think) all text with extra information appears underlined with little dots, but it doesn't appear in old versions of IE (although I think it does in the current ones). Pretty much all of the status effects/skills have descriptions.

1. Other than that odd salamander ability, I feel you are being quite fair.  Nobody seems to be much safer than the other, not even me.  I'm perfectly alright with whatever system you're using.
2.  I don't claim to pay super attention to all the numbers being inserted into combat, but from what I've seen you seem to be following thread rules.  I certainly can't find anything off, but I can start paying more attention if you'd like.
3. Your writing style is interesting and descriptive.  Sometimes I feel certain paragraphs could be spaced out a tiny bit more as I believe I've seen two people's actions lumped into one paragraph before.  I have to reread some of the results a few times, but I feel I become updated on what's happening  every turn, so there aren't any major issues with understanding.
4. I'm not the one to judge, as I'm in high school, but I do see that there are some mistakes at times, and that it's not "perfect perfect".  None of the mistakes impede my understanding of the events and appear to mostly be simple typos.  Your grammar seems to be some of the best I've seen in forum games so far, so good job there!  My only suggestion if you really want to fix any mistakes is a quick reread before posting.  Spellcheck doesn't fix typos that turn out as a perfectly good word, or tense and plural typos.
5. You may not necessarily be able to fix this, but the game would benefit from updates that are more often.  There were more than a few times when I wondered if this game had died.  The longevity of the turns often leaves me wondering how much time even passed in-game.  It would be helpful to know what day it is.  (Day 2, Day 3)  Sometimes the sheer amount of status effects confuses me, but since they get updated in the character sheet with those handy little mouse-over tabs, it isn't that bad. 
6. I really like how you allow us to do incredibly random things but still keep it all under a central theme.  I also appreciate the complexity of the status effects that give the game a DF feel.  Since I have no issues with games where I'm doomed to lose, I actually completely approve of the difficulty of our opponent.  I also like how thinking smartly increases our chances of survival while stupid actions such as eating fish whole end with amusing retribution.  This was the first RTD I ever joined and it is still one of my favorites.  Please keep going.  :)

((This is all I could think up for now.  Since the game is still ongoing, I'll simply keep looking out for more little things to comment on, if you please.))
1) Yeah, I shouldn't have given him salamander, it didn't really fit in with the theme of the game, I should have had it be something simpler and more in tune with the rest of the game.
2) Na, you don't really need to, if you haven't really noticed anything problematic then that's good enough for me.
3) Excellent.
4) I'll try to work on that a bit more. I think most of the tense problems are because I have started to use he/she/it and names instead of you, and sometimes I start the post  using you unconsciously, and have to fix it (which necessitates me changing all the tenses and such).
5) I don't have really enough time on the computer to do updates more often right now. When my school starts next week I should paradoxically have more time. I do realize how annoying slow updates are though.
6) You guys weren't actually doomed to lose. The idea was that you would be a group, and would (attempt) to prevail over the jungle and The Tiger. The reason The Tiger was so strong was so that he would be capable of attacking in moments of weakness when one person got separated, or attack two/three people and not die instantly from their combined attacks. Once you all split up (due to the pyro screwing everyone over) you were pretty much doomed. Now, even as a group it would have been fairly difficult, and there was a decent chance you would die, but it was significantly less then 100%.

Its great to know that you are enjoying it so much, and thanks for all the feedback.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 11, 2013, 10:34:01 pm »

Turn 13: Death of a Thousand Cuts

Tony grabs the fish, hoping that the third time will be the charm. Very luckily for him it is. He takes the fish, and using it as a weapon [3-1]v[4] tries to slap Kevin, which in a single fluid motion dodges his attack and gets behind him, and lunges at him [1]v[6-1] , Tony simply rolls out of the way, and swings the fish at Kevin again filled with rage, not even coherent enough to use a proper weapon [1-1]v[3] his rage is almost his undoing however, as yet again Kevin dodges him and strikes at him. [3]v[6-1] But underneath his rage Tony remains a cunning fighter, simply pretending to be out of control so he could [3-1]v[1] finally hit him with a fish. The slap is hard, and without remorse, but in the end, it’s only a small slap with a fish and despite some bruising on the top of his head, Kevin’s body and psyche are unharmed.
((I rolled without being quite sure whether to include your intimidation bonus, and I would have done it in the end if I hadn’t ended up with this ridiculous chain of rolls. If I had included it though you wouldn’t have gotten a hit in at all, so it actually ended up (very very slightly) better this way for you))
[Choking lost]
[+23 HP from recovering from choking]
[Kevin loses 2 HP]
[Kevin is bruised on the top of his head]
[-1 HP from bleeding]

[6]v[1-1] Enraged by being hit with a fish, Kevin charges Tony, and grabbing his hand between his jaws pulls him off his feet and drags him into the river. On the bright side he is safe from the pouring rain for now.
((He grabbed the arm that wasn’t holding the fish, so if you want to get your knife out you need to drop it))
[Right Arm in a crocodiles mouth]
[-5 HP]
[Light Bleeding]

[2] Joe sees the rain getting more intense, and realizes that without cover he will soon get blown away. In his attempt to escape the rain he trips and slides down a gully and hits his head on an exposed rock. [5]v[2-1] Trapped at the bottom of the gully, there is nowhere for him to run to escape from the water. A current forms, and its all he can do to avoid being smashed to a paste against the walls of the small gully he is trapped in. As it is, he feels rather like a pinball. When the water finally deposits him a few feet after the end of the gully, his head has a large gash on it and he feels like he was up all night drinking.
[-5 HP]
[concussion]
[-30 HP]
[ Heavy Bleeding]

[1]v[5], [6]v[1] His fire is similarly lucky, although it manages to hold out against the rain initially, in the end it ends up completely washed away.

[5] In a burst of athleticism, Blake sets off running straight down the hill. Even in the pounding rain he has no trouble at all escaping from the slow snakes without losing his footing. [2]v[6] Despite the rain trying halfheartedly to sweep him off his feet, he keeps his balance without any problems.
[4][Poison cured]

[4-1-1]v[4+1] Jake twists his body in a last desperate attempt to get The Tiger off of him. He fails completely however, The Tiger simply has a much better position than he does, not to mention being much stronger and not dying of a thousand cuts. After a few minutes he slows, and finally drifts off into slumber from the blood loss. The trip from sleeping to death is a quick one, and nobody even notices when he expires.
[2 light bleedings cured]
[-7 HP from bleeding]
[2+1] The Tiger waits, and sniffs the body. Yup, definitely still alive it thinks. Better wait to eat it till some more of the blood drains out. [1]v[6+1] The rain stays away from The Tiger, seemingly afraid to even get near him.

[6-2] Annie runs over to the edge of the cave, and although it is extremely slippery manages to climb out without any trouble. [4]v[4] Once out however, the wind picks up, and only by grabbing a nearby tree does she manage to avoid getting blown away.

[1] For the first time in a very long time, the rain begins to slow. The winds first slow then stop, and then the solid sheets of rain begin to have a few small holes in them. Its still raining hard though, and the river is still very turbulent, but its still significantly drier then it was just a few minutes ago.
-----
Time of day: 6 PM (Night in 1 turns)
Weather: Downpour, Turbulent River
-----
Spoiler: Blake; GreatWyrmGold (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Joe Bridger; Remuthra (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Annie Marie; Lalasa (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Tiger (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RIP Jake Blake; Chink (click to show/hide)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Dodge the Tyger: Turn 13: Death of a Thousand Cuts
« Reply #222 on: August 11, 2013, 10:37:46 pm »

What about the fire?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 11, 2013, 11:11:00 pm »

Not underlined in Chrome. And I didn't and don't see any rollover text.

Locate shelter and another survivor. And food.
Sig

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2013, 12:01:29 am »

After a bit of checking, the abbr tag is supposed to be supported by all major browsers, (excluding IE 6 and earlier). ((Source

But after checking in chrome, it doesn't quite work there. Now, this is a pretty major deal for you, since quite a lot of RTD's besides mine use abbr (the majority but a pretty significant amount) to convey information about items and skills, and you have probably missed out on quite a bit by not being able to see it.

That said, it still *does* partially work in chrome. Text isn't underlined with dots, but rollover still works, as you can see if you roll over this line.

Now, I can't really fix this any way, and it isn't worth it to take all the text and item and ability descriptions and put them in plain text somewhere else in the post, since it will clutter it up pretty badly, and even if I did that wouldn't change things in other RTD's by other people. So that leaves you with 3 options A) Use non-chrome while reading my RTD, B) quote my post and read it in the editor, which will pit all the abbr tags in plain text like all other formatting, C) Continue using chrome like normal without being able to see item descriptions (a pretty sub-optimal solution, but a solution none the less).

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21